1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When in denial, behaving more distant with the same sex?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by TeaTree, Aug 30, 2015.

1. TeaTree

This is one of those "can anyone relate to this?" threads :slight_smile:

So I've been in denial/bargaining for a long time about my sexuality (10+ years) and I had a pretty long phase in that period when I managed to isolate myself from almost all my female friends. I started hanging out with mostly men, told myself I get along much better with men and when I really had to meet my female friends I felt just uncomfortable and weird and didn't know why.
    Also tried to avoid physical contact in all ways possible.

Now, after finally acknowledging my sexuality, I realized what I've missed and actually it feels much more natural for me to be close to women than it ever felt with men :slight_smile:

Has this or similar happened to anyone else?

2. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    People trying to hide their same sex attraction tend to avoid the same sex in fear of losing their focus or something, they may even spend less time with the same sex than straight friends of the same sex.I used to get really.nervous when I.made skin to skin contact with another guy but I'm fine now.

#2 Chromedome, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  3. IG88

Hmm...several years ago I tended to hang out with girls more so than guys. Then, when I started college I got a new friend bubble and started hanging out with guys more so than before. I'd say currently I hang out with guys a little more often than girls.

I used to be more nervous around guys. Idk why. Now I'm fine. I catch myself looking at their exposed arms if I'm hanging out with them lol but I don't get flustered thankfully :wink:

4. Siegfried

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Kind of, although I don't think it's related to denial in my case. It's more related to the fact that I get nervous around people I'm attracted to, even slightly, so have a harder time becoming close to them. I often probably seem awkward or quiet, especially at first.

I'm bi, but my orientation is kind of weird. If you sort people left to right, from the most feminine female to the most masculine male, the dividing line for a straight guy, between sexually attractive and not, would be in the middle, between male and female. For me, it's basically shifted to the right, so it includes both girls and guys who aren't too masculine. So, which people do I tend to make friends with most easily? Masculine guys.

It isn't that I don't want to be friends with more feminine guys or with girls, I just find it a lot harder. I know one guy who's my type and whom I find very attractive. It took a long time to get things started, but it felt great when we started getting to know each other – and it happened mainly because he persisted, despite my initial awkwardness. Then it turned out he's either also bi or gay, and likes me too (maybe that's why he persisted), but is very much in the closet. As a result, things got complex. Now I don't even know if we'll end up as friends. :frowning2: I still want to try, but the emotions can get so strong, and I don't know if he wants to try. With more masculine guys, it's so much simpler. For me at least, it's important to have time to relax with friends with whom there's no risk of attraction developing.

5. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, it was completely the opposite; I'm not sure why. In order to fulfill my desire to be with a woman, I'd hangout with women more than men.