1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second Adolescence?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by OOC73, Dec 21, 2014.

1. OOC73

Thanks lovely! Glad you are finding your feet now :slight_smile:

xxx

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yep, quite a ride isn't it?:icon_bigg

3. SouthernGeek

I think a second adolescence is a good way of putting it. With me it's so confusing because I'm realizing I'm bi. It's as though my adolescent period didn't exist at all when it was supposed to have. Now I'm just seeking attention and I've made some mistakes as a result.

On the other hand, it is kind of a cool feeling, if it wasn't for the pressure from responsibilities.

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For those still going through their 2nd Adolescence, one piece of advice - please, whatever you do, try and stay away from tight fit clothes! You might think they look cool, you might be told by the salesman they look cool, but unless your actually a physical adolescent, they are NOT COOL :bang::icon_redf:help:

wish someone would have told me that!

oh, and careful what you ask the hair stylist to do as well :badgrin:

5. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hah - I frequently run wardrobe choices past my 17-year-old daughter, but I always remind her that a 30-year-old dressing like a 20-year-old might conceivably fly, but a 50-year-old dressing like a 20-year-old is just WRONG! Especially when the 50-year-old in question has had a head full of gray hair for 25 years and needs to retain some level of gravitas as a manager and church organist/singer.

I hated my adolescence, and the thought of revisiting it makes me want to gargle with Drano. But I do feel a level of hope and optimism and yes, sexiness, that I probably should have felt back then. And actually I DO remember feeling it all those years ago, in isolated bursts and waves, but certainly not as constantly as I do now. And having a "second adolescence" with some added common sense and wisdom that I was missing the first time around--at least I hope that's the case!--is a pretty great opportunity.

6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I have since reverted back to my typical style - Middle age!

I do not seem to get any complaints :eusa_naug

7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I'm on at least my 10th adolescence, so far. I even got more or less a mohawk hair-cut the other day, 'caused I missed having one, and still look a lot younger than I am. I dunno, but there has always been a huge part of me that has never wanted to grow up, and accept the adult world as it is, and has rebelled against it, its constraints, all the value placed upon conformity, the drab clothing men are supposed to wear, the whole keeping up with the Jones thing...all in all adulthood is highly over-rated, the more I look back, and ponder things, especially if you're a creative/freethinking/artistic type, and don't make a lot of money in a wold that pays more for tech kinds things, and things like inventing a new dish-soap is valued more than writing and art. In many ways, I wish I could have just stayed 16-29, it all seemed sorta downhill from there, a long, slow decline.

Makes me think of this song:

Ramones-I don't Wanna Grow Up

When I'm lyin' in my bed at night
    I don't wanna grow up
    Nothing ever seems to turn out right
    I don't wanna grow up
    How do you move in a world of fog that's
    always changing things
    Makes wish that I could be a dog
    When I see the price that you pay
    I don't wanna grow up
    I don't ever want to be that way
    I don't wanna grow up
    Seems that folks turn into things
    that they never want
    The only thing to live for is today...
    I'm gonna put a hole in my T.V. set
    I don't wanna grow up
    Open up the medicine chest
    I don't wanna grow up
    I don't wanna have to shout it out
    I don't want my hair to fall out
    I don't wanna be filled with doubt
    I don't wanna be a good boy scout
    I don't wanna have to learn to count
    I don't wanna have the biggest amount
    I don't wanna grow up
    Well when I see my parents fight
    I don't wanna grow up
    They all go out and drinkin all night
    I don't wanna grow up
    I'd rather stay here in my room
    Nothin' out there but sad and gloom
    I don't wanna live in a big old tomb on grand street
    When I see the 5 oclock news
    I don't wanna grow up
    Comb their hair and shine their shoes
    I don't wanna grow up
    Stay around in my old hometown
    I don't wanna put no money down
    I don't wanna get a big old loan
    Work them fingers to the bone
    I don't wanna float on a broom
    Fall in love, get married then boom
    How the hell did it get here so soon
    I don't wanna grow up

#27 HuskyPup, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  8. Wildside

Wildside Guest

:roflmao: TOO FUNNY!!! yeah, I've seen that in action. we all need a good friend who will tell us when we really need to donate that latest wardrobe choice to a worthy charity. is there such a thing as "age appropriate adolescence"?

9. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    T-shirts and casual shirts never tuck in :slight_smile:

10. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The question then must be asked - what do the T-shirts say?:lol:

11. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hah. Mine usually say "Dude, either replace me or put something over me, or someone's gonna think you're straight!"

12. Melanie

Melanie Guest

Yes. :slight_smile: I really couldn't give a flying crap at this point. I plan to get another (large) tattoo and a tongue piercing. I mean, I'm not going to go craazy but I'll be damned if I live the latter part of my life worrying about such rot. I'm not trying to look younger, but just be what I want. Dont like it? Dont look. :wink:

13. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Three tattoos thus far myself. Not sure that is just an adolescence thing though; still keeping an eye out for the next one as well.

14. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I LOVE IT!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: We've spent so much of our life pretending to be what we THOUGHT other people wanted us to be, we don't need to keep living that way. Anyway, most people are too busy thinking about themselves, and stressing about what everybody thinks of them, to spend more than a passing thought on any of us. Love the tattoo and piercing. details? (!)

15. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi OOC73

I know how you feel. In my early twenties I told my parents that I was going to therapy to get rid of my attraction to men. That put me firmly ensconced in Narnia.
    I was emotionally numb until I came out to myself and my wife. (she always thought that I was bi, me being gay did upset her):tears:
    I did start going through all the emotions that you would expect a 14 year old boy to go through, at 53!:eusa_doh:
    I mentioned this in the support group for gay married men I attend and I found most of the others were going through the same thing. :icon_redf

Being a teenager at 55 is not much fun :confused: but sometimes I let my "super bitchy gay side" out to play :roflmao:

16. OOC73

This is a copy and paste from something I wrote on Wildsides wall the other day. I hope he doesn't mind me lifting it to copy here - but I just haven't got the mental capacity to write the story out again...

This will probably sound a bit kooky - but when I turned 40, I went on a trip with my husband to meet up with a load of online friends from a game I play. While I was away, I had decided to get a tattoo to mark the occasion, but I couldn't make my mind up between a Celtic knot heart (I have some Scottish heritage and I love the symbolism of the knotted heart (go figure...) or a phoenix. I ended up getting both. The next day when we were leaving the hotel to go somewhere, I noticed a small pub hidden away behind the hotel that was called "The Phoenix" and on the window was an engraving that was not remotely dissimilar to the tattoo I had just got on my leg. We marvelled at the amazing co-incidence and thought no more of it.

Since then, my life as was has pretty much turned into the pile of ashes that a Phoenix arises from, and yet I can feel that inner Phoenix within me, the true me emerging, reborn but stronger and more powerful. I didn't truly quite appreciate how symbolic my tattoos were going to turn out to be.

17. Wildside

Wildside Guest

how do you find a support group for gay married men? :confused2: I really want to find one of those. Is there a national directory? do you have to get a medical referral?

18. BlackCat3929

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Absolutely not my friend. I'm 36 and I feel more angsty and hormonal than I did even in highschool....its almost as if this is my adolescence. And you know for us, in a way it is. We've just came to the realization that what we've thought how we were supposed to live our lives was bullshit and accepted what we already "knew" but denied or suppressed for whatever reason. Good thing is, we can go through this second childhood without the stupidity and mistakes of the first as we're older and "wiser".

---------- Post added 23rd Dec 2014 at 06:20 PM ----------

Don't know, its almost like trying to find lesbian support here in Phoenix as the LGBT centers are typically aimed towards teens. But at least we have this site and each other!

19. Melanie

Melanie Guest

You know, it probably really isnt an adolescent thing, but many times at my age people kinda look at me funny when I tell em

Like this or something similar.. I kinda want to leave the artist some leeway in what they want them to look like. I am soooooo excited! Cant wait! :slight_smile:

[​IMG]

---------- Post added 23rd Dec 2014 at 06:07 PM ----------

lmao damn i did it again... sorry you guys

20. Wildside

Wildside Guest

very nice!!!