1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do people still think that most Germans are fascists?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by STM29, Dec 22, 2014.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been to Germany, the latest trip was in 2007. The people I have met were nothing but pleasant and courteous. I have a very good friend in Wuppertal.

Of course, as a Jew, my relationship with that country is complicated; on the other hand, among all the European countries currently, I would feel most comfortable being openly Jewish in Germany. Much more so than in Belgium or France, for example; anti-Semitism is on the rise in Europe, a lot of it is coming from Muslim radicals who have settled there and from a general anti-Israel atmosphere.

No, Germany is no longer identified with fascism; it is a radically different country which values democracy and tolerance. Could it happen again? Possibly, but it is equally possible that, given the right circumstances, something new may arise that we aren't prepared for, and this could happen anywhere.

2. lemons123

no. only dumb american low-budget comedies "think" that...i hope.

Also: why "fascists" and not "nazis"? There is considerable difference. I think you're trying to ask about the racist thing...and nazism while being racist - fascism isn't - fascism is just political theory like liberalism or conservatism. The most famous fascist - Musolini - even criticized Hitler for his racism. However fascism also embodied elements of nationalism, in which regard it was similar to the nazis - but again: No prejudice vs race...just prejudice vs other countries/movements.

In eastern europe by the way (...at least in bulgaria) most people are just curious what do Germans think of Hitler and very few people think of Germans as 'fascists' or racists. Though recently there's been some "backslash" of people who openly criticize western europe (germany in particular...but mostly england, sweden...) solely for their anti-eastern-european and anti-muslim rhetoric. In this regard the country is viewed as slightly more right-wining than it was in the 90s or early 2000s.

But anyway - overall, no don't worry :slight_smile:. Most people worldwide respect germany i think.

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not currently, but the historical image is still there. I'm an American Jew who has never been to Europe. I will admit it is hard for me to simply forgive and forget the Holocaust. I know modern Germany and its people are not representative or proud of that history, but it is something I do think about.

That said, I have heard nothing but good things about the level of tolerance and openness in Germany right now. The former rabbi at my synagogue helped set up a rabbinic seminary in Germany and does exchange programs with American rabbinic students. I've heard good things about the LGBT climate, especially in the cities. Like Greatwhale, I'd probably feel most comfortable being Jewish there or in the UK rather than anywhere else in Europe.

When I have time and money, I'd love to see firsthand what Germany looks like today, both in its current society and how it acknowledges its past.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the rise of facism is less likely in Germany than many other European countries actually. From the ruin and despair of war, the German people have worked hard to restore their nation and economy and I have great respect for what they have achieved. While the allies have lost prestige and damaged their own countries in so many ways, Germany has remained focused and productive and they are now back to strength in Europe and on the world stage.

Politicians from all mainstream parties in Germany are vigilant and quick to respond to any mutterings from the far right, which is more than can be said for many other countries. I'm more concerned about the rise of the right in my own country actually.

5. KingJude

I love Germany, and I speak German. I like German music, and culture. No. I don't think Germans are fascists. The British often make jokes about the war, and Nazism, but that's because we want to rebuild relations. It's our way of showing that the past is not the present, so we can laugh about it. It's our way of poking fun at how ridiculous fascism is, and so we remember it is never a viable type of government.

6. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do people still think Americans are slave-holding racists?

It's like Homer Simpson once said at Oktoberfest: "Ah, the Germans. You just can't stay mad at them." :wink:

7. Candace

I have a lot of German friends (who try to help me with German), and I was in Germany in 2011. Very friendly and awesome people, more so than people that I know here where I live :grin:! I would have to say that they're quite the opposite of that, honestly.

8. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There was a reporter in the USA that interviewed some college students on history questions, political in nature. Some didn't even know what fascism was, or Germany's role in WW2. One even said the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. :frowning2:

9. timo

No that's long gone. Racism -unfortunately- seems to be a growing thing in certain places though.

10. SomeLeviathan

does Germany have an actual fascist parties like The Golden Dawn?

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The talk about the Holocaust reminded me of something. Not only were Jewish people targetted, but apparently so were gay men. So many of us here on EC have reason to be personally uncomfortable with that particular chapter of German history...

That said, while I've never been to Germany, I hear what I hear, and I'm more worried about the politics in general in my country than I am Germany.

Old history... But when I was in 12th grade, we had a German exchange student who never hesitated to let us know how bad our politics were. :lol: I'll never forget him saying how happy he was that President Reagan was about to leave office. One of his lines (imagine a heavy German accent here) was something like: "Ronald Reagan is an idiot!"

12. SomeLeviathan

you really shouldn't have to be a member of a persecuted group in the Holocaust to be "uncomfortable" with that chapter of German history...

13. puppiesarecute

Actually, and I come from a sorta Jewish (atheists, but Jews) family, we think you're pretty cool. My dad describes it as "as Americans, we have done some shit stuff, but we have never been forced to face it and evolve like Germany has, we are still stupidly patriotic for evil acts". So basically, I know some pretty cool germans, and my stereotype for germany is definitely not Nazis. There are more Nazis in my country than yours actually.

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that modern Germans are liberal when it comes to lifestyle and social services issues but many are conservative when it comes to immigration issues. A good many don't like the strain on and changes in their social fabric as a result of immigration. As for other issues, they can be all over the map, just like other people. They tend to be well traveled, so they are fairly worldly, relatively speaking, and know what's going on in the world around them. However, when they retreat to Deutschland, they may revert to being more insular. That's a theory I have. That also occurs with well traveled and worldly people, too.

---------- Post added 22nd Dec 2014 at 02:44 PM ----------

Germans are not at all happy, along with other northern EU counterparts, to shoulder the more relaxed work ethic of fellow EU countries which "tend to be" south of them. The situation is that, even with regional differences, the U.S. appears to be more homogenous in "getting it done." Cultural differences between European countries can be huge and fascinating to observe.

15. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Absolutely true. And I expressed myself pretty poorly above. My apologies.

That said, if one is a member of a group that has had a particular problem, one will feel things on a deeper level than someone who is not part of that group.

16. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No I don't believe that

17. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    While I forgot about that, sort of, I am now reminded of that. I believe the pink triangle has some historical roots in WW2 Germany and the Nazi "cleansing" campaign extended to homosexual men, and possibly others. People who hid those the Nazis were seeking out also risked their lives. Some also died and some have lived to tell about it. Hitler reportedly experienced some level of confusion as to his sexuality, so that he promoted homophobia would not be at all surprising. Either way, it's a chapter that modern Germany very much wants to forget and is ashamed of. I will never discuss this topic with a German. There is so much else to talk about.

18. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my own limited opinion of Germany, no. The Nazis are out of power and the Germans are far better off now. I see them as having grown into a respectable nation I'd like to visit someday.

19. Adam1969

In The States, prior to WW I the October celebrations in the German communities were the most well attended. Since then St. Patrick's Day and Columbus day have increased in popularity. So, yep... Homers right, an entire week of heavy drinking is better than one day!

And, no... no one even slightly well read thinks Germany is a Fascist state!

20. Mickz

Based of the african-Germans here, not really no, some of the older generation are still yes but it is dying out. As for Germans for Germany Id have no idea apart from tourists who wandered into the restaurant I work at and they all were awesome people so Nope I don't think so :slight_smile: