1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suicide prevention

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Clancularius, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

The world health organization estimates that 1 million people commit suicide each year, suicide is the leading cause of death among LGBT youth. I don't know what you may think but I find this disturbing. Homosexual teenagers are 4 times more likely to commit suicide than heterosexual teenager. With these numbers you have to wonder if we are really doing enough to prevent suicide. I have had many friends who have considered suicide. If you or someone you know are feeling suicidal please get help.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What I think needs to happen is that the suicidal people need to be encouraged to talk and enough other people need to be encouraged to listen.

Some people become suicidal because they feel they're out of options. I can't claim to understand the trials of transgenders, but if someone were to listen to their stresses and help them regain their sense of self-worth, we might see the suicides go down.

3. I am Kakashi

Honestly, 2 things will have to change before we see this terrible epeidemic become better. 1) People will have to stop being bigoted assholes with no respect for other human beings 2) People will have to stop demonizing mental illness, making people with suicidal thoughts/ tendencies afraid to reach out because they are afraid they will be made fun of or worse, ignored.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm afraid there are lots of myths and judgemental comments made about people who experience suicidal feelings and it does absolutely nothing to reduce the stigma that surrounds the issue. It's the stigma and societal rejection of despairing people that leads to the silence and deepening emotional crises.

Instead of trying to understand the underlying issues and feelings that lead to suicidal ideation (of which sexuality and gender identity is very significant) society is quick to apply the "selfish" or "stupid" label. Just imagine how that feels! Worse still is the reaction of some Doctors who are too quick to medicate and too slow to refer people to counselling, therapy or organisations working in the field of suicide prevention that could deliver much better outcomes.