1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was it hard to come out to your sibling(s)?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SubZero, Aug 30, 2015.

1. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm out to one cousin and aunt, but no one in my immediate family. But I'm thinking about coming out to my older brother (who's 25). I feel like he'll be supportive and such, but there's always that fear that he will react badly. He's very sociable and has met many different people, including gay people, which makes me think that he'll understand. We have a pretty close relationship even though I don't see him that often. My goal is to, slowly but surely, come out to more people.

As far as my parents go, there's no way I'd tell them anytime soon.

So, for those of you who have a brother and/or sister, was it difficult to come out to them or was it pretty easy compared to coming out to your parents? And how did you go about doing it?

2. Riyuzaki

Riyuzaki Guest

I'm thinking of the same thing as you : outing myself to an older brother.
    I'm still in Narnia, so I can't share my experience, but I can say that even thinking about outing myself to him makes me uncomfortable.

3. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I feel ya. It definitely was nerve-wrecking coming out to my cousin and aunt earlier this year. I had so much anxiety and I was just overall terrified to tell them, but their supportive reaction made me feel soooo much better and I'm glad I did it. Now, I'm having those same emotions and thoughts as I did before I came out to them. It's just scary not knowing how my brother will react.

I wish you luck coming out to your brother! I think I'll eventually have the courage to do it, but we'll see...

4. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

It was quite easy to come out to my parents as they are actually capable of being serious (like me), unlike my two brothers, who shy away from being serious. They're always being light-hearted, but I know that somewhere in there they want to be able to be serious and tell me about things in their lives. Instead, they dance around anything serious, which puts me in a position where I feel like if I came out to them, they would make light of it, and therefore undermine my feelings and sexuality.

5. mangotree

I think coming out to my older sister was probably one of my most drama-free outings.

6. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first sibling was the hardest. The other two were easy. I knew all three would be supportive.

7. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My sister was 7 when I came out - she didn't understand the concept at all.

8. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

I have come out to my sister about my bisexuality, bot not my object sexuality. I didn't find it hard, even though I thought she would poke fun at me for it, though she didn't, she just told me it was "awkward" and that it's "not something you should tell your sibling." I try being honest as sin with her about myself, and that's how she repays me? And she wonder's why I keep calling her a bitch.

9. 50ishandout

My sister in law told my brother, and a friend who is gay and my sisters BFF told her. It was easy.

10. Bee12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My twin brother was the first person I told. I just simply said that I wasn't straight and he took it really well.

11. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for sharing your stories, guys! Glad it went well for most of you. I'm hoping to do the same pretty soon..

12. Theo Weiss

Haven't had the courage to do so as of yet.