1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's Old?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HM03, Dec 21, 2014.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Usually if you're cashing SS checks, can willingly eat prunes, and retirement was a while ago.

2. Spider

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're old when you stop having fun!

3. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have issues with perspective. I generally don't consider anything old unless it's older than me - and even then, I'm often out of touch with just how old I am, so really, it's a warped viewpoint. Anyway, I believe linear time is an illusion and age is typically irrelevent.

For example, I tend to not think of music as "old" unless it's from pre-1975 (year, not band) - probably because of my 80's synthpop phase. Any music from 2000 and newer is "contemporary". Anything between 1975 and 2000 is just "music", with little emphasis on age. I rarely refer to music as "new" - "new" music is just music I haven't been exposed to until recently. Sometimes "old" music, or music with no emphasis on age, is "new".

I don't generally consider a movie "old" unless it came out, again, prior to 1975 or 1980 or so. A movie is "new" if it came out within the last year. Anything between last year and 1980 is just a movie, with no emphasis on age.

Clothing I judge in two ways. 1 - If I own it, I generally don't see it as old until I've had it for literally forever, or until it's worn out, whichever comes first. I've owned clothing from the 70's and 80's that I didn't consider old, because I haven't personally owned it for very long - it's vintage, but it's not "old". 2 - If other people own it, or I see it in photos or second hand shops or whatever, anything from the 90's and earlier is old. It has a distinct look that is very much not commonly seen anymore.

People I don't consider old until they're well into their 60's.

Age is almost never relevent with books. The only exception here is if they contain "current" information that is no longer current. The computer user's manual I found in my attic from 1998 is old. Philip K. Dick's "A Scanner Darkly" is not old, it's fiction.

Technology is old when it is too outdated to be updated, or when it's significantly phased out by better designs. The CRT monitor is old. I'm hesitant to call my laptop "old", even though it's slowly dying and I've had it for six years at least.

4. CyanChachki

With the materialistic stuff, probably when the trend dies. Like back when I was a teen, being emo/punk, wearing dark make up, wearing a tie, having liberty spiked hair, piercings and skateboarding meant that you where cool and now, it's all about being Scene or Hipster.

As for people, I don't think anyone gets old.

5. MajorTreble

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why are you wondering these questions? It seems very interesting.

6. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Somebody made a comment on the oldest of something, and I did't really ever think of it was old. It got me thinking about it.

I don't think of things as new or old unless it was a trend, technology that is kinda a pain to use now (VCR or cassettes since it's a pain to find something to play them on).

7. beyourself

beyourself Guest

I think music older than 10 years is old and as a kid I always taught that my parents were old and everybody younger then them were young.

8. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That makes perfect sense I feel like that

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well that's set me off on a right diva strop. :tantrum: A bitch slap coming your way gravechild. :lol: