1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painkillers

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Michael, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ... Please only legal substances here.

Currently using/abusing a combination of Metamizol and Ibuprofen.
    It's far from working, and I can't afford the luxury of staying in bed all day looking like a suffering romantic picture, I need to keep moving :rolle:

Doc said it all looks normal, and gave the rx for Metamizol.

Do you have any suggestions/tips to deal with this pain?

2. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is dental pain for the work you've been talking about, right? Is it from your tooth or gums?

3. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah... 2 wisdom teeth extracted, down next to my jaws.

Hurts everywhere inside the mouth, at times it even reaches my head or my neck.
    It is not swollen by the way.

4. Cesar123

If Metamizol is not working well you ask your doctor about nimesulide ( 100mg 12 and 12 hours should be fine ). Try Tynenol ( acetaminophen ) if you feel ibuprofen isn't working. If it really bothers you, you need to tell your dentist. Anything else concerning about your wisdom teeth removal? Bumps? Discharges? Fever? Someone removing them this late in age can be concerning. Usually for the removal of wisdom teeth you are gonna have some level of pain and discomfort.

---------- Post added 25th Mar 2015 at 02:01 PM ----------

Try to take them at the prescribe times...no abusing! Your liver really hates this kind of medication. You also shouldn't be moving around for at least 3 days, longer depending on the how the healing process is going.

#4 Cesar123, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  5. Maeve

In the US, they typically prescribe opiates after oral surgery. All of my friends got vicodin (or another hydrocodone/acetaminophen pill). I'm not familiar with metamizol (it's banned in the US, apparently). I'd go back to your doctor and ask for a differet prescription.

6. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, it's the 10th day now. I tried to rest for a few days, but because of work I had to travel this week, maybe the trip (a.k.a. moving here and there and all the stress) did me no good. Also it got a bit swollen for some reason, one side a bit bigger, perhaps because I tend to sleep on that side.

I have been resting for like 2 days in a row now and the pain has improved. Sadly I'll be back to travelling in a few days. Can't do much about it.

Dentist said all looks normal. Afterwards I also asked my GP, same opinion. No chances to get Vicodin or something like that in Europe, Maeve... Or at least in Germany, and for that kind of surgery. And I think it's for good reasons. The stuff I mentioned was banned in the US (oficially) because of the side effects. So far I have had none of those side effects. Today I had a 1/4 of the dosis, and I'm not suffering worse pain nor missing the junk at all. So far, I can recommend it.

I guess I'll have to go through and try to rest, but I'm not sure I'll have many chances for that. When I asked about painkillers I was also wondering about natural stuff, maybe foods or herbs that could help the healing process, or at least help when you have no options but to keep moving.

Anyways, thank you guys, I really apreciate it.

7. Hiems

Ibuprofen is available OTC, but the dose per tablet is not as high as ibuprofen through prescription. It's pretty potent stuff, and it should work.

The OTC products I can think of are Orajel and Red Cross Eugenol Cotton Pellets, but they are intended for toothache, not inflammatory pain after dental work. They probably won't do squat for the pain you have.

So, I would stick with what the doctor prescribed you. If it the pain comes back, then call your dentist and ask what the next step should be.

8. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know if they're okay for dental work, but whenever I get migraines I take ketoprofen or diclofenac in large doses. Ketoprofen is much stronger than the diclofenac, but it's not available everywhere as an over-the-counter drug.

9. Cesar123

It's probably just a minor oral hematoma. Basically the area is bruised from the surgery and there is blood around the area causing it look puffy. Is it kinda hard lump? It's either that it could be food and bacteria stuck inside your cheek. They will go away also with time.
    Like I said there isn't much I you can do about the pain. You mentioned you have gone to your dentist which means you can rule out dry socket or an infection.
    Do you get this weird taste in your mouth from time to time? If so, there is probably gunk still stuck in your cheek. Ask your dentist about hydrogen peroxide at 3% to clear it. If it's an oral hematoma you will just need to let it heal. Keep your head extra elevated so you get better circulation and it might also help with the pain.

Take care

10. JakeLovesOnika

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    When I had a sports injury, I took percocet, it's oxycodone and acenophetamine(if I spelled it right lol) pretty potent stuff! I eventually made the choice to switch bc they are addicting.

11. PunkRockKitten

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For dental pain I think you should see your dentist and ask what he recommends. I'm actually surprised you had a dental procedure preformed and left without pain killers because my dad is a dentist and he always offers to prescribe his patients a pain killer when they have a serious operation.

12. Maeve

If you're still in pain 10 days out, then you need to see your doctor. I had major surgery two weeks ago, and if I were still in that sort of pain, my surgeon would be all over it. Thankfully, my recovery was not painful.

Granted, I live in America and they hand out narcotics like candy. I still have virtually all of the painkillers my surgeon prescribed. And there were a lot. I think he WAY over prescribed--I could take the max dosage for 5 solid days and have pills left over.