1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello :)

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by mittens, Oct 1, 2014.

1. mittens

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Good day to you all :slight_smile: Oh dear, where would I even begin.

I'm a 33 year old gent with a wife and children. I recently (over the summer) came out. I came out as bisexual to my wife, genuinely feeling that way. After some level of acceptance had passed, I admitted to myself and to my wife that indeed I am gay. It has been a turbulent journey filled with pain, confusion, and more of both.

I don't understand this process at all. Each day I wake up I feel like a totally different person. I've taken the step to join this community today because, after a lot of soul-searching and seeing myself as I am, I realise how negative I've become. Each day I want to be there for my wife - I love her so deeply - but right now I'm of no use to her. I get so confused of how I feel it overshadows in my head the pain she also feels. I haven't really had anyone to speak with about coming out or how I feel. I am hoping that by reaching out here I will find some level of comfort and understanding. Of not feeling alone. I can't begin to be the person I want to be until I've come to some level of acceptance and understanding. Today is about taking steps for me :slight_smile:

I look forward to getting to know you. Cheers, you awesome people

(the above is the wayyyyyy condensed version of my little coming out story. I didn't want to include a novel length post as my first, but would love to talk with someone about my experience).

2. Candace

Hello and welcome to EC! :smilewave :welcome: It's a pleasure to meet you :slight_smile:

3. mittens

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you, Candace! A pleasure to meet you too. I was intimidated about writing here for a very long time. Your waving happy face and welcome sign put me at ease! Have a super day!

4. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A very warm welcome to EC.

In the support area, we have an LGBT Later in Life message board and I'd really encourage you to browse through some of the recent (and not so recent) postings on there. You will find many members who post on that board are going through exactly the same process as you (or have been there). If you share your own story on there I'm confident you will get lots of useful support, encouragement and advice.

I'm sure you are hurting a lot right now, but you have joined a supportive community and we'll help you as much as we can. Don't be afraid to join in. :slight_smile:

5. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Hi mittens, you are among friends here. :slight_smile: I'm here if you'd ever like to talk.

6. AsheTheHuman

Hello, and welcome to EC; My name's Ashley! I'll put in a second recommendation toward browsing and posting in the LGBT Later in Life section. You're definitely NOT alone.

7. Leader233

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi welcome to the site. I have known several people who came out later in life.

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome! I love your username.

9. Candace

Hello and welcome to EC! :smilewave :welcome: It's a pleasure to meet you :slight_smile:

10. Blossom85

Hi there and Welcome to EC,

This site is the right place for you and as the others mentioned, I think the LGBT later in life section will be a good area of the forum for you to read through and post as you like, there is a lot of people who come out later in life and it's nothing to be ashamed of.. This time in your life is going to be very confusing and hard at times, so please don't be scared of posting here so we can help you out as best we can.

11. bi2me

Welcome! I'll third the notion of browsing the Later in Life section. I've found it really helpful to realize there are a lot of people out there who have come to the realization that they are not straight after being married and having kids (or some of that).

12. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people