1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think of this story?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tommycee, Nov 26, 2014.

1. tommycee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The name is Liberation. It takes place in 2080. Plot: In the future, America is taken over by an evil dictator. An orphaned teenager named Bea and her sister Olivia escape into the woods to live a life away from the dictator and his drones, but they soon find out that they aren't the only ones living in the woods.

What do you think? Don't sugar coat it. If you like it, I'll tell you about the ideas for the rest of the trilogy. Thanks in advance.

2. DinelodiiGitli

Hm, sounds like an interesting plot and I like the name. Makes me a little curious....

3. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    At first glance it doesn't seem like something that would normally appeal to me as I usually don't dive too deep into the fantasy world, but by all means explore whatever excites you! I just read a book that's completely unlike everything else I've been reading (coincidentally involving some weirdness in the woods) and that has turned out to be the most enjoyable reading experience I've had.

The most important thing is to write about whatever inspires you and generates passion. If you're not excited about it, chances are anybody who reads it won't be either. Don't worry about finding an audience before putting words down on paper; there's enough people out there that you'll find people interested if you write well enough. :slight_smile:

4. shinji

shinji Guest

Sounds exactly like the plot of an anime i meant to watch some time ago, but didn't due to poor ratings. Can't exactly remember the name but the plot is 1:1. Except that in the anime, it was a boy and a girl, with white hair.

For some strange reason, my brain keeps jumping to Hotarubi no Mori e, which has no relation to this whatsoever...

Damn it, i know the name, just... can't remember it now.

But, yeah... plot is interesting. Would consider reading more if you decide to post.

5. elliot96

That sounds like a book I would pick up and have a look at.

6. tommycee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, here's some extra info. Bea and Olivia meet a guy named Mason who takes them to an underground shelter that is home to all the people in the rebellion. Realizing that they would have a better chance of survival there, Bea and Olivia join the rebellion. But one day, while Bea and Mason are taking a walk the drones kill everyone except Olivia, they take her hostage leaving room for a sequel.

7. DinelodiiGitli

It sound like a good plot. One tip I'll give though is make sure to create a good back-story for the main character/characters. :slight_smile:

8. tommycee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    UPDATE: I've decided to give Bea telekinesis. Also, when Bea and Mason are taking a walk, they hear an explosion and see that the shelter was bombed. It implies that everyone is dead. But maybe, maybe they aren't...

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, what's your explanation for the telekinesis? Doesn't matter if it's magic or tech (I'd err on the side of tech seeing as the rest of your world is plausible), but as long as it isn't "writer magic" in that she just has it for no reason.

Other than that though, honestly it sounds like a pretty shallow dystopian YA story. What's the message you want to convey? Backing up a little bit, if you don't care for all that literature-teacher crap about allegory and such, at least have your main character learn something from it all other than "that evil guy is evil." It could have something to do with Bea's telekinesis. Maybe her ability is something which is mostly derided as a goofy gimmick (puh-LEEZE give it some sort of real tradeoff and don't make it a Sue-power) that is shared by the dictator or some other powerful person which is suffering worse effects from it, and they need her help. That unlikely alliance could be the key to reorganizing the government or at least getting the evil guy out of power and stopping the war.

Please don't take anything I've suggested too roughly; I've come up with far worse ideas and received my share of criticism. I just love seeing other people who want to create things too. :grin:

And as a last word, that link I sent you to in the word "Sue"? Read it and tons of other pages on there. TVTropes is an unbelievable resource for fiction.

#9 Argentwing, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014