1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is someone not a pedophile if they only touched 3 kids inappropriately ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stocking, Dec 19, 2014.

1. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's disturbing that some in this thread find it a laughing matter.

He should be put in jail for life. I don't understand why we have statutes of limitations. This guy admitted to it, so put him away.

Once a molester, always a molester. There are a small minority of people attracted to children that do not act on it, but they are the exception than the rule.

2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How would you know? You probably pass by people every day who are sexually attracted to children and do not act on it. Nobody is going to admit to being a pedophile, even if they have never touched a child in their life.

Most people have this remarkable ability known as self-control. There's no reason why a pedophile cannot control their urges in the same way everyone else does. People with these feelings and urges need help, not condemnation. If society wasn't so incredibly paranoid about every other person on the street being a potential child molester then we could probably stop people from doing horrible things in the first place.

He molested children, so should be punished accordingly, but I'd be more sympathetic if this person actually felt bad for what he did. Some people go around buggering children and don't give two shits.

#22 imnotreallysure, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  3. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    WTF. That's really strange! He's still a pedophile. Also, he's a child molester. It seems that he's trying to justify his behaviour and pull the wool over our eyes. Talk about rubbing salt in the wound! I will not be deceived. He crossed the line and did these vile actions. He can't undo the harm he caused, no matter what he says.

4. luckrunningout7

I hate hearing about stuff like this, he should hav went 2 prison. Stuff like this can mess ppl up. It's like saying "I shot 3 ppl, but it's ok because I wont do it anymore" I would be punished if i did that, and so should he 4 wat he did

5. NotSureWhatIam

I for one believe in rehabilitation over punishment. The goal shouldn't be to put people in prison and punish them. That is an old way of thinking. It serves society to a greater extent to rehabilitate them and keep track of them. In a technological society like today, keeping track of someone isn't too hard. Is he a pedophile? Yes. Is every pedophile unchangeable/bound to touch children? No. I'm not defending his actions, I have very personal experiences telling me that it is wrong. I just don't think the death penalty/locking someone up forever solves the problem much.

6. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sort of depends on the angle you wish to take on getting an answer for this type of question. In the most basic and concise sense, he's a child molester, so any label beyond that aren't really necessary either legally or socially.

However, I don't doubt that everybody isn't aware of that already, so to entertain the actual question: I don't know if he's a paedophile. We've never really come up with some form of universal and informed application for the term, and it has instead become something of an emotional buzzword that is used to incorporate a sexual interest in anybody under the age of consent. As a result, we tend to automatically lump hebephiliacs and ephebophiliacs into the label as well, so it can all get a bit muddled and unclear. If the girls in question were younger than 10/11 then it would likely be classed as paedophilia by specific disciplines (psychiatry, sexology etc). However, if between the ages of 11-16 those disciplines would not strictly recognise it as paedophilia, but socially we, as a society, would. Fortunately, social work tends to circumvent these classifications to some degree by instead focusing on whether or not somebody is a perpetrator of child abuse, as we're not in a position to either socially or professionally diagnose people with such labels. It's why I'm somewhat ambivalent to the discussion, because I prefer just sort of nailing it under the banner of 'child molester', which itself seems to sidestep the muddled social messages that confuse many people and distract from the issue at hand.

As for the numbers of people who are paedophiles, not even professionals know with any level of certainty. Many countries, including the USA and UK, only tend to provide medical interventions once that person falls into the legal system, thus requiring a perpetrator and a victim before paedophilia is 'detected'. Due to this, our scope is somewhat skewed by the fact that the only ones we're ever aware of are the ones who act on it, as those who don't aren't going to speak out openly about it, nor do they necessarily have access to treatment/therapy. It could very well be that for every paedophile who is the perpetrator of a crime, there's 99 who live never acting on it. It could be vice versa. We simply don't know with any reasonable certainty, despite the efforts of researchers to try and obtain an understanding of it. It's certainly easy to see how people would arrive at the conclusion that many - if not all - paedophiles are perpetrators of crime. However, that's symptomatic of our reactive approach to child sexual abuse, rather than a preventative approach that really is needed.

7. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I see this as, if he were caught, he would be a convicted pedophile if he touched even one girl.

What's the difference, convicted or not?

8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if I had sex with a woman it would not make me straight or bisexual. As pissed off as this analogy may make people, bear with me. Just because he had sex with children does not technically make him a pedophile. A pedophile is someone with an attraction to children. I don't know enough about the case, but he may have taken advantage of these girls because he had the opportunity or whatever reason. He may not necessarily have a sexual attraction to children. However, as people said, he is a child molester. Who knows if he actually has a specific attraction to children.

To be technical, isn't a pedophile someone who is attracted to children? And a child molester is a person who has sex with children. Thus, a pedophile is not necessarily a child molester either.

This question is pretty silly...

9. TheStormInside

What what what?!

Well, as others have said, pedophilia is attraction to young people. So if he still has the attraction, even though he's suppressing it, he's still a pedophile. As Nightdream said, he's a child molester, too. Years ago I volunteered at a hospital for kids with behavioral issues, the girl I worked with was 5 and had been molested repeatedly by someone close to her. Having seen the effect it can have, god, just *one* act of inappropriate touching is horrendous. "Only three girls"? Ugh.

10. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with others. He is a child molester. Who cares if technically he is a "pediphile" or not? Whether he touched one child or three, it was horrible. He should not be trying to downplay this. Horrible. :frowning2:

11. Quiet Raven

If he is not a pedophile, that would make it the act even worse. Not by much mind you, it is horrible regardless. And the effect it has on the girls is no different.

What I mean is... If he did that, and he has no attraction, then... Why? Did he do it just because he wanted to hurt them? I think that makes him an even worse person then if he was doing it for his own satisfaction.

But again, I am not defending pedophiles who molest children. I am just saying, as bad as they are, a child molestor who is not a pedophile is even worse.

So if he is "defending himself" by saying what he said... Well, in my eyes, it has the opposite affect.

12. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is a sad situation. This guy was well respected in the industry and all the sudden we hear he is a pervert. It does not matter if it was three or one that person would be a considered a pedophile. He probably will lose his career but probably won't be charged with anything depending on the statute of limitations. I used to watch 7th heaven as a kid and liked the show so it just all shocking.

13. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I wouldn't either.

14. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All I have to say about him is... Stranger danger!! D:

Seriously, that's like saying "Well you know, I ritualistically stabbed three people to death, but I'm NOT a serial killer!"

15. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now while I do not condone or support what this guy did in any way, shape, or form, as I myself was raped by a cousin as a child, I must still say that not all who victimize children are pedophiles.

As I said earlier in this thread (And I would have elaborated more, but I was on my phone) a pedophile is someone over age 16 who is attracted to prepubescent children. While there are a great deal of molesters who abuse children to satisfy their sexual desires, a large number of abusers feel that they're tormented souls and have gone through so much trauma in their lives that the only way for them to make themselves feel better is to inflict the same amount of pain and suffering that they feel on someone else. It's a very sadistic, sociopathic worldview, however it's very, very common among rapists/child molesters. They target children because they're the easiest and most vulnerable targets.

Rape is about power and control, not so much sexual desires, and so it is important to note that someone who victimizes children isn't necessarily a pedophile unless they fit the diagnostic criteria set forth by the mental health professionals. I don't know if this guy's a pedophile, I'm not a therapist and more importantly I'm not his therapist.

I'm not taking sides or defending this guy in the least bit, I'm only stating facts for each to interpret for themselves. So please do not take this post the wrong way or think that I defend/sympathize with people who exploit the most vulnerable segment of our population.

16. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Yes, he is a pedophile.

17. Yosia

He did an act of child molestation three times and should be punished accordingly. It doesn't necessarily make him a pedophile unless he has an ongoing attraction to children. If that is the case then he should have rehabilitation and support to help him to stay clear of any awful cases.

I do not agree with the 'once a molester, always a molester' thing, as that is just saying that no-one can change, but people can and do. Obviously they will always be registered as a child-molester, however they could have rehabilitated and changed altogether.

----------

I hope he gets punished for the three cases, and then has the support needed to not perform acts like this again.

18. Joelouis

This is a difficult one. I mean I accept that a person has no control as to what he or she is attracted to, but I think in most cases, that person does have a great deal of control as to whether they act on whatever attractions they have.

If he is attracted to those underage but doesn't act on his "desires", then is he still I paedophile?
    Is a guy who thinks about rape a rapist if he suppresses those same desires?

Some people have had those thoughts (usually in rage) where you could literally kill someone you hate, yet obviously you don't do it. But are you still a murderer?

Those who harbour dark sexual thoughts to the underage need some sort of counselling in my view. And I don't think they should be called Paedophiles, I think a new word needs to be found for them.

However, I do think that those who do commit rape or sexual assault should be dealt with severely.

#38 Joelouis, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  19. Lipstick Leuger

Four, four is the required amount to molest before you can consider yourself a Pedophile.

Someone needs to arrest him so he can meet some really nice guys in the big house, who will only touch him a few times, so he can't say they are rapists......

20. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He may not be a pedophile but he's definetly a perv. :dry: