1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Artist Banned From the UK For Homophobic Lyrics

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Foz, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Simple Thoughts

Yeah but understanding that would require a little bit of legwork which no one is willing to do. People would rather just get offended and upset without actually thinking about what was being said.

2. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me its simple don't like the lyrics don't buy the music or associate with the group or singer. I think banning singers is not the way to go about it and we have better things to focus on like fighting ISIS or world hunger.

I know I don't live in the UK but just saying I don't give a damn about some lyrics personally.

#22 dano218, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  3. William

Well this was unneeded...

4. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

People don't need an excuse to make a big deal of something and get all offended these days and Tyler is an easy target since he obviously couldn't care less who he offends. He's still doing what he's been doing no matter how much people take his music literally and hate him for it, you gotta respect that in him~

5. Simple Thoughts

Eminem stopped giveing a Fuuuuuck first =P

Nah but in all seriousness I'm impartial to Tyler.

6. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    How is having a lesbian in it proof of anything, especially that he's not homophobic? Many straight men love lesbians but they're still very homophobic in general, and very hatefull especially toward gay men. Straight guys don't seem to mind lesbians, but many seem to have a problem with gay guys, it's sad but it's the truth.

7. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    He has freedom of speech.

I do not care what they say as long as no one is hurt.

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Free speech works differently in different countries. The UK's free speech laws are different from the ones in the US.

9. Simple Thoughts

Clearly since you can be kicked out for what you say x3

I just see it as a giant broadcast of fear personally. They're so afraid of one person's opinion they won't let him into their country at all. What a bunch of cowards.

10. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

If by different you mean that their "free" speech isn't really free you would be correct.

11. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, it's actually a case where the US has a "positive" right to free speech, and the UK has a "negative" right to free speech, and positive rights usually oblige action, whereas negative rights usually oblige inaction. The UK has free speech, they just don't have the same type as the US. To say that the UK doesn't have free speech would be like saying that Granny Smith apples aren't real apples because they aren't the same type of apples you eat which are Red Delicious. To say the only way to do free speech is the way the US does is also ethnocentric, as it compares other cultures to yours in a lens where you find yours the automatic superior, without looking at both objectively.

12. thepandaboss

For me, I think it sets a bad precedent. But then again, I'm American. It's different over here. I don't see why Tyler really has a case to be banned either way though- the songs in question were written and performed five years ago, he doesn't seem to actually be homophobic, and he's performing in a genre where controversy is expected. What's next? Banning Thomas Harris because someone may have found a book he wrote 20+ years ago offensive?

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does the UK's Home Office have a bigger obligation to an offensive foreign artist or to the Britons who don't want to have a that performer physically in their country?

And if you find this a problem, could you please identify for me some unacceptable harms this has caused?

14. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Although, should citizens of a country get to cherrypick who gets to come to their country and who doesnt?

15. Simple Thoughts

What obligation to their people? No one demanded he be banned the person in charge didn't like his lyrics and didn't bother to look into them any, or judge how they changed over the course of 5 friggin years.

Also...

Are you suggesting that people be allowed to ban anything they don't like by majority rule? If you are, you should really re-evaluate that argument because I like not having to worry about being attacked for being bisexual

Harms...

off the top of my head

1.) The dissapointment of hundreds of thousands of fans, some of which are probably very troubled teens who see Tyler as a outlet for their own personal troubles.

2.) The loss of revenue to whatever area he performed in

3.) The broadcast of their cowardice to other nations.

#35 Simple Thoughts, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  16. Chi and Bashful

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thats a good point you bring up but like i said, to me the jurys still out on him being straight and his lyrics are satrical by default so it cant take anything he says at face value...

17. LiquidSwords

He has been prevented entry which is different in a pretty vast way to being "kicked out"

Any country with any sort of immigration policy or border control is deciding for itself which people's entry it believes will benefit the country and which will harm it. That's the UK's right to decide just as it is any other country's using whatever criteria

It really isn't hard to understand the difference between a foreign national being denied entry to the UK vs the consequences of a UK national saying the same things as Tyler, which wouldn't end up with them being exiled

It's not stupid to be 'afraid' of people coming to this country to spread hateful/ backward/ intolerant attitudes or to promote terrorism, which is why the power exists. I wonder how up in arms you'd be if an Islamic hate preacher was banned entry from the US

Anyway..
    Tyler/ odd future group isn't/aren't, despite saying faggot a lot, actually that homophobic with frank ocean also of odd future being gay. He also raps about raping women and stuff but they're basically a joke act, tongue in cheek and not supposed to be taken seriously. It's mainly listened to by middle class white kids. What I'm saying is, it's a stupid decision, but Theresa May is a stupid woman so it figures

I hate how governments pretend that they can simultaneously focus on other things as well as THE BIGGEST ISSUE IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW like who cares about education policy WHAT ABOUT ISIS

I even get annoyed when I'm with friends and they talk about music and stuff like guys don't you know about the migrant crisis what's your answer to it?!! But they just crack on as if it's possible to care about more than one thing at a time

#37 LiquidSwords, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  18. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're really scraping the barrel there - 'Tyler, the Creator', being denied entry into the UK is unlikely to have much if any impact, and considering that most of us didn't even know of his existence until he was explicitly banned from coming here, kind of shows how many people will be bothered by this decision - which is to say, not very many. I literally don't know a single person who has ever heard of him, his music, or his entourage. He ain't no Eminem.

Americans defend everybody's right to say whatever they want to anyone, however offensive - that viewpoint isn't held throughout the world - and it really isn't wise to be criticising the way my country does things considering the state your own is in.

#38 imnotreallysure, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  19. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

So... if somebody, preferably from the United Kingdom, could answer this for me, I'd be most appreciative:

If Tyler can be banned from the UK for [old] homophobic lyrics... let us say Mike Huckabee became President of the United States, could he also be banned from entering? Or do politicians get some kind of loophole? Huckabee has said some ridiculously offensive stuff, to and about many folks.

Basically what I'm asking is, is there a limit to who/whom this affects?

20. Psaurus918

Eminem has used gay and faggot in his lyrics.. Is he banned too? I'm no fan of either of them but it only seems fair to ban Eminem too