1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey there

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by lulu62, Sep 22, 2014.

1. lulu62

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey guys...in need of advice/ideas/anything you have to say...

I've been dating my girlfriend for 4 years. Her parents are okay with our relationship. I told my mom four years ago and she said horrible things to me...now she acts like it never happened. The rest of my family doesn't know. My girlfriend and I are talking about getting engaged soon but I don't know what to do. Sometimes I think marrying a guy would be easier than losing my family..... :/ I'm really scared to tell my family and I've been depressed about it for a long time. My girlfriend and I are both out of college and we're ready to be engaged.....I'm just not sure what to do next about my family....:bang:

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome!

Who's marrying your girlfriend? Your family or you? Even if it's hard to fathom, remember you should not feel obligated to appease homophobia. Don't let your mom ruin your life forever. It's a learned disease, IMO, and it can be unlearned if a person is willing. You might consider coming out to other family members who seem more supportive.

3. Blossom85

Hi there Hun and welcome..

I do agree with the above poster.. It would be nice if our families were all supportive of our relationships and how we choose to live our life, but it is not your mothers life.. It is your life and you need to do what makes you happy.. I don't think marrying a man would make things better.. It is not going to make you happy, and you don't want to start resenting your family because you are living a lie and are unhappy.. Just live your life for you.. Be happy and if they don't accept you.. Then that is their cross to bear.. Not yours.

4. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  5. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  6. Hexagon

Welcome to EC