1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you do in this situation?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Driftr

What would you do if, in a hypothetical situation, someone you love threatened to kill themselves if you didn't repress your sexuality and/or gender identity, and for the rest of your life, live as a cisgendered person married to someone of the opposite sex? How would you feel?

I personally still wouldn't give into their demands. I'm not heartless but I feel like I have this one life and I don't deserve to suffer and live a lie for anyone no matter how close they are with me. It was already torturous enough as a teenager, I don't need that phase in my life anymore.

I would feel sad if they actually end up killing themselves but I would feel guilt-free no matter who pointed fingers at me to blame me for their death.

So would you do it? Why or why not?

2. Yosia

I would encourage them not to end their own life over something so trivial, however, I will never change who I am for anyone. I do not want to live a fake life, even if it means that a real life could hurt people. I do not want to hurt others, but I would be hurting myself if I couldn't be who I am.

3. Lyana

I have already been "threatened" like that by someone I cared about, someone with a tendency for self-harm and suicide attempts. It wasn't about my sexuality, but if I didn't do what they wanted, they told me they wouldn't be responsible for what happened.

I think it's an awful choice to put to someone, and in that situation you're not the selfish one for refusing; they are, for asking. Even if they're ill and it isn't their fault -- it's not yours, either.

Knowing myself, I would feel extremely stressed and worried, but I would reject guilt. I want to say I wouldn't give in. For most people, I wouldn't. Friends, extended family, etc. But if it was really a choice between seeing my parents die, and dating only guys? I would probably choose the guys.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, that is one of the most evil and manipulative things someone could do.

If someone made that threat, and I felt they were serious, I would calmly tell him or her that if they are serious, I feel obligated to call the police and report him or her as mentally unstable and threatening self-harm so that he or she can get help for what is obviously a serious mental health issue. This basically turns th attempt at manipulation on its head, and if the person is serious, it is also a way of getting the help that he or she needs.

5. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

There's no way I could love someone who would be capable of doing this. AS for my response I'm going to go with, tell them "sure," and then call the police

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Would I do it? No, absolutely not and I'd tell them so very directly. In the UK, such talk could lead to a person being sectioned, for the same reasons as Chip highlighted (mental instability).

Furthermore, suicide is far more complex than one single issue (in this case the refusal to comply with unreasonable demands). In the overwhelming majority of suicides there are several underlying/unresolved issues -- your refusal to be compliant would not be the single causative factor.

7. raiden04

raiden04 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I honestly don't know what I'll do when/if the time comes.

8. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Sorry, I'd live my life the way I want to.

9. Driftr

Yea. I figured I wasn't alone. It's like I'm not heartless or selfish, but there's just a limit to what you should to to make someone happy, and that's that. I strongly feel like it shouldn't ever be seen as gratitude to live life 100% the way your parents want you to and no one should ever feel any guilt if they don't totally fit their family's expectations.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Well, first of all, I'd need somebody that I actually love. Considering there's not much, if any, love towards anybody offline that I know (with one budding exception), this would be an easy choice to make. That's really harsh to say, let alone admit, but 'tis the life of Kaiser.

If that one budding exception, out of the blue, threw this upon me... I'd be tempted to consider it, but I know, in the end, since we haven't known each other that long -- a few months vs 28 years -- I would do what was best for me.

No, I wouldn't.

Nobody backs me into a corner like that. If you don't know better, I'll remind you of this -- and then, if nothing changes, I take action. If you do know better, well, ignorance is not an excuse. I'll do what is necessary, because my preservation is a top priority. This includes my mental, emotional, and physical well being -- things this individual does not have considered.

Anybody who does something like that, isn't worth keeping in my life. Now, if they could present a valid argument like, for whatever reason, my being miserable will cure cancer, okay, I might have something to weigh. But if it's for their own outlandishly selfish reasons, no, that isn't good enough. I'd thank them for revealing this side of themselves to me, because it makes walking away/dropping them easier.

[​IMG]

I ain't got time for that nonsense.

#10 Kaiser, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015