1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just found out what my birth name would have been...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Nekoko, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I was at my brother's he was hosting thanksgiving this year and while we were waiting around for one of our siblings to show up, we stood around talking and joking about weird names people come up with for their kids and the things mom almost named us, stuff we'd laughed and talked about many times before. When my sister brought up something I had never heard before. Apparently my mom had a name picked out if I was born a girl! "April Rain" I was shocked and excited to learn this peace of information, commenting on how pretty it was, my sister saying "Yeah, and hey if you ever decided you wanted to go 'that way' you could go by that!" which kind of shocked me but I was more mystified to hear the name I'd always wondered about it barely registered.

The problem is... now I'm torn... April and Rain were both names I'd considered separately as potential names... I've been getting so used to Elissa Estella but I REALLY love April Rain too... I mean that is so beautiful and its the name my mom had picked out herself which makes it so meaningful to me... I don't know, I'm not sure how I feel or what I want to do.... What do you all think? I need some outside opinions because I'm not sure how to feel...

Elissa and Estella were the names I picked in the spirit of how my mother named my sisters..

but

April and Rain were the names my mom ACTUALLY picked for me...

Would it be possible to go by Elissa Estella April Rain Scott? XD

2. RadioRoss

Maybe find a mix between the two?

Elissa Rain sounds good, or Estella Rain.

3. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You could do a mix, as Izzy said. There are a bunch of combinations out there. I don't feel like offering my opinion as to which sounds better because it's your name and it's what you go by. Whichever you like!

4. Dinah

Third star to the right & straight on til morning.
    Taking from my own life experiences if you sit around waiting for permission from everyone else but yourself to live your own life your own way you will never be satisfied and will end up with resentment and regrets.

If you like all or some of the name your mother had picked out, great, work with that. If not, then don't, it's your name, your life and you're the one that has to live with the choices you make.

5. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think any combination of those names sounds awesome!

6. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not really waiting for permission from anyone, I'm looking for outside perspectives. I admit asking what I should call myself is a little unfair as only I can make that decision but I was interested what others thought and wanted to share my excitement!

That said thank you all for your input! I think for now I'll still go by Elissa to keep things simple but keep April in mind... I think it may be something to talk over with my sisters after I come out... :lol:

7. ForAlgea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Both names are really pretty:slight_smile: If you like you could ask your friends to call you April Rain one week and Elissa Estella the next and see which you like being called better. If you want a random persons personal opinion though, I think "Elissa Rain" sounds really pretty, but April Rain has sentimental value...I think what is really important is that either way you will end up with a beautiful name:slight_smile: Also, your sister seems like she is open minded.

8. Manta

Those are all really great names! I'm very sentimental when it comes to names, and I also like to look into what they mean individually and as a pair. Maybe that will help?

April Rain is straight forward
    Elissa means: Oath of God/God is satisfaction
    Estella means: Star

9. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    April Rain is beautiful.

10. DoriaN

April Estella.

11. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    (*hug*)(*hug*)

Congratulations on your sisters reaction. This means people might have picked up some clues :slight_smile:

You might have a look at the meaning of the names... and maybe at urbandictionary, ignoring mean comments.. the names I looked up were connected with some strikingly matching descriptions :slight_smile:

(*hug*)

12. juliegt6

Pfft, April Rain < November Rain. April Rain is much shorter though (double meaning!).

Seriously though, that's cute! I found out I'd have been Samantha, who my awful and easy cousin was named when she was born within a week of me. Have you changed your name yet legally?

13. Laszlo

They're both very pretty names! I think it's most important to figure out what's most comfortable for you, but I can understand wanting input :3