1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is long distance relationship possible in dating sites?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by potofsoup, Mar 1, 2015.

1. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Hi guys :slight_smile:

For discussion:

Is it possible to develop a long distance relationship through dating sites and eventually meeting up in the near future?

Or will most members in dating sites prefer to only date those living near them?

2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know anything about dating sites, but my guess is that some wouldn't mind dating someone far away. =) However, you should bear in mind that some use dating sites as hookup sites (for sex), and those will very likely not be interested in dating someone far away.

I guess that you are able to specify wishes on your profile on a dating site.. So including "long distance relationships are welcome too" might be a good idea. :icon_bigg

3. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes but never me

4. BookWriter1994

Yes. It came happen. I can see myself having a long distance relationship if it happens. It turns out that it lasts longer because of the emotional connection

5. bulbul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's an ok place to start, sometimes even the only way to start a relationship. But you can't really fall in love with someone u haven't met in person, because no matter how long u talk to a person, you can't know many of their traits until u meet them in person.

6. Incognito10

I think it's possible; however, it's going to depend on the people, of course. I also think it might work out better for people who are more mature, have the financial resources and time to travel to meet their partner and understand the dynamics of a long distance relationship.

7. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Idk it just depends what other people are interested in. I'm in a LDR and in about a week we'll have been together for a year. However we didn't t exactly meet on a dating site but I guess that's beside the point. If you meet someone on line and you both are interested in meeting in the future that would be fine just make sure you both have the same intentions

8. jUK

jUK Guest

Call me old fashioned, but I don't believe relationships can function (well) without physical contact. I have nothing against people meeting via dating websites, apps and what not, but I think not seeing your partner in person for long periods of time allows the relationship to 'fizzle' out and could lead to possible complications, to stereotype; cheating, lying, trust issues etc.

The opinion you build and perception you imagine of someones online profile will be certainly different to how they physically are. The internet most certainly blurs their identity, so they could be someone you wouldn't necessarily 'love' in reality. I think you need to see, hear, touch and meet someone in person to start a relationship.

/ edit /

Definitely read the first post wrong, apologies! In that case, I believe you could develop a relationship online, as long as their is a clear goal of meeting up. It's easy to fall into the trap of delaying meeting up with someone as you have the security of your profile pictures (if that makes sense!)

I think it's a case of users of such websites only involve themselves with others in local proximity. That way, it still remains realistic.

#8 jUK, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2015
  9. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So you're basically saying that I haven't fallen in love with my boyfriend? If that's the case, I can admit you that you are very wrong. :lol:

You can definitely know each other's traits. It's a matter of spending time together, which is possible online.. Via Skype, for instance. =)

10. musicman1982

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel it's a 50/50 split. These days, its no longer a done deal for if some people if they are willing to travel whatever amount of miles to see their loved one, god bless skype or whatever type of service. But you would have to feel so much love for this person in order to travel to where they are or they would have to where you are.

In terms of dating. I would say, it would be easier if someone travels for their work or whatever reason that may be. If you are willing to meet someone, if you don't have a reason to travel, I would say it's up to the individual. There are many distant relationships that work, as long as there is compromise like any other relationship, it's just with a distant relationship it's on a grander scale, rather then meeting someone around the corner or even on the other side of town of where someone lives.

Like as if you are dating someone locally, you have to factor in if you have a connection with the person you have been chatting to on the internet. If you are meeting someone from the internet for the first time, it doesn't mean that you have to act differently, you just got to go from where you last chatted, take it from there and go on a date like as if you would be local to one another. Just to point out, I am only going by advice that I have been given and learnt from other people.

For me personally, I don't know if I would actively seek out a long distance relationship. But, if I loved someone that much and I would have to do it, I would. Because love outweighs everything, if you have a strong relationship. If you are just dating, I would say it would be difficult, unless if you see it going somewhere. To sum up what I have said, I don't think the subject of long distance relationships should be a no-go area, but I think a person should know the facts and the compromises they have to take in order to be with them, because if someone loves them that much, then they should be able to outsmart any given situation that could arise when being apart.

11. Mitchell

I've read the responses, and I do believe it is a 50/50 split.

I strongly believe you can become emotionally attached to someone in a long distance relationship, but you're missing the other half, the physical part... and I'm not talking about sex - I am simply talking about going places, doing things, being close, and so on.

Hopefully it will work out. I myself am seeking one, although many guys I've interacted with are turned off that I don't drive, as they have wanted to meet.

12. RainDreamer

As someone who is currently in a relationship with someone on the other side of the world, yeah, I would say it is possible, but you have a lot to make up for lack of physical contact. Online game, chat, image sharing, etc. Anything that let you feel like you are together.

But usually, long distance relationship can't last forever - at one point it will have to turn to close distance no matter how brief, or die.

13. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It can be possible. As long as you have a good and constant communication with him/her. But I agree with RainDreamer, long distance relationship cant last forever. One way or another, the two of you should meet. :slight_smile:

14. Sam I Am

I didn't meet my girlfriend through a dating site, but we did meet online. We were both members of an online writing collaborative game, and we initially fell in love with each other because of our writing. We spent years being online friends, then we began visiting each other, and finally last year I convinced her to move out here to live with me. Now, we have an apartment together and we're deliriously happy!

All I can say is, it will take longer, since you have extra barriers to overcome. But if you found the right person, it's totally worth it.

15. ScatteredEarth

Well while EC isn't necessarily a dating site, I've met 2 people here that were both far away from me, while one wasn't really working out, and only lasted for about 2 weeks, the one I'm currently with, I've been with since September 2013 :slight_smile: (Although I actually have seen him in person about 3 times now, staying at his place for a week or month or so.. Actually I left on the 12th of Feb, and stayed there until the 22nd just recently.)

But the point still stands, people want to feel that connection, so while some might be just in it for the sex, I'm sure there are others who want the emotional connection that has to be put in front in LDR's

16. timo

It can be possible... but don't feel let down if you find out a lot of people are not up for it.

I could never do it myself. I want to hang out with someone, just talking on Skype or calling each other is definitely not enough for me. And no, that's not just for the sex, it's because I like to actually spend time in person with someone I love.

Besides that, I can understand how some might fall in love online, but in my opinion you'll never know if this love is truly real until you've met each other in person.

17. EmoPixie

Out Status:
    Family only
    I personally think long distance relationships are very romantic. I would totally be into that if someone were to ever like me.

18. shota

shota Guest

Yep they will ... I'm not in to it cause I like to meet up right a way

19. potofsoup

potofsoup Guest

Thanks for your replies guys :slight_smile: