1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Shooting at Canadian Parliament

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AAASAS, Oct 22, 2014.

1. AAASAS

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was reported just now that the soldier who was injured during this morning's shooting at the War Memorial has died. I was in Ottawa this weekend, I stood at that same exact spot...It also appears that they are looking for a second suspect in the downtown area.

4. Candace

This is just horrible :S I'm sorry to hear that that has happened.

5. lion12

When I casually opened a newspaper website during my lunch break today, I expected anything but this. It's horrible. St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, then Ottawa. Both soldiers. I don't know how to feel. I can't believe it happened. Here. Or anywhere. Things like that shouldn't happen. Innocent people shouldn't die and people should get the help they need, not shoot others. I know we live in a generally safe country, I know it could be worse, I know other people are from countries where there's war. But I'm shocked.
    Apparently the shooter from the parliament wasn't part of a terrorist and was acting alone.
    The soldier who died was a 24 year old father.
    I can only wish that things like that will stop happening. All my thoughts go to the family of the soldier who died and to everyone who's been affected by this.

6. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    the shooter is mentally ill

7. lion12

Yeah. I just wish he could have gotten the help he needed before it was too late.

8. Eric

This was by far one of the weirdest days I've had since moving to Ottawa. The sheer amount of misinformation that spreads over the course of the day is incredible. It's absolutely shocking that this happened here, of all places, and I was sad to hear the soldier shot at the war memorial died.

9. AlamoCity

Very sad day for Canada. I am very sorry for the loss of the Canadian service member's life.

That said, one of the "best" things that happened is that it exposed Americans to the fact that Ottawa is the capital of Canada. Canberra is another country's capital people often get wrong. We Americans are, in general, horrible at geography.

10. micstar615

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hearing about this has me frightened :frowning2: Canada is generally such a safe place...I'm hoping this isn't related to terrorists and it's just a mentally ill guy but I'm quite worried.

11. Gallatin

Very upsetting news. The death of the soldier is tragic. Thankfully this guy was stopped before he could kill anymore people.

12. arkemdis

arkemdis Guest

As an agnostic...but from a muslim background...I am very concerned why are some canadians buying into the radical islamic idea. That guy in St.Jean was like that...he seemed so attractive and playfull..why join such an ideal?

I am trying my best to escape it...why would you join it?...I guess the promise of the after life can be such a tonic for a distraught life..which he seemed to have been having.

Quiet obsessed these days with males who choose this path of life...the theme is that they usually seem to be stuck of feeling they have no purpose or something...:/.

:frowning2:

I wish the world would have a big meeting discussing what is it that we as humans should see as an ideology. This whole you 'decide' is causing confusion and heartache..and makes it easy to abuse young minds for political purposes.

I mean the whole ISIS thing is so disgustingly political..muslims have so many sectors and the men just hide behind the cover of religion..but its all about dominance and glory...not that religion is not to be blamed in my opinion. They want their 'kind' to dominate. It is so tribal and disappointing.

I even met gay guys who seem to have a slight intrigue about islam...I guess you don't know what an ideology is like until it is applied :/.

#12 arkemdis, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014
  13. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He was obviously mentally ill, and people like that are sometimes drawn to these extremist ideologies. I'm sure they feel like it does give meaning to their life.

14. arkemdis

arkemdis Guest

But the word mentally ill I feel is a problem...because it is such a vague word...what is he ill with?...you can't go to a doctor and treat such a thing? or can you?

I feel it alienates people who have this issue. There should be a legitimate resource for discussing the philosophies of life and what is good/flawed about them. This is something that I think education right now lacks, and does not prevent.

Just a few days ago someone was talking about how beautiful the idea of karma is...I told them as I come from the middle-east..the idea of karma is used abusively by underpaying everyone because 'good will' is enough.

A few days later that Microsoft guy is busted for using that concept to justify underpaying women. What I am saying is people should be taught and helped how to deconstruct ideologies in order not to get abused. I think anyways.

I had a girl friend who lost all her money pursuing virtue through joining jehova's witness or something...and now she's hospitalized because of how devastated she is over being brainwashed like that.

15. Pluie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was in History class when it was happening, and around our notes on Louis XIV people were checking Twitter and news sites and texting their friends at uOttawa (which was under lockdown) and it was just really scary. I don't even live near Ottawa but I was so anxious all afternoon, because both me and my girlfriend want to go to uOttawa and the girl next to me was texting her boyfriend who's there... Like what if it were my girlfriend?! I would be a wreck. And everyone wants to talk about it but it just makes me really panicky.

16. Blossom85

Very sad news.. May he rest in peace.

17. Hel

Hel

Very sad news.

18. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  19. Beetle

I live in Ottawa, and though I don't live or work downtown where it happened, they wound up cutting the power grid which is connected to our part of town too, and we all left work early because of it. People were worried and were keeping up with the news/twitter at their computers while it was happening. It's sad...didn't think stuff like this happened in Canada.