1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think about cat-calls?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MintberryCrunch, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

There's really nothing I will add to that conversation. There isn't a conversation, just a compliment. I say it, give you a friendly smile, and move on. And giving you "the whistle" is just that for me: A compliment. I don't get why people are all so up in arms about it on here.

Granted, if you CONSTANTLY get it, sure, it becomes annoying, of course there are sexual predators out there, but to shun it in general? A little overkill?

#21 Black Raven, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  2. AlexTheGrey

So, my question in return on this becomes: how should someone who is getting it constantly deal with it? Especially when the behavior is "hit and run" as it were.

I don't personally see a way to change the behavior without approaching it in a general way, which does mean shunning it. There is a better way here, but at the very least, understand that people's experiences with you are taken in the context of the rest of their experiences with everyone they run into. You can't separate yourself from that context, so no matter your intent, you can contribute to a larger problem because it is a problem in aggregate.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    First of all the I was talking about cat calls when it comes to women and not men from my experiences ;-And yes it happens to women a lot more.
    Why when women topics come up must we take it to the who had it worse arguments.:rolle:

#23 stocking, Oct 29, 2014
  4. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

We're not having an "who had it worse" argument.
    I never argued that men have it worse.
    I would just like everyone not to -forget- that it can happen to men as well. :icon_wink

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    To me it looks like you were trying to take it there:dry:

6. Pipihpipih

Pipihpipih Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    Its just annoy me. When I went out with my gf some guys always did that and I really hate it

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I think they're pretty silly, at best. Absolutely atrocious, at worse. Offensive, on most accounts.

I've never really been cat-called, but I've seen it happen to others. It's really amusing when the person being cat-called, turns it around. One of the more amusing exchanges, I've heard, was:

Guy: 'Ey girl! 'Eeeey! C'mere for a second, lemme talk to ya!
    Girl: *looks, but silent*
    Guy: You be lookin' good, ma, I just wanna be the first to holla.
    Girl: *shakes head, begins to walk off*
    Guy: 'EY! You hear me? I'm talkin' to you!
    Girl: *speaks in Spanish*
    Guy: What?
    Girl: *speaks in Spanish, a little louder*
    Guy: The fuck?!
    Girl: *turns around* Translation: I DON'T SPEAK STUPID, DUMBASS!
    Guy: ... uhhh, okay... sorry, then.

Hilarious.

8. Tzoa

I don't approve of catcalls or being yelled at. While walking home a few years ago, some guys yelled something at me from their car. I don't remember what exactly they said. Whatever it was it made me angry (or maybe just them yelling at me made me angry) and I glared at them. I heard them laugh and one say gleefully, "She's glaring at us!" Odd that I remember that and not the comment that incited the glare.

But then there have been men who would say, "You're a very beautiful woman" or "That's a lovely dress." I appreciated those remarks because they were genuine compliments.

9. littlemonster11

I was debating on making a thread about this, but I'm glad someone did it.

They make me absolutely uncomfortable, and very much offended.

Don't be surprised if I try to put you in your place if I hear you tell me arguments such as "take is as a compliment" or I'm "over-exaggerating." And don't you dare give me the "boo-hoo, you're beautiful and have to deal with attention" argument. I don't wear skinny jeans and make up and fix my hair to look good for anybody but me. So no, I am not "asking for it".

If you want my attention, you can do it in a normal fashion. For example, if I'm wearing a Fall Out Boy t-shirt, and you happen to like the band, then you can somehow start a conversation based off that little detail about me. Even if you don't like them, you can playfully tell me how "lame" you think they are.

If you want to compliment me on my looks, by all means, go ahead. Just do so in an appropriate fashion. Don't undress me with your eyes and shout vulgar comments.

I'm sorry for the rant. I just recently got cat-called the other day at work. It literally happened the minute I stepped out in to the parking lot of my work place. How the dude thought yelling "Damn, hola!" while practically falling out of his car and undressing me with his eyes was gonna reel me in baffles the hell out of me.

10. Tzoa

The thing is, how is anyone supposed to know that you only mean it as a compliment? Wolf whistles are not generally given just because someone is admiring a beautiful woman. They're typically another way to objectify women. As you can see from this thread, nearly every woman who responded said they do not like being whistled at. Being whistled at by strangers on the street makes many women feel threatened. If you want to compliment a woman, that's great! But use your words. Whistling is for dogs, not people.

#30 Tzoa, Oct 29, 2014
  11. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Catcalls are definitely some part sexist.

12. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I think it's pretty impolite, unless you do it sarcastically to a friend or something. I think behavior like this probably makes people uncomfortable at the very least. There are some things, even compliments, you wouldn't necessarily say to a completely stranger.

13. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My brother and I got catcalled as children. I was walking to Rally's with him as my parents ate at Taco Bell across the street. Guy in a car(40 years old, give or take) yells out across the road from the other side, "Boys, boys, woohoo!" I was probably 13, and he was 11. I was just more confused why he was calling out to us and a tad freaked out. I am grateful it was nothing worse.

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone who thinks cat-calling could be vaguely justified needs a good education, or at least a good slapping.

It's never justifiable to do something that's well-known to cause worry and humiliate the recipient. The only circumstance I can think of where it might be somewhat acceptable is doing it with a friend when they know it's you and are into that sort of teasing; and even then, there are boundaries you really mustn't cross.

15. antibinary

It is very rarely used as a way of complimenting the person. It usually just is a way of saying "You random person that I don't kniw and probably will never know, you have nice boobs/bum/legs. (delete as appropriate) I want to do you." It's got nothing to do with appreciation it's people viewing the person as a sex object. Treating people as sex objects is wrong, regardless of gender/sex.

16. Blossom85

I really find it offensive and just don't like it at all.. It is of that old way of thinking women are objects and not thought of as women in their own right.

17. AAASAS

Better than when people see me. They usually throw acid in their eyes and set themselves on fire. I'd rather get a cat call any day. Though I'd only want it from girls. From a guy would be a little weird

18. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

I feel there is a serious culture clash going on here.

It -really- isn't a problem over here in my country.
    People rarely do it, and when they do, they mostly only whistle.
    Of course there are some ghettos and slums where it happens, but it's a very rare exception.

That's why I don't feel like stopping it anytime soon. I don't do it all the time, but sometimes, I simply see a person so pretty that I can't help but give them a nod of appreciation, may it be by giving them a friendly whistle with a smile, or outright approaching them and praising their good looks. All my intentions are good.

If they perceive that as threatening or rude, then it is, quite honestly, their problem, not mine. I'm not going to stop being myself just because someone -might- be offended.

19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't do it. I don't get it.

As for receiving one, I would find it distasteful. I have not minded the longer look, minus the words, when it has occurred, depending on the person doing the looking.

20. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reminds me of driving around downtown with my friend--we were turning a corner and this attractive girl is crossing the street and my friend rolls down the window and shouts "YOU'RE HOT!" and then speeds off. *smh*

Interesting that you'd want it from girls. Even though I'm gay, I do for some reason like compliments from girls -_-