1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medical Marijuana

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Oct 1, 2014.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What's your opinion on Medical Marijuana? (Or as it's spelled here in Michigan, "Marihuana") Do you think it should be legal? It's legal here in Michigan, and I've been thinking about applying for a card as it really does help with depression and anxiety. I have an aunt who has her card in California for Fibromyalgia and it works wonders for her.

Should it be legal for just medical patients, or for anyone and everyone?

2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I support the full legalisation of marijuana for whatever purpose. It's so easy to come by and the law is so loosely enforced that it might as well be legal.

3. timo

Marijuana should be state regulated and available for anyone 18+.

4. BelleFromHell

Yes, marijuana should be legal, both medically and non-medically.

5. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It should definitely be legal. I don't care about the potential for abuse if it can legitimately help patients, especially since it has such a low risk for addiction and can actually replace terrible drugs like opiates and amphetamine derivatives for some people.

6. Candace

I like it, medically speaking, provided that you have a prescription from your doctor. We use herbs and stuff like that for remedies and helping alleviate problems with ailments and diseases anyway, so why not.

7. Hexagon

Everyone.

8. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just noticed this was about more than just medical. It should be legal for everyone. I support the legalization of all substances for human consumption, because keeping them illegal is what funds a lot of the violence going on in the world right now. People will use them anyway.

9. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Medical and recreational weed should be legal. It is in my home state of Colorado and it works out fine there.

10. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Of course it should be legal for both medical and recreational purposes. Far too many people are wrongly treated as criminals for enjoying such a wonderful substance.

11. Ashley2103

Blargh, one of those questions I want to answer, but can't.

12. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This times 2.

13. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it should be legal in general, but definitely for medical use. Just in terms of pain relief alone, it's much less dangerous than opiate-based pills, such as Oxycontin, and other physically addictive opioids.

People have stated concerns about the risks involved in the actual 'smoking' of it, but one can bake it into foods, or use a vaporizer to eliminate these risks.

14. FrenchKid98

This times 3 :slight_smile:

What would be the best would be something similar to the Netherlands except doing it all the way and by that I mean that shops (or coffee shops in the case of the Netherlands) should not have to rely on illegal grow operations to obtain marijuana to sell.
    I also think people should be allowed to grow a small number of plants for personal use only.

15. SomeLeviathan

I'm not pro "whole plant" cannabis legalization for medical purposes (I am for recreational purposes) but medicine needs to be relatively consistent. THC has already been isolated into Marinol and I'd be in favor of expanding the use of that for certain conditions. Isolation of CBD/CBN and then testing for efficacy, either in combination with THC or by themselves. You don't smoke opium poppies or make tea to get the medical benefits of the active compounds, introduction of inconsistent plants into medicine is something of which I'm very hesitant.

for example, lack of consistency control and regulation has the potential to hurt children: http://www.sgvtribune.com/health/20...-of-childrens-cannabis-fear-desire-regulation

as well as anyone else who is using medical cannabis under a lot of the current systems.

This of course would require federal rescheduling of THC and associated compounds to at least S2 for medical purposes.

Recreationally I don't give a fuck (of course outside of ensuring the product isn't laced with other drugs or will do serious damage, like being sprayed with dangerous pesticides if inhaled), but for medical purposes, the current system does not protect patients.

tldr: more regulation and control in medical areas, phasing out use of the entire plant/bud/flower in favor of consistency and efficacy testing to protect patients.

16. FrenchKid98

It would be great to achieve that for medical use but from some tests/studies/research that have been made, it was shown that the pain killing effect or whatever other looked after effects for different health issues was not necessarily the same when the specific compounds were taken separately and some medical users said that they didn't get the desired effect.

17. SomeLeviathan

Citation please.

You also appear to have missed the point where I said combination products could be done.

18. Dakeli27

I think any marijuana should be legal. Prohibition does not work, and it never has. Medical marijuana, however, has next to no reason NOT to be legal.

19. Jenna0780

I think it should be legal for everyone, but not for medical use.

Nah, just kidding. That'd be strange.

20. FrenchKid98

It was in a documentary I saw on YouTube. I'll try to find it for you.
    I do get that you can combine those extracts but what the patients said is that they didn't have the same effect than when vaporizing the plant itself (or smoking it, although a lot of medical patients use vaporizers that have no adverse health effects). Then again maybe the compounds were not extracted correctly or the dosage was not right.

I get why you see a problem with the smoking as it can be carcinogenic and that's why a lot of medical patients use vaporizers, like I wrote above.