1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out again.. to the same people..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kafei, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Kafei

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've come out as trans to multiple people. The problem is, I only have one friend that respects me.

It's not that the other people had negative responses, they just... ignored me? A couple of friends and my sister, for example, haven't even acknowledged the fact that I'm trans. And when I came out to my parents they took it as me coming out as gender questioning and sent me to a therapist to figure out my gender and how to transition. I didn't need the therapy, so I told them I could stop going (they seemed uncomfortably relieved to hear that...) and I guess they just thought it was over?

I understand that this is mostly because of the way I present myself. I don't have a binder or much masculine clothing and I can come off as rather feminine. I'm almost done with high school and have been planning on transitioning properly after graduation ever since I figured out I was trans.

I only have about a month and a half left until I graduate and I don't know if I can handle being called "she" by these people that are supposed to be close to me anymore. I feel like I need to come out to all these people again soon, but I also really want to go through with my plan of transitioning after high school. I'm not really sure what I want to do anymore, honestly.

2. sedgeling

It might be a good idea to open up the conversation again. They don't seem to be hostile, but they also aren't respecting you. I recommend that you just discuss with them what it is that you have said here about your intentions to later transition, and that you don't appreciate that they still use she/her pronouns when referring to you. They might not even realize that what they are doing is disrespectful, and sometimes you have to self-advocate in these sorts of situations.

3. whww123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just remember coming out can be shocking and confusing to people. Just politely correct them whenever they call you she and eventually they'll fix their diction. Keep rockin', graduation's in a couple months. :slight_smile:

4. Kafei

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ahh thanks. I think I'll try to work up the courage to have this talk with them again soon.