1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Spanish Parliament votes to recognise Palestine

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aussie792, Nov 18, 2014.

1. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Did other religions or nationalities have a town called "Kill the Jews"? (I believe France or Germany also had a town like this)

It also took Spain "only" few centuries to allow Jews to return to Spain after getting kicked out in 1492:

Spain moves one step closer to granting Sephardic Jews 'right of return'

I am not trivalizing other minorities suffering but I do have an obligation to defend my religion, ethnicity and culture. There are only 14 Million Jews in the world.

---------- Post added 24th Nov 2014 at 02:32 AM ----------

I don't support gifting countries to Hamas and Fatah, both of whom have failed to lead their people to dignified lives.

The amount of terrorism and corruption that runs amok in both Gaza and the West Bank is ridiculous, but the western world only cares about narratives they want to occur.

How much more aid will the world give to Gaza before releasing that Hamas steals most of it? How much longer will the world trust a corrupt leader like Mahmoud Abbas who hasn't run in an election since 2005 and promised to retire in 2009?

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your vote matters more than a Palestinian vote in who may govern Palestine following statehood?

3. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That being said, I don't hold ill feelings to Spain. I'm sure it is a lovely country and everyone I have met from there has been really awesome.

Also, I might have worded my statements wrong...I do care about Palestinian human rights but it is not Israel's fault they live in the conditions they do

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Israeli forces bombard Gaza school.

Not Israel?

5. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When Hamas insists on launching rockets into Israel on a yearly basis you tend to care if your neighbors are violent or not.

Palestinian unity right now is based off hating Israel not off finding a good future for Palestinians. The leaders of Hamas are billionaires who live in Qatar and Mahmoud Abbas in the West Bank is worth $100 million while the people he claims to represent are struggling.

The current leadership both Gaza and the West Bank has needs to go. There have been no elections in either territory in a long time.

2005 for the west bank
    2006-2007 for Gaza

Israel has had three free elections in which Arabs can freely vote in since 2005:
    - 2006, 2009 and 2013.

---------- Post added 24th Nov 2014 at 02:39 AM ----------

Because Al Jazeera is so unbiased?

Hamas hides rockets in it's schools and hospitals.

Why Hamas stores its weapons inside hospitals, mosques and schools - The Washington Post

---------- Post added 24th Nov 2014 at 02:43 AM ----------

Israeli casualties are always less because Israel takes precautions to protect it's own people. Hamas does not do that for it's own people in Gaza.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Israel is not responsible for killing children because those children were with belligerents, even though the Israeli forces were fully aware of their presence?

Also, Israel's defence system means that they don't have to indiscriminately fire against Gaza in self-defence.

And we're not talking about Hamas. We're talking about Israel killing Palestinian civilians. I have no sympathy for many of Hamas' actions, and conflating the two is not doing more than painting a picture of guilt for the killed innocents.

And I don't imagine Al-Jazeera is any less biased than what you would read.

7. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't see you accusing America or the coalition forces in Iraq of war crimes (do you even know how many civilians died there? Hundreds of thousands)

Israel has no choice but to fire at those areas..they held weapons that were being used to attack Israeli cities. Don't put children in front of weapons.

It's actually Israeli policy for ground troops to not fire at terrorists if those terrorists are hiding behind children or women. Israel put in ground troops to late, if Israel did so earlier there would've been less causaulties, but more Israeli lives would've been lost.

Putting pressure on Israel to create a Palestinian state will not end the conflict between the two parties. Forcing Hamas out will and forcing Abbas to actually care about his own people will.

Civilian die in war, it's not an Israeli invention. That is why it is better not to go to war, but Hamas doesn't give Israel that option.

---------- Post added 24th Nov 2014 at 02:56 AM ----------

Also, what do you want Israel to do? Not fire at terrorists?

Israel did everything it could to avoid civilian causalities.

Israel tried to limit civilian casualties in Gaza: U.S. military chief | Reuters
    Israel Did Everything it Could to Avoid Civilian Casualties*|*Arsen Ostrovsky

---------- Post added 24th Nov 2014 at 02:58 AM ----------

Also, just because the Iron Dome exists does not mean the Iron Dome is 100% accurate and of course Israel has a right to return fire even with the Iron Dome.

People's lives are interrupted by the unprovoked Hamas rocket attacks.

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You clearly haven't been around very long, because I am very critical of what the US and its allies did in Iraq. And I'd rather you not insult my education, because it feels a damned slight better than yours.

At this point, it feels as if you seem to think that everybody's doing it is a justification for Israel committing what might be considered tantamount to war crimes. And the reason for Palestinian statehood is so that Israel and Palestine can come to an agreement as equals, rather than Israel permanently having the advantage.

Doing an action after another does it doesn't mean you're not doing it.

9. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good, at least you aren't a hypocrite. I hate it when people do one without the other.

We disagree on the Iraq issue, which I think is an indicator that we won't agree on this issue either, so I respectfully agree to disagree. People keep asking for a perfect war with no civilian causalities but there is no such thing. War is horrible and should be avoided at all costs, but certain regions and parties seem to struggle to do so.

I think it is disingenuous to assume that most Israelis don't want peace (not saying you believe this, but many do think this). I'm tired of the fighting, and I'm sure people who are on the outside looking in are also extremely tired of it.

However, this current situation won't change until the Palestinians get a moderate leadership that wants to coexist with Israel. I will admit that Israel has some elements that shouldn't gain power, but that can be said about any Democracy.

D-Day's battles caused over 50,000 civilian deathes. I don't think many people would argue that the Allied forces committed 'war crimes' in that instance, however.

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, it tried its best? Pity it still killed hundreds of civilians in the face of international censure.

And lives are interrupted? Palestinian lives are interrupted and indeed ended by Israeli attacks, yet they don't matter as much?

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And are you comparing Palestine to Nazi Germany?

12. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are twisting my words, so I'm done here. I can't debate with people who are blinded by emotion.

It's either we - we as in the western world - defend our own people (no matter what race or religion) or we bow down to terrorists. I refuse to do the latter and I sincerely hope the U.S., Israel and Europe continue to fight terrorism.

(and no I'm not comparing Palestinians to Nazi Germany...I am comparing Hamas to Nazi Germany because both believe in the same goals).

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not twisting your words. I'm asking questions and simplifying your vaguer statements for the sake of clarification, with the dual purpose of rhetoric.

And I should hope that one would have an emotional reaction to civilian deaths, but perhaps that's too much to ask of you.

14. danielo21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree. I'm spanish and in my country seems to be an intense hate towards Israel, (especially from left-wings politics) that I don't understand. I agree that Palestinians have the right to be recognized as a state, but a terrorist organization such as Hamas is not a legit kind of state, especially with its persecution of gays, christians, and an absolute lack of rights for women. I get that the existence of Israel is controversial, but the simple fact of being a democratic country gives them more credit that any gang of terrorists.

For me Palestinians that follow Hamas have the same credibility that ETA terrorists in Spain. None

15. Justinian20

For me personally I can see both sides of this argument,
    but I do not agree with war in this circumstance, take the Judaism belief system, which is an eye for an eye(this belief would therefore lead to war when war is not the best option). So therefore Israel is part of the problem with Hamas and although I can see that Hamas is a terrorist group, (condoning death upon an entire region for following a group like that is wrong). I personally agree with Aussie on this one, Hamas is nowhere near committing war crimes against Israel, it is more like the Palestine people are revolting as a result of their situation. Being oppressed by the people of Israel. I can see that situation, but you can say that Hamas is going the wrong way about it by attacking the cities of Israel, they should be trying to push for peace between the two sides.

---------- Post added 24th Nov 2014 at 11:08 PM ----------

I would say comparing a world war to terrorism is very far reached and also let's see how many people were killed in concentration camps in Nazi Germany, I believe it was millions, so in comparison to Hamas, Nazi Germany was much worse and Nazi Germany didn't just distinguish one group, they sent anyone who wasn't the ideal German to concentration camps.

In today's society that is less likely to happen as people have learnt from the horror of World War II and each group should play it's part to ensure peace, for example Israel should at least try and promote ceasefires instead of just sending a military operation that could harm citizens who have had no part in the attacks by Hamas terrorists.

16. Justinian20

That just made randomly laugh because I imagined it in one of those high octane action movies that I don't watch anymore.

---------- Post added 24th Nov 2014 at 11:59 PM ----------

Damn the thing I laughed at was deleted.

Back onto the seriousness for everyone else

17. Candace

Like mentioned, along with the brutal history of expelling other religions, I'm surprised by this. Good job, Spain! :slight_smile:

18. Tardis2020

Hamas is a terrorist organization as classified by the UN. Members of Hamas take an oath that literally says "[...] If there is a Jew behind me, may he be killed."
    They believe in execution for:
    -gays
    -rape victims
    -Jews
    Why on earth should a genocidal terrorist group's land be recognized as a country?

19. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

20. Tardis2020

Pretty much this. Sweden especially has a long history of anti-Semitism, even making a law banning infant circumcisions even for religious purposes.