1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What height difference is generally acceptable in a couple?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by CodeForLife, Sep 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm assuming in general people will tend to date others with similar attributes to themselves. If someone is taller, they probably prefer a taller partner since they have had similar experiences in life.

Obviously height is just a physical attribute and doesn't say anything about the person's personality or moral fabric.

In general, is there a height difference that is too far apart to be accepted as ok to date? I assume someone who is 5'2" will never date someone who is 6'6", for example. Do gay couples usually date within 6 inches of each other? 4 inches?

What are your thoughts on this?

2. Haadriv

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    People have different preferences while choosing to date but physical attributes are less important than computability and how that person makes u feel so yeah won't you date someone short if that person feels good to be with, cares about u, and most of all u feel you click with that person.. Its uncommon to find someone you actually "click" with..

3. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly could care less. My girlfriend is 6-7 inches taller than me.

Also, my sixth grade teacher married another teacher. He was 6'5" and she is 4'11". They got married three years ago and it was adorable.

Height doesn't matter to me in relationships and I would never rule out someone because they were too tall.

4. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 5'3" and dated a guy that was 6'5". Our reasons for breaking up had nothing to do with height. My current girlfriend is the same height as me. I don't think height matters really at all, especially beyond initial physical attraction.

5. Riyuzaki

Riyuzaki Guest

I don't care. I'm often surprised when people around me act all "whatdafu*k is this" when they see that the guy is lower than his girlfriend. They often say it looks weird or ugly. I'm like "what is wrong with you people?"... But it is normal when a guy is taller, of course.
    I personally find it cute when there is a height difference in couples. I'd like me a guy who's taller or shorter :slight_smile:

6. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never quite understood height being a huge factor in relationships, myself, haha! I have no idea what the societal standard for height differences is.

(I actually find significant height differences really cute, regardless of the genders of the couple. Visual contrast!)

I mean, I'm pretty tiny. I can't imagine having a problem with a significant other who was a lot taller than me - to me, that can only be a plus, right? And as for smaller than me, as long as they're okay with nobody being able to reach the top shelf and us needing stepladders for everything, fair enough!

7. xxCHAOTIC

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Height doesn't matter at all. People have their preferences but that's all. My dad is 6'2" my mom is 5'2" and I've always thought it was hilarious and cute.

My roommate's parents, his step mom is an inch taller than his dad at 6'2". Also adorable. It makes no difference.

8. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I'd date a guy much taller then me (I'm average female height, 5'08") and a girl either shorter or taller. I find relationships where the female is taller then the male weird, sometimes. Maybe cuz super tall girls are hard to find and boys are usually...slightly taller then girls, usually. So I'm not used to it.

9. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Height isn't that big of an issue but personally I would prefer to date a guy taller than me (I'm 4'11"). Same with a girl but I'm more okay with her being short like me.

#9 XenaxGabby, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  10. TheSeeker

I dated a guy that was 6'4" (I'm 5'9") and I didn't think it would be a factor. He was also significantly heavier than me as well (260lbs, I was 180 at the time). But he was the bottom and, frankly, we had some mechanical difficulties trying to find the right position. It was one of the main things that led to our breakup. So I'm now more physically selective in terms of height and weight, keeping the past in mind.

11. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Height's not an issue at all, being 6'5" tall I don't mind dating short guys. :slight_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.