1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on public restroom segregation by gender/sex

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Dec 20, 2014.

1. howsit

howsit Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm all for unisex bathrooms too, but the operative word is sex.

Just as a by the by, if I ever heard/saw a trans person getting harassed in a public washroom, I would most definitely step in. Everybody should be treated with respect and dignity. However as a general "what bathroom should people go to?" question, I think it's pretty obvious...the one that matches their physiological and legal sex.

Here's my gripe. Transgendered people who are too lazy/negligent to seek legal protection when available and yet expects everybody else to just accept whatever they do. When it comes down to those instances, it's about utility....how many more people will be made comfortable/uncomfortable by letting this happen? Again, this in instances where the individual refuses to seek afforded legal protections. Because then it simply becomes about personal preferences and comfortability.

"I'm a lady cause I dress like one, but I have a penis and male hormones; but I want to use the lady's room and you're transphobic if you're uncomfortable and I don't care" (trans minority)
    Vs.
    "I'm a female and I don't care if you're uncomfortable using the men's washroom when you have a penis. You must be a man-hater if you're uncomfortable with other men. I don't care about your preferences because it conflicts with my ability to feel safe, secure and comfortable."

And I think in a lot of instances, the number of people it would make feel uncomfortable would greatly outnumber the people made more comfortable.

#61 howsit, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But the people who feel uncomfortable hardly have a right to be and their discomfort is not nearly as severe as a trans person's being forced to out themselves or their being ostracised.

I'd rather prick a hundred people with pins than beat a single person to death with a sledgehammer. It's not a just compromise from a calculation of comfort vs discomfort. It's ruining people's lives by making them feel unsafe to save others from having to feel discomfort they essentially choose to feel.

3. silentscorpio

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Saying if a person isn't a man if they don't have a penis is transphobic and saying they should the restroom based upon their genitals contradicts your current post. I'm transsexual (and therefore also transgender) and have a vagina but I use the men's room because I'm male. By your first post I should be using the women's room. By your second I should be using the men's.

I'm not really sure what you're stance on the issue is at this point...

#63 silentscorpio, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And they're not "transgendered". "Transgender" or "trans" are what should be used.

5. howsit

howsit Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, your sex is female unless you've undergone hormone therapy and a sex change. Your gender might be male (and therefore choose to be identified as such), but I fail to understand how your sex is male.

By the way, my emphasis on pulling out your dick at a urinal in the first post was more for effect. Hence why I used more tactful language in the second. Sex is based primarily on genitals and hormones, which in turn result in other correlative physiological differences in the sexes (hairiness, waist-to-hip ratio etc.). That is what should determine which bathroom you should use. I have no idea where you or anybody else falls there, but I'm pretty sure my points were consistent.

And I also am baffled how trans people fail to see dichotomy between sex and gender when they apparently suffer from gender dysmorphia.

6. Acm

Acm Guest

It's not that trans people don't know the difference, it's that we think we should use bathrooms based on our gender, not our sex. Also it's gender dysphoria, not dysmorphia. Dysmorphia is something else.

7. silentscorpio

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm on hormone therapy and have had top surgery. Even though I have "female" reproductive organs my legal passport card says my sex is male soo....
    Or should I go with my legal driver's license that says my sex is female? I don't know I think federal government beats state. Either way, I don't care what you call my sex male or female I'm uncomfortable using the women's restroom, it's damaging to my mental health as it triggers dysphoria and I would feel just plain unsafe.

Now, since I am kinda non-binary. There will be times in the future when I'm presenting much more feminine. I will probably NOT use the men's room because I would feel unsafe and uncomfortable. I'll use the women's restroom because I'll look like a woman.

It's not going to be clear what a person's sex is when they walk into the restroom so there really isn't a way to enforce that unless you make people drop their pants or take ID to the restroom which is wrong on just all kinds of levels. The problem with using the bathroom based on sex is it sets the person up to be attacked, or experience dysphoria. Both are way worse in my opinion than a cisperson being uncomfortable because they think they can judge a person's sex and gender based upon looking at them.

And in case it looks like I think people should choose a restroom based on presentation I don't feel that way either. I think the person should restroom they feel most comfortable using.

8. BrassGoggles

Out Status:
    All but family
    Well I'm screwed.

9. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ditto! Public washrooms are generally gross, so I'll only use one if I need to go somewhat badly. At that point I dont care whos there LOL. Go in, do my business, leave. Simple :slight_smile:

10. Kiyohime

Kiyohime Guest

There is no good reason for it.

11. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do your business, eh? Surely the office is a more convenient place for that! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

[​IMG]