1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What can I do to get over my first love? =\

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ballin1718, Dec 22, 2014.

1. ballin1718

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey all,

I've talked about my ex situation in my previous thread. Long story short, me and my good friend / college roommate / frat brother fell in love secretly last year ( I started coming out of the closet that year, he still remained as closeted as possible but we ended up telling a bunch of friends, and our siblings about our love). We were together for a year, living together for 8 months until I graduated. He's a senior now and lives in our frat house and I live close enough where I visited every weekend.

Two months ago he dumped me, he basically said he didn't love me anymore and also that he wanted girls. Obviously such a painful dagger because I thought we were going to be together forever. Since then I've been struggling extremely hard with it and I don't know how to shake it. Im alienated from our mutual friends and I've been staying away from my college to avoid him.

There was no cheating, no actual fights just a break up. I spent a lot of time trying to get him back and failing. He called me the other day and we talked for an hour and a half about how we have to move on and that he isn't living some amazing life. He's struggling with the fact that he had a gay relationship and how it may affect future straight ones. He claims he is straight now... In two months though he's made out with girls but hasn't done anything else , and he could easily be sleeping around.

Either way I know I need to accept that this is over but I am struggling so hard. I wake up everyday just wanting to go back to sleep forever. I've also seen a therapist numerous times and it's not helping me shake him. Because most people just thought we were best friends and were frat brothers I don't want to block him on social media but seeing him causes me pain.

I have even been seeing someone else, but my heart still beats for my ex... My first love and best friend. I still believe we're meant to be to a degree but im not delusional I'm aware that there's a good chance it's over forever. This time of year is extra hard to because this time last year at this time we were so in love.

Im having trouble accepting my best friend wants nothing to do with me and doesn't love me. He said once I can accept its over we can try and be close friends soon again but he still hasn't been in my presence once in 2 months even when I have visited the frat house. I think he's afraid if he sees me he'll have feelings but idk.

Basically what i want to know is how can I manage this pain? If I want to go back to being friends how do I accept watching him hook up wth girls?

Sorry for the long post again but im so depressed I really almost can't see a dAy that comes where I don't have feelings for him and it kills me a little everyday . Please help!

2. Gen

Gen

Anyone who claims that you'll be over it before you know it when it comes to first loves has clearly never experienced their own. You can distance yourself from that person. You can turn your attention to the other fish in the sea. You can follow all of the generic advice that all people tend to give you and some of it might soften the blow, but ultimately you will suffer. Getting over a first love is very much like getting over a virus. You can take precautions to make the recovery more comfortable, but it is something that you will have to slowly wait out.

You will have far more emotional nights than you will ever want to admit. You will find yourself frustrated with the fact that you are still thinking of them months later. You will have days were you tell yourself that losing them actually wasn't a big deal and that they actually weren't as amazing as you thought they were. Then you will spiral back into the same pain after a couple of days or weeks. The point is that this experience is supposed to feel dreadful. You have gone from thinking of a partner everyday to thinking of a breakup everyday. Dreaming of a future alongside someone to dreaming of a future without them anywhere in sight. Yes, considering the way he handled this situation, he probably wasn't worth your time. Yes, there are plenty of more fish in the sea, but those fish will also still be there a month from now, a year from now, etc.

Allow yourself the time to get over this. Moving on is often described as some euphoric walk into the sunset, in which all prior cares and concerns are lifted off of your shoulders. The process of moving on is more like slowly emptying a bottle. All of these emotions will pour out of your for far too long, until you are finally empty. You have cried the last tear or felt the final longing for that person and you have nothing left for them. It might take time for that to happen, but it will. By allowing yourself to feel thee emotions and not attempting to avoid or suppress them, you will only quicken the process.

3. ballin1718

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank you so much Gen... I've felt all the feelings and emotional all the time I just wish it would pass quicker than it has.

I've always considered myself a strong person where a breakup wouldn't affect me. I've convinced myself if it was anyone else I would be fine by now the fact that we had a strong friendship before all this kills me.

I do want to try and be friends again though , we were like a group of 6 close guy friends in our frat and hed be down to try one day (he says) but I think that would just set me backwards.

The feelings are horrible but I hope I get the payoff and get passed it and be happy one day

4. Mystory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Often times, I try to take solace in the fact that the pain and hurt that I feel for someone in the here and now, is truly indicative of just how deeply happy and loved they had made me feel at some point in time, at some point in the past... Idk, it was always about validating, for myself, that what I had, and what I felt was real. That I had met someone who was capable of hurting me so much, meant that I had also met someone who was also capable of giving me so much happiness too. Regardless of how much he has tried to invalidate the relationship that you two had in the past, know and take pride in the fact that the relationship was real to you, that it mattered to you, that the feelings were real foryou... hope you heal soon...

#4 Mystory, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  5. ballin1718

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank you ... I appreciate it. I don't think he trivialized that we were in love he knows it I think a lot has to do with people changing and his fear of being gay and a lot of different things.

However it's still messed up I just wish I could be over it and get back on track with my own happiness .

6. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My "first real love" was also someone who just decided that being gay was too much--he didn't even say he was straight he just said it was a path he wasn't strong enough to walk. He even apologized for it. And the good and the bad news of it is that--well, I never did get over it. But you move on. It's been 25 years and I still occasionally think about him and what might have been--my partner of 17 years knows all about him, there's a picture of the two of us in a collection of framed photos in our living room. He was a part of my life, a part of making me who I am. It was a very bittersweet time in my life--feeling so many things, so many new things, so strongly. And it was hard, really hard, but it was also pretty wonderful. The fact of the matter is that the people who tell you to just get over it probably do just get over it, but in my experience they do it by just feeling less and less over time. In my experience and opinion feeling less is always a mistake. Move on... but don't get over it. You only get one life, why would you want to get over it?

7. ballin1718

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank you. I think im always going to remember him too, and im sure he'll always remember me. I just wish it wasn't like this like I want him back so badly but it isn't going to happen.

He's going to wake up one day at 40 and realize he's gay and by then it'll be too late. I just wish it didn't hurt like I want to be happy during the holidays I have so much good in my life but this just cripples me

8. badluckfairy

My suggestion is to keep busy and try to put some distance between you and him. IT might sound crazy now, but in time you can come to see that you can be happy without him.

It will probably take a long time to get over it. You may look back on it and recall that it was a happy time, but in time stop dwelling on it or getting upset about it.

I've been in the situation before where I've found it hard to get over someone. Eventually I had to get them out of my life and do other things (after a very long time of torment). But eventually I was abole to move on.