1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Hexagon

I know we have a few writers here. I want to ask, what person, tense, and point of view do you use? And readers: What do you prefer to read?

I generally use the first person, in the past tense, as I seem to be most comfortable there. I have used third person limited, though. I prefer to read those points of view as well. First person present especially annoys me.

2. Ryujin

I use third-person past tense, though I would like to experiment with some second person present tense. I like third person as it doesn't limit me to the perspective of a single character and I can do explore the feeling of all the characters as well as have the reader know something that the main character doesn't. Despite that, I may write my next project in first person past tense, as the book is purely about their thoughts and not the thoughts of any other person.

3. BiCatholicBoy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like to experiment with first person narration a lot. I indulge in irony, and limiting your omniscience to a single person makes countless chances to be ironic!

4. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like to write occasionally! I write in third person, past tense. Maybe I watch too many movies, but I find it easier to visualize the scene and then describe it.

5. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends, in the first person I should really pay attention not to overuse "I". Usually the past tense. =)

6. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used third-person past tense, but I'm considering a first-person story for my next novel, just because I really like this character I came up with, and first-person would make it more personal and really make it his story. So I'll have to think about that...

As a reader, I don't really care. Any point of view/tense is fine with me.

7. Kat kanu

i guess it really depends on the situation in the story i wrote "rei and kat"or "something about the rain" i switched from past tense to present but it was from first person pov

8. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

Third person. I just find it easier to write. I like reading both first and third person though.

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure I count, because I'm a rhetorician, not a poet or novelist.

So I write in the third person, imperative mood. :lol:

10. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to write almost entirely in first person, typically past tense, but eventually, I found that it seemed limiting. So now I use a variety of perspectives, especially in fiction, but increasingly so in poetry.

I also would add that I tend to divide my writing into two categories:

Literary/Serious poetry & prose, and then, less formal furry fiction. Though even the less serious furry stuff carries some weight, even if the characters are skunks, badgers, weasels and foxes.

11. One Man Army

I write in the first or the third person, usually in the past tense. My 'funny' stories are usually in the third person, while my more serious or personal stories tend to be narrated in the first person. It's easier to make the narrator unreliable in the first person, and I'm fond of doing that.

12. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I write third-person, past-tense because I like my characters to have secrets the reader doesn't know about. Plus, I have a habit of focusing on a lot characters.

13. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    3rd person imperative? What would that even sound like? lol

"Let him come to me, and he is to bring me much gold!"

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It depends.

I have a few works, where some is first person, some are third person. I have some that go both ways (haha, sorry, had to make that joke), and switch it up (sorry, lol), depending on what is necessary, to me, for the written work.

15. GreyRose

I like to switch it up when writing; first or third person past-tense or first person present-tense (usually journal entry type stuff). Any type of writing is fun for me, though.

16. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really like first-person present- or past-tense. Third-person is god as well, but only if the author is in-depth with the emotions. That's the thing I like best about writing: good expression of emotions. Sometimes that's hard to do with a third-person narrator, but some authors do it really well. It mostly depends on the subject matter, which will be explained below.

When I'm writing, I switch between first and third person depending on what I'm writing. If I'm writing something that I want to have a strong emotional component, I'll write in first-person. But if I'm writing something that's not so emotional, such as something erotic (which I have dabbled with), I use third-person.

17. Candace

I'm continuing to write my own book. I like to switch back and forth between first person and third person. Just to give different perspectives and change the focus of whatever is going on.

18. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Third-person limited in the past tense, usually. The present is just silly, most times. Who honestly tells a story as it's happening? Nobody unless they're a sports commentator.

Omniscient is something I'd like to dabble in, but it's a hard trick to get right. It's too easy to infodump or eliminate suspense if you know things a normal person would not know.

19. Blossom85

I prefer writing in third person and I can go present tense and past tense in the same story.. Or even dream tense, as in they are dreaming something very vivid or remembering something from the past very vividly.

20. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I tend to use third person, but I've written in first person before