1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out when you're not 100% sure

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sepulse, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Sepulse

Sepulse Guest

HOCD can happen with any orientation. In my case I'm worried about being bi or asexual.

2. Wildside

Wildside Guest

OK thanks.

3. NotSureWhatIam

May I ask why? I understand its stressful and I don't want to belittle your issue. But being bisexual is definitely okay. Not to stereotype, but my bisexual friends are the best party animals out there. Being asexual is okay as well. Asexuals to me are the most real lovers a lot of the time. I think its beautiful that you can love someone strictly romantically.Have you looked into demisexuality? Maybe youre demisexual?

4. Winter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It could be because you're mixing sexuality with emotions.

I'm sure that I'm 100% gay because I'm not sexually attracted to men. I'm 24, and I've never even fantasized about men.

So, if you think about sex, who do you think of? Men or women? Homosexual is just that: homo-SEXUAL. It's just a definition, not a label.

5. NotSureWhatIam

That as well^^ you can be homosexual and heteroromantic or vice versa. Who do you look at sexually? Not to be gross, but which sex gets you going? If you just like guys but youre grossed out by their sexuality, and women are the only thing that get you going, you could be homosexual biromantic for an example. Youre definitely not straight, so we can rule that out. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Sepulse

Sepulse Guest

I know that being bisexual is okay. I even identified as bisexual for a while as a compromise. My OCDish brain just won't accept bisexuality. When I identify as bisexual I feel ungrounded if that makes any sense. Bisexuality doesn't make sense to me because as far as I know I don't enjoy being with guys sexually or romantically. I just get weird feelings around them sometimes and I can appreciate a good looking guy. I also tend to mirror their feelings. If guys are feeling jittery or horny around me I sometimes feel their feelings. They kind of feel like my own, but the feelings disappear when I try to do stuff with them. I'm also confused because the main reason I knew I wasn't straight was because of my lack of attraction to guys.

I'm andious about being asexual because I'm scared that I'll never be able to enjoy sex. I've considered being demi or greysexual. I don't think I'm demisexual because I sometimes get feelings for girls I don't even know. I might be greysexual, but I'm not sure if my lack of attraction is part of my orientation or just temporary. I'm quite socially isolated, I have some mental health issues and internalized homophobia. That could be making feel asexual.

7. NotSureWhatIam

So if you don't enjoy being with guys then you probably don't have much if any hetero tenancies it sounds like. I am a gay male, I can appreciate a good looking woman. I would just never be in a relationship with/have sex with one. If you mirror a guys feelings but don't enjoy the thought of sex with a man, I don't really think that means much. From what it sounds you're only incidentally attracted to men. Sexuality is fluid, which I know you don't like, but it is. You can be sort of attracted to the idea of men but not be attracted to them at the same time. If you know you like women and you are sexually and romantically attracted to women, in combination with the lack of attraction to men, I would consider you somewhere between 4.5-6 on the Kinsey scale. If you're not attracted to women, and you're not attracted to men, I would put you in the grey/a/demisexual category.

I definitely have no 100% sure answer for you, and you shouldn't count on my advice to decide your sexuality. I am attempting to give you an unbiased third party explanation based on the feelings you have told me about so far. I could be wrong because I am not you. But I am attempting to assist you in exactly what it sounds like you want, a word for what you are experiencing sexually. I understand that feeling as I joined EC with the name NotSureWhatIam because just that, I wasn't sure what I was. I identified as bisexual, bisexual homo-romantic, homosexual bi-romantic, until I realized that I was just uncomfortable with being just GAY because of my internalized homophobia from years of childhood indoctrination.

I know you know its okay to be gay. But you need to accept that its okay for YOU to be gay. Depending on your age and life situation that can be very hard. Its not a matter of just saying the words, you need to accept being gay. Which for me took about 6 months from when I accepted that I was questioning. Even when I came out as gay I wasn't okay with it until probably this month. It actually took people telling me that its not okay for me to say the opposite because I'm always a rebel :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. I have only recently come out to the world. I was only out to my best friend and my brother for months, then I came out to my boss because he was making insulting jokes (good guy, meant no harm) then I came out to my second brother, than my mom, than my sisters, than I made it "Facebook official" which means my extended conservative family and everyone I care about knows. I only have 80 friends on Facebook because I have to know you very well to add you. So now after almost two years of knowing I was not straight, I have become comfortable with my sexuality and will go out to gay events and hotspots and I am comfortable with checking out men. Point is, there is a difference between knowing logically that it is okay to be gay, and actually knowing its okay for YOU to be gay. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

#27 NotSureWhatIam, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  8. Wildside

Wildside Guest

so how did you make it "Facebook official"? did you just put a post on Facebook announcing that you're gay? or did you use one of those programs I've seen on the web that sends all your facebook friends a message? or did you mean something else entirely?

9. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I disagree with this; it seems like most gay people take years to figure themselves out completely and many identify as bisexual for a while before realizing they are gay.

Exactly. Just be open and honest about your feelings. You really don't have to declare your orientation with absolute certainty and specificness. When I came out to one of my friends I was still unsure about my orientation and mostly just I indirectly implied that I was attracted to girls. He did not assume I was gay nor did he assume I was questioning. He just found out that I liked girls, and that was all that I intended for him to find out.

10. Wildside

Wildside Guest

so true, YuriCore. It took me until I was 54 to figure myself out. I just didn't want to accept the truth, and the human mind is an amazing thing when it wants to ignore the facts and reality. We can't figure it out until we're really ready to figure it out, until we're ready to accept the truth even if it's not the truth we had been hoping for (but once I did, wow, what a relief. no more fighting, just acceptance)

11. Sepulse

Sepulse Guest

How did you imply you're attracted to girls?

12. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mostly by talking about girls I thought were cute. My lock screen on my phone is often female celebrities I find attractive; I wear a rainbow GSA bracelet... etc. I'm very open, and that keeps people from assuming that I am straight.

13. ecturtle

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Why not just say you are queer? Maybe just explain your attractions to people close to you and others will just know that you might like people of the same sex.

14. Wildside

Wildside Guest

me too. (well, not the talking about girls part). my lock screen is a hello kitty with a rainbow background. I have a rainbow key fob, wear rainbow socks, pink socks, pink shirts, and I have a rainbow watchband. and I use a pink hello kitty wallet. but I'm still waiting for someone to flat out ask me if I'm gay. we do what we can do. implying is what I can do now. coming out is for another day. oh, and i posted on facebook today's story about Dolly Parton telling Christians that they should be loving LGBT people. thank you, Dolly!!!

15. Sepulse

Sepulse Guest

My attractions are nearly impossible to describe! That's why I'm having trouble in the first place. I'm temped to just say I'm bi. Even though I've come out as bi before and I dealt with a lot of ignorant biphobes.

16. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not really sure either dont worry you dont have to identify as a certain thing to everybody. Frankly I'm cool with being gay even when sometimes I'm not entirely sure about it. Not everybody has to know every detail anyway.
    People usually think I'm straight when nope lol

17. Wildside

Wildside Guest

at the end of the day, I think the question people have in their hearts about any issue is "and how does this affect me?". whether we admit that or not. so no need to spend so much time on labels, the fact that we don't fit into a neat box just makes us more honest not more different(&&&)

18. Sepulse

Sepulse Guest

I'm mostly scared of falling in love with a man and having to change my label.