1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you approach risk in life?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Hexagon

Any kind of risk. Answer as you see fit.

Personally, if at all possible, I'll try to learn the rules and avoid the risk. If that can't be done, then I'll usually accept physical risk, but not other kinds.

2. Candace

I try to consider the pros and cons of each risk that I encounter. I'm one who doesn't like to waste time. I don't want to take a risk and then find out that it really wasn't worth it. For example, there's this position on campus to work at the library. It pays a little less than what I make now. Should I take it or go somewhere off campus and try to make more. Considering that this is the same place where I want to get my Master's degree, I'd rather earn less money and be ensured that I have a job in the same place where I work. This is granted that I have this library position. I feel like that if I try to risk it for something supposedly better off campus, and don't get it, then I won't have that job nor the library position, which would suck.

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like this:

[​IMG]

Usually, i try to avoid any risks unless they are rewarding enough to worth the risk. But seriously, it depends on the risk.

4. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By ignoring the risk and doing it anyway, usually - unless it might result in death. I could do with being a little more cautious.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Depends on the severity of the risk, really.

Weigh the pros and cons, look for loopholes and technicalities, see if there is any 'weak point' if it involves people, and go from there. For Plan A, have a Plan B, and for Plan B have a Plan C, and so on and so forth. I don't like being totally unprepared; call it paranoia, or the sign of tactical prowess.

I'm very... meticulous, when it comes to planning. Almost obsessive, but that is due to my past endeavors, when it comes to approaching something. The more severe the situation, the more preparation I put into it.

But if I'm on the spot, and it becomes do or die, well...

I grab risk by the throat, and break it's fucking neck.

If I really want something, then I'll get it. I don't exactly welcome the word "impossible" with open arms. Not really in the mood to have a lot of regrets anymore either, because I have plenty of them as is.

6. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm okay with a little physical risk. I'm working on taming my impulses. It is a miracle that I've never suffered severe injuries. With that said, you won't find me speeding, unless my life depended on it. When I play games such as GTA, it actually takes me a few minutes to realise that it's safe to break traffic rules.

I do my best to avoid risking permanent harm and death. For example, I've prepared myself to escape home, within a minute, in case of fire. I've read about home disasters. I believe that planning and drills reduce the shock when you're in a real crisis.

I'm very careful with money. I don't play the lottery. I've even made my own parents sign 'contracts' when they took my pocket money, to buy me stuff, because I was unable to. I try to order some things in bulk and most of my shopping is done weekly. Although I do splurge on my hobbies. I've studied business and it really helps.

Maybe you've read that story about the woman that is incapable of feeling fear. It was kind of interesting.

7. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm a pretty cautious person. Before doing anything I need to rationalize the value and possible outcomes. In other words, is it worth it? If I have a specific goal, then I have plans with so many contigency plans it would make your head spin. But no matter what I accomplish my goals, risks be damned. To me the point of a achieving a goal has more value than anything else.

Physical risks are somewhat along these lines. I don't mind a bit of pain and have a fairly high threshold for it, but I don't seek it out either.

8. Sang

I usually think it over as I'm plowing ahead with an "I hope this works out" attitude. Afterwards, I think it over more thoroughly and see what changes can be made next time I meet a similar risk.

9. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I figure out or have someone teach me how to decrease risk as much as possible with
    activities while still living life.

10. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have to calculate odds in my head of succeeding/surviving.

Most of the time, "screw it."

11. White Knight

12. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Head-on. I'm impulsive and have trouble planning my moves.

13. kem

kem

I don't really think about my choices in life that way, but basically my career choice is one big risk and I'll either get rich or... you know the drill

( =mooch off our wonderful Nordic welfare system, bitter and alone)

14. Ryu

Ryu

I don't. I've never even seen the game in real life, let alone played it.
    Wait...

I normally just try to avoid it, if possible. Inexplicable self preservation.

15. LaEsmeralda

Depends on the sort of risk. Funding for the arts and the environment has been completely slashed where I live and the career choice I'm studying for combines the two. But I'd rather do something I love and struggle than do something I didn't and regret it. So while I'm risking debt and uncertain employment outcomes in the future, it's worth it.

I think life would be very boring if we didn't have to take risks every now and again.

16. 404dotexe

I haven't had many risks, and the few I've had I don't remember. I seem to usually just think "meh, I'll be OK whatever happens", its worked so far

17. the haunted

I try to throw in some risk-taking here and there while still having a foot on the ground. I wouldn't gamble with my life savings, but I will still gamble.

18. juliegt6

Balancing risk of doing, not doing, and consequences of each action. There are so many variables that an entire field of statistics exists in relation to this.

Sometimes I just do what I'm told at work, even if it's stupid. Then I document things so I don't get blamed. Often I have very clear cut options where one option is clearly better than the other.

For personal evaluations, I try to analyze the most prudent option, mitigate risk as much as possible and go for it. I once had to decide when to come out as trans to a person I went out with a few times. I felt it was worth the risk and to go for it. I came out at a busy restaurant which didn't serve alcohol, I drove myself, I brought my gun, and we were across the street from the police headquarters. It went poorly, I was rejected, but she didn't make a scene and I got away safely. I had options for various outcomes though and felt I planned for contingencies quite well.

19. Vesper

Unfortunately, I take very few risks (excluding impulsive ones like reading my phone while driving) unless I've assured myself of a good outcome. Due to a pathological fear of disappointment and failure, I'm highly risk-averse (and this includes pretty much every kind of risk). Of course, this has (ironically) led to the very things I was avoiding in the first place: failure, disappointment, and no small amount of existential anxiety.

20. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Usually by carefully maneuvering around it