1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on Coming Out to Parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by emmussey90, Apr 26, 2015.

1. emmussey90

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am afraid that my parents will disown me if I tell them. I have never really thought much about how they feel about bisexuality. How do I tell them. They have only seen me date men and I have a child so they probably just assume that I am straight. Should I just be direct and tell them (which may blindside them) or should I drop subtle hints that will bring them to the conclusion on their own. I want to tell them but I don't know how.

2. nohalos

Well, will you, by any chance, be financially stable if ever they do disown you?

Since you are of age, I think you have the power to do anything. However, if they do disown you and you're not financially stable yet, there comes the problem.

You can always choose to drop the subtlest of hints, if you are still financially dependent. If you are not, I guess you can tell them in a straightforward manner or try dropping it bit by bit until you get there.

3. emmussey90

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I do not depend on them financially. Even though I am an adult and don't really need much help from them I do value their opinion of me which is what makes it difficult for me. I love them and don't want them to think less of me for it and I don't want to lose people that I love because I am who I am.

4. TheStormInside

I understand your feelings, emmussey90, though I don't have a lot of advice to give as I have not yet come out to my parents, either. People always ask "are you financially independent?" and it's definitely an important factor, but sometimes I think the emotional toll can be forgotten. Even as adults living independently we have deep relationships with and feelings for our parents. They're our parents, and if they reject us it's still going to be painful. For me, I don't expect to be disowned, but I don't expect it to be a positive experience, either.

Why do you feel they will disown you? Are they openly homophobic? Religious? Some other reason?

Also, why do you feel you need to tell them right now? Are you going to start dating women? Getting involved in the LGBT community? Or is it just that you *want* them to know?

5. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, I want to let them know but I'm not sure why I can't come to terms to telling them.

I feel like there will be some level of rejection, but I don't know what to really expect which is probably why I'm so concerned. Maybe you could come out to them when you feel ready? For example, I'm not ready yet so I don't feel comfortable telling them.