1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended Reading?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by TheStormInside, Oct 24, 2014.

1. TheStormInside

Are there any books you could all recommend that have helped you during the questioning/accepting/coming out process? My therapist lent me a book called "Loving Someone Gay." It's interesting thus far. Occasionally I read something that hits home so closely I have to resist the urge to chuck the book across the room. But its last publication was in the 90s so I'm finding it to be a bit dated. Anyone have anything that may be a bit more current to suggest?

2. Really

Hi Stormy (I feel I can call you that now),

I haven't read any books like that but wondered if you looked that book up at your library and found its call number and then checked its "neighbours", according to the Dewey decimal system, I think you'd find titles from the same subject area. I'm not sure but I think it's universal so you could try any online library catalogue for this "research".

3. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't think of any self-help books that really helped me. I actually found what helped me the most figuring things out was lesbian romance novels. I started to see things in a positive light rather than a negative one. That gave me the courage to open up. I know things are different for everyone.

4. TheStormInside

Really- Storm or Stormy is fine, haha. Thanks, I may give that a shot.

Alwaysforever- I'm not really one for romance novels, but I have found lesbian media (like L Word and lesbian movies) help me feel a bit more "normal" about it all, so that's not a bad suggestion. Thanks!

5. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oooo, have you ever seen the movie Leading Ladies? That one is one of my favorites! The dialogue is a bit stilted but it is still a great story.

6. Really

7. TheStormInside

alwaysforever- Nope, I haven't seen that one. I have watched quite a few on Netflix, though. Some of the ones I liked best were "But I'm a Cheerleader," "Show Me Love," "The World Unseen," and "Molly's Girl."

Really- Thanks, I will give that a look!