1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Pope Francis Accepts Big Bang Theory and Evolution

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by MintberryCrunch, Oct 31, 2014.

1. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand' - Europe - World - The Independent

The Pope recently made a statement that the Big Bang Theory and evolution are not incompatible with a creator. He claims that God is not a "magician" with a magic wand and that he created beings who could evolve.

This is not entirely new; John Paul II also seemed welcoming to the idea of evolution, as did Pius XII.

What say you? Is the Pope ignoring the Bible?

2. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

This is great, this is one amazing man! And also I think no he's not ignoring the bible he's simply being open and looking at the facts I mean, we KNOW that people evolved, living things evolved. He's simply trying to explain to bothe scientific and religious community that they can go-exist something I admire. Also my church teacher happens to be a science teacher and has expressed his views on the bible openly, he also beleives in the theory of evolution. Thanks for sharing this with us.

3. RainDreamer

Felt like he is just adapting with the times. Hard core idiots that takes the Bible literally is gaining less support from the public. It also makes more sense. If god is truly omnipresence, he is a being that transcend time and can anticipate the future, thus able to create beings that can adapt to changing environment as he anticipate, right? Saying that everything is just as it is since beginning without any changes at all simply goes against every evidences available.

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, this guy continues to shock me. At this rate, Catholicism might starting to sound tolerable to me. :0

5. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

Catholics don't interpret the bible like Protestants .their bible is also longer since it contains the apocrypha and has not been significantly textually changed since the council of Jerusalem( the kjv has had certain textual omissions and changes ). In Roman Catholicism the O T is interpreted figuratively and the N T for it's moral content as a teaching tool. The church is the final interpreter as it teaches that revelation has one common source, god , and two distinct modes of transmission : sacred scripture and scared tradition , and the final authority on these matters is the magisterium .
    This makes the thread question, as it applies to the Catholic Church, difficult . What other Christian bodies think about the popes statements is their own internal dialogue. All the pope did was reinforce what pius xii did in his encyclical : humanis generis stating that there is no "intrinsic conflict between the theory of evolution and Christianity ....." This encyclical was published in 1950 . It also should be noted that both La Marck and Mendel were devout Catholics . The latter being a monk as well.

---------- Post added 31st Oct 2014 at 03:04 PM ----------

What people seem to be looking for from this pope is NOT going to happen . The essential tenets of the church regrading human sexuality , gender roles will not change and couldn't be altered as they are now by a pope . I find it interesting when people seem to still look for some sign of hope? from any major religious institution. Makes me go into long diatribes

6. Anonymouse7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm liking this guy more and more every day...

7. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's been their position for a while. This pope isn't more forward thinking than popes of old. He's just tries not to talk about the backwards stuff and has a slightly more "agree to disagree" approach. Don't worry the Catholic church is as backwards as it's ever been.

8. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nice. Doesn't mean the tea party or ukip will follow his footsteps, though.

9. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wasn't under the impression that ukip denied the Big Bang Theory and Evolution.

10. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's a positive development, but really, once we begin admitting that some parts of the Bible are only metaphorical, it does bring into question how much else is only metaphorical. Fundamentalists believe it is all literally true. A humanist like myself, sees it all as metaphor. He seems to be attempting to straddle a 'middle ground' between the two.

#10 Damien, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  11. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The whole "literal vs. metaphorical" argument makes no sense to me. Protestants love to claim that they take the Bible more literally and yet the Bible says that the bread and wine are Jesus' actual body and blood. So Catholics take it literally and Protestants do not. Additionally, I have never met ANY Christian who takes Jesus' line about "hate your mother and father" literally--neither Protestant nor Catholic. So what's the deal there? Jesus was being metaphorical when he said to hate your mother and father, but the Bible is 100% literal when it says the earth was created in 6 days 6000 years ago?

12. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree... that line about 'hating' your mother and father means that, one ought to place spiritual life above temporal relationships based upon bodily considerations...obviously not to actually hate the people who brought you into the world. A lot of what Jesus says is in metaphor...he taught in parables, which are metaphors...
    I'm not a Christian but my gut feeling is that Jesus was actually a radical spiritual guy who over time got subsumed into the prevailing organized religious structures of his time...and that whoever he was, if he actually existed at all, it is pretty clear that the Vatican pretty much stands for most of what he railed against.

13. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What if God's method of creation was the big bang? That seems like some sort of act of a deity.

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a very narrow view of Protestantism, especially the European branches. There are plenty of cultural differences, a lot of denominations and some level of ideological and theological diversity inside individual denominations, especially the large ones such as the RCC.

On another note, I always find it funny when people act as if the Pope accepting views that went mainstream more than thirty years ago is revolutionary.

15. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I know that doesn't represent all Protestants--but even among Biblical literalists, they know there are parts that are metaphorical. Even those who denounce others for not taking the Bible literally (i.e. many people who criticize the Pope for this), recognize areas of the Bible that are meant to be metaphorical. It's interesting how the Genesis passages escape that.

I also agree that it isn't very revolutionary, especially given that other popes have said similar things. But given Francis' other statements, you wonder what he will say next.

16. AlamoCity

I don't think it's revolutionary. I am not Catholic, but from what I understand it was permissible for Catholics to believe Creation originated with the Big Bang (and even believe in evolution), so long as they are seen as tools of God.

17. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hopefully the next step is them finally realizing that this "young earth creationism" crap is just that.

18. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To clarify, at this point I'm talking about Christianity in general, not Protestantism. I'm not so uneducated to think that the RCC is Protestant. :lol:

19. DoriaN

20. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Care to elaborate?