1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When is it selfish versus happiness?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Tat, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Tat

Tat

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi.

This is my first post.

I've known I've been bi for many years. So has my husband, since day 1, 10 years ago. But my desire to be with a woman has increasingly become stronger over the years.

We have two children, 9 and 8. He hasn't been into me romantically or sexually since the 8 year old was born. We went a year without sex, basically all of last year.

I've had female relationships in the past. He really didn't care. About basically anything.

He is a great/nice guy, we went to counseling this year. We are in a better place, I don't resent him or have the anger I did before. He actually seems to acknowledge I exist. But the counseling changed nothing about our relationship. He loves his boat and golf. He does lots of work to be good at those things. But nothing to put an effort into us. No romance, and a few times we had sex, but it was mundane.

Then....

I met a girl. She is AMAZING. I'm head over heels for her. I could write a book about how I feel about her. He found out. Now he was me to choose. And to be honest, I can't even imagine being with him or a guy again.

He confuses me. He says that he chooses me, that he wants to be with me. But a couple of months ago he said he never has really seen me as his sexual partner. And when I talked about people who have a fun sex life, he said "I'm just not that guy."

I'm so torn. Do I give up romance, intimacy, happiness for the sake of the children and because he really is a nice guy.

Am I unrealistic that all relationships eventually get to a point where its just more a friendship and really no romance? Should we settle for that? Are we being selfish? People who stay together for a lifetime, do they have something special or do they just settle?

Hi again. I'm sorry, I'm just confused. Very confused.

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Children are very resilient. So long as you provide for them, give them the love they deserve, continue to have both parents participate in their lives, while painful, they should be able to get through their parents breaking up. I am not sure staying together for the sake of the kids in an unhappy relationship makes sense. Your unhappiness will be apparent to them, to your spouse, and that may be potentially damaging just as well.

3. CyclingFan

I think you have a right to pursue your happiness. It's more complicated with your children, obviously, and it's important that they be taken cqre of but its not selfish to want to be happy.

---------- Post added 20th Oct 2014 at 02:37 PM ----------

Also, welcome.

You will likely find other people here who are facing or have faced similar situations. I have and its been extremely helpful.

4. Tat

Tat

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I just sometimes wonder, outsiders would say, oh hey... what a great relationship they have. Because we are friends, I do enjoy his company, we have great conversations. But I'm so lonely. You should see/feel our mattress, there is a big hump in the middle from no one ever lying there.

5. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Outsiders"? Not sure what other say should be relevant to your happiness.

6. DarkestDream

It doesn't matter how things look to the outside world. They don't have to live with what you live with. What about YOU?

You're not being selfish for wanting to be happy. HE'S being selfish for not making an effort when you're not happy. It's great that you can both get along, but relationships shouldn't just SETTLE. Good, strong relationships are give, and take, working together for the benefit of both of you. Not saying they're EASY, but they don't just settle, they continue to bring the right balance for both parties.

As it's been said, your children will adjust, as things in your lives may change, as long as they have your support and love. You have to take care of YOU. Don't stay with him just for the kids. That will be a miserable and painful existence. Been there, done that. Your well being is important, too.

#6 DarkestDream, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  7. Tat

Tat

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Wow, great points @USUK and @DarkestDream (and thank you @cyclingfan). I guess my 'outsiders' comment was do I really have it bad or not? Maybe I expect too much???

I've really thought that about why he doesn't put an effort in. He researches the boat, spends hours repainting it, lovingly touching it... I would love that. But no. I get a peck kiss in the morning and at night. That's it.

But my girlfriend, omg... it is like fireworks. Even my neighbor commented on how he sees sparks between us. But does that wear off? I've never had a long relationship with someone where I've felt that. So I just don't know.

Where is the owners manual to my life?!??! :wink:

8. DarkestDream

Yes, I've often wished for a manual myself lol. The sparks are the initial connection between you. Whether or not you have a lasting connection remains to be seen, given how much you interact with each other. :slight_smile:

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree with the others your happiness is more important , and kids would rather see their mommy happy than sad or upset .:slight_smile:

10. Tat

Tat

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    We've seen each other almost daily for two months. But that is still really new. I'm not dumb enough to think something this new is perfect and the reason to end my marriage. So I'm trying to base my decision on everything aside from that.

I have to base it on the fact he just isn't into me, despite everything I've done to be attractive.

Let me just say for anyone who may ever read this thread, if someone isn't into you, it isn't about you, it's about them.

I was spending hours in the gym, had a nice tight ass, and still, showed no interest.

Anyways, it's just hard to make the break. I just don't want to do something dumb. Before her, I thought I could just survive in this relationship. Now I FEEL. I feel. Love. Energy. Amazing.

I now know I can't go back to that. Damn, it's hard.

11. Tat

Tat

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Awww, thank you @Really... I've been a stalker of this site for a few days before posting so did run across those threads. They were super awesome and helpful!

I guess where I'm struggling is that I've been out of the closet to many for a long time. I know my orientation. I am gay, I'm bi - my family knows, my husband knows. It's actually kinda crazy how many people in my family and my husbands, who are gay. (LOVE it!!!!, like super proud of our gayness!!!)

I just wish my husband would come out as gay and say hey baby, that's why I didn't want to do your bootie.

Instead I've gone years wondering what is wrong with my bootie. Meanwhile, fell for an amazing girl after giving my marriage 110%.

Wow. Ummm. I'm getting closer and closer to my answer. Love wins.

LOVE wins!!!

Ugh. Now comes the hard part. Money, house.... all that stuff.

12. Spaceman

To answer a question from your original post, I think many, many people (straight and gay) "settle" and stay in relationships that have lost their spark. People fear change and the path of least resistance is the easiest one to follow.

Successful long term relationships take work. The honeymoon period will end and that's when both people need to prove their commitment to making it last. It sure sounds like your husband has given up trying. In my book, that gives you all the reason you need to make a change.

As for the kids, it sounds like a cliche, but they really are resilient. In the past year, my kids have lived though the separation of their parents, moving to a new town, starting new schools and building new friendships. They're handling it all amazingly well...much better than I expected. I think it's because their mother and I are both committed to being engaged in their lives and they've never doubted that they will alway have the unconditional love of both of their parents.

Best of luck to you in whatever path you choose.

13. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, welcome to EC

staying for the kids won't help the kids one "jot" they know it isn't working and that mom and dad aren't happy. my ex and i stayed longer than we should of, i rationalized that i was staying for the good of the kid (even as i knew that was bull) i rationalized alot of ways. since we split, he is happier, more relaxed and just able to be the kid that he wasn't before. I'm happier too, and able to pursue my own journey as i please. He sees me as happier, for the most part, and i've even lost some weight. my point is that it's your life, your path, your husband and "outsiders" cannot and should not dictate who you are and who you can be. and the kids will be Ok, as long as they are loved, provided for and let to be kids.

14. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Tat, welcome to EC!

In any couple there are three entities: the two partners, and the relationship. Yes, that thing we call a "relationship" is an entity unto itself, it requires being taken care of, with intention and commitment.

One of the biggest problems in families today is to put the kids above the relationship; to consider them more important than the connection between the parents. This is a fundamental mistake...with the outcome that, after the kids move out (it happens sooner than you think!), there is nothing left between you!

It is obvious he has made no effort to build and maintain your relationship, if you want to escape that, why is that selfish? He wants to maintain the status quo without doing the work to keep it healthy, how is that NOT selfish?

15. Tat

Tat

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    @greatwhale @looking for me and @Spaceman,

Thank you for replying, I appreciate it!

He says he is trying. He says how much he loves me. But again, I get back to the boat/golf. One of our biggest arguments was when he was putting tile down. He went online, researched it and was so intent and focused on it, I said I wish you put that effort into me.

He's just never going to be that guy. I just worry that I'll let him go and end up alone. I think that is a big thing, being alone. And I really do love and care for him. But now, it's just as a friend.

Since my girlfriend and I started seeing each other two months ago, I've lost weight, I feel younger, I bought new clothes. My best friend even knew right away that I found someone. She said "you look happier and hotter than I've ever seen you."

I told my husband that and he said I sounded like any other person having an affair.

He did say though that we'd be good, that it would be a very amicable split. And hence my confusion, he says he chooses me - he doesn't show it in action - and then he talks about how amicable our split would be. I sometimes thinks he wants it to be over as well.

Sorry my thoughts are all over the place.

16. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If he said he'd be reasonable and amicable during a split; you have no idea how lucky you are!

He may consider the work he is doing in your shared home as a gesture of love, that is not to be discounted, everyone has their own love language and this may be his way of demonstrating his love. He may also be the type that simply enjoys building things, that is just the way some men are. But he is oblivious to what your love-language is, he simply doesn't seem to understand that the effort he has to make is, first and foremost, to understand what you need.

17. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    the Robin Williams quote comes to mind here: the worst thing is not to be alone but to be with people who make you feel alone. (paraphrase)

18. Tat

Tat

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    @greatwhale, that is what he said - that he does those things to show love. Which I do appreciate. However after 6 months of counseling, the counselor telling him step by step what to do, he still doesn't / hasn't done those things.

@looking for me, I saw that quote yesterday and almost cried. That's exactly how I feel, alone.

I think it is inevitable. I just am not ready to face a split. It's going to be so painful. Especially because he is perfectly content and I'm going to make a decision that will deeply hurt someone I love. But I can't live without love and affection. And I really want a life with a woman, I've wanted it for years.

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it is any consolation, it may very well be that he needs this less-than-pleasant "life lesson". Any crisis, any failure can either be done badly or well. Why not choose to take this "failure" (a lie, just as success is a lie) as an opportunity to learn.

In actuality, no loving relationship can be called a failure. It was a worthwhile experience for both of you...it is tragic, sad and uncomfortable to make such a radical change, but it's for the sake of love, not only for you but for him as well. He can, if he takes this event in the proper spirit, learn much from this and eventually, having learned this relatively harsh lesson, he may find someone that inspires him to the same extent that you are inspired with your GF.

Just one caveat (a little dose of clear-sighted realism), I noticed that you mentioned above that you observed other couples that seem to have a more exciting time with each other...just know that appearances can be deceiving. Understand that pretty much every relationship has issues, just as your relationship with your GF may turn up issues that could surprise or even disappoint you. You are in the honeymoon phase, it can distort somewhat your sense of reality.

What I am saying, essentially, is that you yourself need to be happy with the possibility of being alone. It does not necessarily follow that because you are leaving a loveless marriage that you will immediately find the love you seek...life is just a lot more complicated than that...