1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the first baby step

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MN Writer, Oct 1, 2014.

1. MN Writer

So this might seem really silly to everyone here, but last night I think I took the first baby step towards accepting and outwardly expressing my true gender by painting my toenails. My wife, who is being amazingly open and supportive of this recent revelation was nice enough to let me use her nail-polish and I have to say that, despite the amateur paint-job, every time I looked down at my toes I felt really, truly happy. It was like FINALLY one external part of myself reflected the truth that's been inside all along.

True, everything else about me is still male and everything that anyone else sees will reflect male, but inside of the male-shoes I'm wearing to work, I know there is a part of me that's being true to who I really am. I'm sure the novelty will wear off eventually and I'll start going to greater lengths to express this inner feminine outwardly, but I wanted to share this with all of you here. I won't claim to be brave, since I'm still hiding who I am from the outside world, but I hope that this silly little thing will inspire one of you out there to be true to yourself, even if it's something small and simple; even if it's something that only you know about. I cannot put into words how relieving it was to do this, to just accept who I was without worrying about what anyone else thought about it.

have any of you had similar experiences that you'd care to share?

2. Leader233

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very nice especially that she is understanding. Communication is the basis of any relationship. You can also try lingerie under your clothing.

3. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

You go, Girl! (*hug*) This is *not* silly. This is AWE-sum. xD

Today, I plan to shave at least my thighs, and Friday I'm going to order sexy undies and a "toy" :icon_redf from Amazon.

What color polish did you use?

4. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a bit of a tomboy, but I do love nail polish and the novelty of having painted toenails lasted surprisingly long. It hasn't fully worn off even now that everything else on the outside reflects who I am. I'm guessing if nail polish wasn't awesome people wouldn't paint their nails. :slight_smile:

5. MN Writer

Yes, my wife has been amazingly understanding about this. We even had a rather candid discussion about me possibly making the transition and she was very receptive and open about it. I can tell that some parts of it make her a bit uncomfortable (especially if I decided to have SRS) because she married a male, after all, but at the same time she told me that it wasn't all that surprising to her. We've always kind of joked that I was more of a woman than she normally is, so I don't think this came as much of a shock. We've actually been down this road (sort of) a few years ago when I explored a bit of cross dressing but as with all the other times in my life I ended up suppressing and denying that part of myself.

Starfleet: it's midnight purple and I just LOVE it!

The Leryous: that is good to know that the novelty still hasn't worn off. I cannot even express in words what it felt like to do that and it be okay. I'd done it many many years ago when I was a teenager but my step-mother at that time saw my toes and made fun of me, so I never really did it again. It makes me sad to think that I let some person I don't even know anymore prevent me from discovering and expressing this earlier in life, but the past is the past. =)

6. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Good for you, all around. (*hug*) It sounds like you're in a great place in life, and that does me a lot of good to hear about it. :slight_smile:

Midnight Purple sounds AWE-sum. xD

7. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    Omg gurl this aint silly, its one step closer to the person you want to be.

---------- Post added 1st Oct 2014 at 07:51 AM ----------

I paint my nails all the time, it always makes me feel all girly and fluttery.

8. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    not silly at all. i've considered it more than once but i've just never gotten the nerve. soon though. totally awesome by the way.

9. AsheTheHuman

Oh good job! I've only started shaving, but I'm trying to do A LOT of stuff later in the month once I go to an Anime Con and get a nice long break from school.

10. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This last summer, I stopped shaving my legs and haven't shaved them since July. It feels great, but I keep getting flak from my mom that "girls need to shave." It's not easy to hide because I'm an athlete and have to wear shorts a lot. Otherwise, I've been binding (which no one but me notices, because I have a small breast anyways), and I've been changing my posture and body movements to be more masculine. :slight_smile:

11. IcyRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I went to the mall and bought the cutest jacket ever at Forever 21. Of course I'm not actually going to get to wear it ever, but knowing it's mine is a good feeling even if it's just going to sit in my closet forever.

Ohhhh and I shaved the hair on my abdomen. Not sure about my legs yet. I want to, but I remember a few years ago when I was out with my mom and she pointed out a guy with his legs shaved and talked about how weird it was.

12. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Nice! :slight_smile: For now, I'm looking at clothes and such on Amazon. Shopping is always relaxing. :slight_smile: Don't have to spend, just look and compare.

13. MN Writer

@Tai: I'm sorry to hear that you are having to hide who you really are, believe me, I know the feeling. The more I open myself to this revelation that I'm trans, the more I'm realizing this was present in me all along. I repressed myself so much because of the fear I had of what others around me would think. I won't encourage you to do anything you aren't ready for, but I will tell you that I wish I'd been able to tell my friends and family at a younger age. I believe it would have saved me a great deal of sadness and anxiety in the long run and I could have decided to embark on my transition sooner. Maybe that isn't an option for you but if you think it is, you should really consider it. I know it is scary, believe me, it can be downright terrifying, but we can only ever be brave when we are scared. Every day our world is becoming more tolerant and open to people like us. It's not perfect, I know that, but there are encouraging news stories like this one Advice to a Transgender Homecoming Princess: How to Handle the Media Frenzy - Dara Hoffman-Fox that give me hope that one day soon we can all be true to ourselves.

@IcyRose: Maybe this will inspire you and maybe it won't, but since I painted my toenails I've gone outside with my gloriously purple toes exposed twice now (to walk my dog around my apartment complex). It was scary, especially when other people came by. I felt a compulsive urge to hide my toes for fear that someone would remark on them but no one has. I'm sure eventually someone will and I've decided that when they finally do ask me why my toes are painted I'm going to proudly state that they are painted because I like the color. It's taken me almost 29 years to realize that no matter what, nothing matters more than being true to yourself, even if being yourself can be a bit scary. But more scary than being true to yourself, is constantly living in fear of what you really are, of continuing to deny part of yourself because of what other people "might" think. I refuse to do that anymore, which is why I won't hide my painted toenails when given the choice. I think you should wear that jacket and if anyone makes fun of you, you just ignore them and be yourself regardless of their opinion. Don't fight back, just be who you are.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi

14. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Well Done, MN Writer. :slight_smile: You go, girl. (*hug*)

15. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Hi Everypony! Today to celebrate my coming out MtF to my mom, she bought me Revlon Extravagant nail polish and Katy Perry 'Killer Queen' perfume. xD I really feel like a Diva now! xD

16. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, MN Writer. I want to come out this weekend or next (this one if I want to get it over with; next if I choose to come out on National Coming Out Day). I have my letter on a document, and now I just have to copy it down with my handwriting. So if everything goes right, I'll be coming out at 16 and will get a therapist if they are understanding. Writing a letter is easier than speaking face to face, but it's also terrifying imagining them reading it and then coming into my room to talk about it. But I will be coming out at an early age. Thanks for your advice.

17. MN Writer

I applaud your courage more than you could possibly know. You are far braver than I was at 16, so just know that no matter what happens, you are miles ahead of many of us who were too afraid or confused to come out in our teens.

I don't know if you decided to do it over the weekend or if you are waiting until next weekend but you are in my thoughts. No matter what, take courage for there is no greater happiness than being true to one's self.