1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC gaming and console gaming are both here too stay!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Chromedome, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Pc gaming appeals to computer enthusiasts who like to open up their computer and tinker and tweak and fiddle with settings, research best hardware, overclock and really get into the hardware.

Console gaming is more inclined for people who aren't tech savvy but like video games.It has a plug in and play factor: comes with a controller,Little to no installations, No drivers to install, no hardware upgrades needed, no prerequisite software, no tinkering with settings.

Some people like me play both because I can't give up on those console exclusives like kingdom hearts and persona etc. Becuase everyobdy knows japanese developers hate Pc Gaming.

Genres that perform better on pc: RTS,isometric MOBAs, Strategy, FPS and shooters, 2d puzzle and digital card games, tycoon/content creators.
    Generes hat perform better on consoles: Platformers, fighting games, racing, third person adventure/ hack and slash.

#1 Chromedome, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  2. DoriaN

Makes sense, I can't really disagree.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not understanding what's super technical about going online, buying a gaming computer that "looks like Alienware" and just installing games on it right out of the box.

Adrienne

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Was anyone arguing to the contrary? I didn't think there was the idea that one side would kill the other.

I tend towards PC games though. There is so much that you can do which cannot be done on consoles. You can make the game anything you want it to be through mods, and if something isn't running well, you can fiddle with settings or customize your hardware for the best performance.

~Avid fan of Kerbal Space Program, Mount & Blade series, Arma series, and Steam games. :grin:

5. Lazuri

That's not what most hardcore PC gamers do. We buy the parts and we build it for way, way less. Alienware is extremely overrated and you can build an as powerful PC with half the cost. Not to mention gradually updating the PC as technology advances instead of buying a new PC out of a box every four years or a new console every seven.

That said I love consoles even though I rarely play them these days. It's how I started playing video games and still gives me nostalgia. Besides, the stuff devs manages to do on consoles, especially towards the end of its life span, is really impressive. I mean, if The Last of Us was released on a PC it would never have run on a PC with power comparable to a PS3, there's no way.

6. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's subjective. It doesn't perform better on either, it depends on the gamers preference of a controller or mouse & keyboard.

7. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Most programs ask you too download microsoft net framework and check for direct X and all that

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    But out of the box, most gaming PCs already have that stuff installed. Remember, I'm not talking about technical people building things. I'm talking about kiddies who ask their mom to buy them a $1500 computer off of cyberpowerpc.

9. crazycat

Out Status:
    A few people
    Nah man like a hardcore gaming PC can set you back pretty far, which is funny because a console is about as powerful but costs less.

Consoles are great 'cause not only do you get console exclusives, but even games that come out for the PC tend to come out for console first.

PCs are great because you get access to a wide range of indie games, but most indie games will run on a pretty basic PC, so you don't really need a top of the line one.

10. Lazuri

Nah, a talented KB+M player will win over a controller player almost every time. This was proven a couple of years beack when Shadowrun was released with crosspöay between Vista and Xbox360. The 360 players didn't stand a chance. The only exception I ever found was Titanfall, where mobilty is so integral to the gameplay.

This is.... Just not true.

A console is not powerful, they're really not. A PS4 is like what? 500$ and I built my PC for 600$ and games that the PS4 run in 720p at 30FPS my PC will render in 1080p at 60FPS. There is a vast performance difference and the price difference isn't very large and even if you build a PC for the same amount of money as the PS4, it will still be more powerful. Besides, consoles tend to go obsolete after a year or two--except this generation which was literally obsolete straight out of the box--while a PC can be upgraded gradually for way less money.

Pretty much all games are released on all platforms simultaneously unless it's a Ubisoft game but Ubisoft can honestly go fuck themselves. Exclusives I'll give you, but people tend to forget that PC has exclusives too.

There are way more indie games on PC than on any consoles and while you're right that indie games run on most low spec machines, that also means running indie games on a dedicated and expensive gaming machine such as a console is redundant. If you want indie games it's better to build a low end PC rather than buying a 500$ console.

I love consoles because of my childhood, but honestly, they're kind of a rip off.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :rolle:

Look at the specs of the consoles, then look at the specs of a ~$1k pc properly made. The processor might not be a lot different, but on a pc it can be overclocked, hyper-threaded, and ultimately replaced if a new model comes out. That's without considering solid-state drives and graphics cards that can run multiple monitors and resolutions that consoles could only gawk at, not to mention you can adjust your graphics settings in much more detail to maximize performance vs. quality. And then when you consider that pcs can be used for modding and customizing the games and are also very versatile machines in comparison, the only pluses remaining for consoles are that they are cheaper on the front end and much closer to a simple "plug and play" functionality.

I generally don't take sides in the "console wars" or even the "console vs. pc wars" because I have the great luxury of having pretty much all of them. But the facts do need to be said.

#11 Argentwing, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  12. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    a $400 dollar console is better than a $400 pc.

13. Lazuri

It is not if you build it yourself. If you buy a manufactured PC, yes a console will be stronger, but not if you build it.

14. Stripe101

I've always compared them to capitalism and communism.

In pc gaming (capitalism) the possibilities are endless. The games could look more beautiful than anything you've ever dreamed. However that only happens when you have a great pc and not everyone can afford that. What generally happens is a sub par gaming experience while the top few enjoy the spoils of an amazing gaming computer.

In console gaming (communism) everybody is equal. We all have the same device so the games always looks the same. It looks good, but the games aren't as beautiful as they could be under pc capitalism. The games are bound by the system they run on. Nothing can ever achieve more than what the console developers decide it can do.

In conclusion, both have their own pros and cons. Pick your poison.

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem with the price argument is that PC gamers have access to the Humble Bundle, Steam sales/sharing, and early access (and pirating but that's bad juju). You want new games for a console? That will set you back 60 bucks at least. The PC costs twice as much up front, but once you have it the price of gaming plummets.

16. Stripe101

[​IMG]

While admittedly Steam sales are always ridiculously cheap, let us not forget digital distribution on consoles as well. There are sales on the Playstation store all the time and as a Playstation Plus member, you get two free games every month.

17. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not counting every upgrade you have to get to run better games more efficiently.

18. KayJay

You can build a capable gaming PC for 600ish dollars, which for what you get is much more cost effective than a gaming console. You can play all your games, do work and much more.

I haven't even upgraded my PC in years, it still plays most current games on ultra, not all though. So you don't have to constantly upgrade at all.

The advantage of consoles is really just the convienence and couch atmosphere with multiplayer. The problem now a days is that they don't make many multiplayer games that you can play in person, it's all over the internet now so the social dynamic of video games through consoles is mostly dead. There goes on of consoles selling points to me. The second is conviencence. No muffing about installing games, less freezes and crashes, simplicity. But that seems to be going away too. You have to install games onto your ps4 and Xbox one now. When games freeze it takes minute(s) to boot up everything again, whereas on a PC you alt-f4 and relaunch the game in seconds.

So in my opinion get a Wii U and a PC. Games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros are all what consoles are for. Sitting around with friends and having fun. Why would I bother playing a game like Battlefield or something on console when I can play on PC with arguably better controls, better graphics and higher FPS?

I'm sure I'll be seen as a PC elitist. That's fine I guess. Just know I have a Wii U, PS3 and do eventually plan to get a PS4 when money allows. I don't hate consoles, it's just apparent PC does things better now that consoles are losing their focus.

Consoles were the shit back with N64 and PS1 when the games maybe were worse in lots of ways but it was all about having fun with your pals. Now all consoles are is playing on a gimped sort of PC.

19. Lazuri

There's no need to go overkill. My computer is nothing spectacular but it runs modern games at 60FPS on highest settings in 1080p. Seriously, technology doesn't progress quite as fast as it used to and a computer generally lasts much longer than it did five years ago or so.

I'll put away some money every month and in a year or so I'll buy some new components that makes my computer last a couple of more years. That way I don't have to spend 400 dollars on a new machine every seven years that spends its first two years being an ornament since it has virtually no games.

---------- Post added 1st Feb 2015 at 11:48 PM ----------

KelsC posted while I was writing my post, so let me just add that I agree with literally every single word she said.

20. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'll keep that as a wise quote.