1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is mind dysphoria?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Lawrence, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand body dysphoria and social dysphoria.

Please help me understand "mind dysphoria" because I have a rough idea and it could be wrong.

Do you think this is a real thing? Do you feel mind dysphoria? Some examples would also be a huge help.

What I've seen just says "Discomfort someone feels when their thoughts and emotions are at odds with their sense of identity."

2. Lazuri

One example is if you accidentally refer to yourself with your old name or a pronoun you do not actually want to be called.

3. Folieadeux

Not totally sure, but maybe another example could be like a little battle in your head telling you that you'll never be the gender you are, or you are kidding yourself or something like that? That's happened to me multiple times.

4. suninthesky

When I'm on my period I get overly emotional. I feel dysphoric for the fact that I get overly emotional.

5. Queero

I'm not entirely sure if this is the right thing, but I call it "the asshole voice".

It's like the voice anyone can have that tells them they aren't good enough, but mine cuts to the deepest little insecurities and the slightest questioning about my gender identity.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get it a lot when I think of myself in the past as female. It's weird. I get it more now than before I transitioned. It feels like there is a disconnect, even though I am the same person I was before.

7. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I just learnt this term today and I think it fits my experience with dysphoria perfectly. Having people refer to me with the wrong pronouns or nickname is annoying at worst but mostly I don't care and I don't really have a problem with my body. But I can't deal with referring to myself with female pronouns/nouns or my 'girly' nickname. Sometimes it's to the point where I can't actually say certain words out loud in referance to myself ("girl" being one example). And I've always felt a disconnect with those words too. For example; I'm an older sibling, and a very proud one, but I'm not a sister and I've always felt I filled the 'protective older brother role' more than a 'sister' role. And yet I feel absolutely no need to tell my sister to call me her brother or something.

8. Tardis221B

I used to have this (and still do) pretty bad.

For me mind dysphoria = emotional dysphoria, which means that I get upset with the way I handle emotions. I get dysphoric when i think my thoughts or emotional reactions to a situation are too female. I also get dysphoric about my emotions when they get too "girly" just in my own head. Also this effects my writing to a certain degree, and I get really self conscious thinking that my writing style might be perceived as female, because they are male thoughts.

For long time, and still even today, mind dysphoria prevents me from easily crying, especially if there is the risk that someone might see me. Not because I don't think men cry, but if people saw me crying as I am, I would only reinforce their belief that i'm the stereotypical female.

This form of dysphoria, while its not the worst, in a way it is. Being at war with myself even inside my own head is really hard, because at least in my mind that is where I know I am really male, so when my thinking patterns or emotions start mimicking those of the stereotypical female, it makes me feel like their won't ever be an escape or a place I can be free without dysphoria haunting me.

#8 Tardis221B, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  9. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This... It just kills me :icon_redf

I guess we could pack all what people mentioned here and give it the name mind dysphoria.

To me it would be trying to get rid of the role I've been playing for so long. It keeps coming in little things, on and off, specially some gestures. It's just confusing and frustrating.

10. lonewolfblair

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    for me it is a looming presence that hangs over me and is a manifestation of my self loathing and often attacks while I am going to sleep or when I am alone in school, it causes me to question myself and feeds of my fear of not passing using it to confuse me.

it is the most powerful of the three for me with social in second and body in third, excuse me while I go find a dark corner and try to fight the voice away.

11. Im Hazel

Excluding physical dysphoria, I feel dysphoria when people comment on my body in a pro-masculine way (etc.), or when I am with a group of very aggressive people.

12. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think the first is social dysporia. The second... I don't know, it could be social or "mind" dysphoria, or a combination of both, depending on what you feel on that particular moment.

Social dysphoria is when others missgender you.

13. AfraidandAlone

it makes me want to cry when some one says im handsome or when my female co workers say they need a big strong guy to help them... it is to the point when my co workers say that i have actually caught my self telling them that i am not a bug strong guy though... they always laugh it off as a joke but it even just saying it does help me feel better though.

14. Im Hazel

I just realized OP specifically discluded social dysphoria. Sorry for confusing the matter. :frowning2: