1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone ever been to Israel (gay scene and all...)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lemons123, Dec 22, 2014.

1. lemons123

anyone??

The place isn't too far off from my country and though i've been to 7 countries that far this one escapes me that far. But sounds very intriguing, i know they have massive gay prides and are overall liberal. (i am not jewish btw, not sure what would people think there if you aren't) 10x.

2. Tardis2020

Well, its better than all the countries around it, but only in the sense that you won't be hanged...

I think its gay scene is probably as good as most places. I don't really know though.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was last in Israel in 1985 (before gay) so I had no clue, and besides I stayed in Jerusalem that summer.

The gay scene in Tel Aviv is definitely vibrant and active, but go to Jerusalem and you will find a very different atmosphere, to put it mildly. In J'lem, you will not find the same level of tolerance, that's for sure. For such a small country, there is an amazing diversity of cultures, and LGBT is just another one that thrives there, in certain locations.

Interestingly, the Israel Defense Forces have recognized and accepted open same-sex military personnel since 1993.

Not being Jewish is not an issue.

4. lemons123

aha i see, well that's cool (about the same-sex military service).

btw: not that it matters :slight_smile: but the first guy i had sex with (who also happens to be my best friend) is jewish...we never dated though - he's now happily dating a girl and they live in munich, germany, well anyways - so this friend of mine says absolutely the same thing: that jerusalem is very different from tel aviv. Which is what i'd guess despite never have visited any of said cities.

but i am optimistic: I've been to dubai and "survived" without a scratch, so obviously i'd be ok at a far more liberal place like Israel. In dubai you can't even mention lgbt let alone kiss a guy or hold hands.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I hope you get the chance to go, it is something to see, no doubt about it!