1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying Underwear

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by JacobZ, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Innoscience

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't worry too much about the size. I mean it's good not to be tripping over your pants, but as a male it's not so important that all your clothes fit perfectly. As long as they're not falling off or crushing your theoretical testicles you should be good. As for the nervousness thing, can't help you there. I can't buy a cup of coffee from a convenience store without my brain exploding, so my advice is probably crap. I suggest that you could just try to shut off all thought other than grabbing what you need, paying for it, and leaving. Nervousness and anxiety is about what goes on in your head, and you have some control over that even if it doesn't feel that way. All I can say is don't think about it until you leave the store. While inside your just some random dude in need of underwear, nothing else.

2. hii

hii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I go with a friend to buy men's clothes which helps. The first time buying underwear was actually pretty amusing because at the cash register my friend brought up to me how it's good that my "boyfriend" is finally going to get some new underwear and I was like "oh, yeah". The cashier just smiled at us. LOL! My poor imaginary boyfriend!

For sizing, it wasn't that hard for me. I just thought that since I'm the smallest women's size I'd get a small in men's. My friend was wondering if I'd have to go smaller but I thought it would be fine because of having hips and all and it was.

3. Isa

Isa

The trick is to be the first to judge others of what they're buying, to cause some sort of distraction. :slight_smile:

No, seriously though. It's tough. But as others have said, people are too busy minding their own business. When I am casually shopping anything, i'm too focused on finding what I want. When i'm at the checkout line my mind is on standby, thinking of what to do once I get out of this store. I don't think i'm the only one out there who's too focused on what I went to the store for in the first place to care about what others are buying. People just don't pay attention to others as much.

About size... I don't notice much difference in sizes. Can't go wrong with medium though. :slight_smile:

4. Heather Marie

Life is too short, I use to have the same issues being a MtF CD'er. I would feel like everyone in the store was looking at me when I would buy panties. Now I just don't care, I love wearing them, it's s part of me and no one is going to stop me from who I am. I even go to Victory Secret and buy them. :slight_smile:

5. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I prefer wearing pink underwear. It is hard to find that in the men's sections in stores, but I would buy it at Wal-Mart if they sold it. So, I just buy it through Amazon. I love wearing pink!!!

6. silentscorpio

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    1. If you pass the cashier will just think you're a man out buying underwear. If you aren't passing the cashier will probably just think you're buying it for a partner. Or they just won't care because they'll be counting down the clock to go home. I was still a little nervous the first time though but I was with a couple friends so that helped.

2. I don't know if there's too much of a size difference but I know certain brands even if they are wide enough around the waist sometimes they are too tight around my thighs. I'm pretty small I just have a rather large butt so a small or medium usually work. It's just been a matter of testing sizes and brands.

7. IJustWantToLove

When I buy my boxer briefs in a real store I'll just get a T-shirt or something, too, and just ask the cashier about exchange, implying it's for someone else (since I could try it on and wouldn't need to return it). Worked for me so far.

Buying boxer shorts is even easier, 'cause it's kinda common here for girls to wear them as sleepwear, so UT's no big deal...

About the sizing... I had to go by try and error... Depends on the material of the waistband, in my experience!?

8. wanderinggirl

Bring a friend. Or do what cowards like me do and go online. As for the space, I just kinda tuck it under the waistband. As for sizing, I'm a 6 in pants (27ish in inches) and I get a medium in boxer-briefs and a small in boxers.

9. Manta

I don't think anyone will question you, but if they do its the holiday season so you could say you're putting them in someone's stocking as a joke or a white elephant gift.

10. WaitandBleed

WaitandBleed Guest

You could go to a store with a self check out if you don't want to deal with a cashier. I'm sure somewhere like Wal Mart or Target has that option, and their underwear section are usually obscured from the human eye in the back of some random store corner from what I've noticed.

11. JustJJx

I know it must be hard going to buy things with peoples reactions and shit :/
    But take a friend if you can, or if not maybe buy online if thats an option?
    Best of luck!! xxxxx

12. Wildside

Wildside Guest

maybe you could just imagine what the clerk is wearing under his/her clothing, and you'll be so busy trying not to laugh that you'll forget to worry about what they think of your purchase

13. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Or, when checking out, go to the youngest or oldest, most innocent looking cashier.

14. elliot96

It probably feels like everyone is staring, but more often than not people are too caught up in their own personal drama to take notice. I always think to myself, what if there is someone in the crowd who identifies with me, and sees me doing this. Would they be inspired, would they feel less alone? Think of all the good stuff

15. Wildside

Wildside Guest

we're all so busy thinking about ourselves in life, and what others are thinking about us. it's no different for those clerks. they're thinking about what a jerk their supervisor is, or when their next break is, or some problem at home, or about how much their feet hurt from standing up at the register all day. I think that the only lasting impression that they get from the customers are from the ones who are jerks and are rude to them. So just focus on being really nice and polite, and asking them if they're having a decent day in this busy shopping season, and their only thought will be to return your niceness.
    Lots of interesting thoughts in the thread. I hope you find one that is helpful!

16. JustJJx

Exactly, imagine if every person thought exactly the same as you when in public? Like everyone is wondering if they are being watched? so they don't watch anyone :slight_smile:

17. Angelus

Angelus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My first set of boxers were my Ex fiancé's . wore them to get comfortable with the feel, then bought a set. I hate they are 15 bucks for 5 boxer briefs but I like them , theyre comfortable. my only complaint is when I gotta throw on Girl's underwear for my period . Although the mirena IUD they plan to put in me, should slow or halt it. Til I get HRT >:slight_smile:

All my crap aside, Boxers are easy to get, I had my ex fiancé help me find some. Im a Small where as he, is a medium. so his, fit loosely. Mine, are snug just right.

The best way to try, is to buy what size u think u are, take the crap and go try them on at home, if ur wrong, if theyre to big or to tight, then you know where u need to go next time. fortunately they aren't to bad price wise usually. so its not a huge deal to buy another set. :slight_smile:

18. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What about briefs? Might that work for you, then you still get guys underwear...