1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars: Battlefront open beta weekend

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lazuri, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Lazuri

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread about this.

From tomorrow--which is thursday, October 8th--throughout the weekend, there is a beta for Star Wars: Battlefront accessible for everybody.

Be prepared that the system requirements on PC are absurdly high, though.

2. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I just have no hope for this game at all sadly

3. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this could be good. I'm certainly interested in trying out the Beta. Is it available for everyone or do you have to sign up?

4. Lazuri

I dunno how it works on console, but if Titanfall was any indicator, you'll be able to download the game through Origin on PC when the beta starts, so all you need is an origin account.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not too excited about it either. Some people are speculating that the high system requirements are a result of bad code that wastes a ton of memory. Because there are much more complex games that don't recommend 16 gigs for best results. That amount of memory isn't outrageous for high-end PCs that max out performance, but just to run the game well? That's redonkulous.

#5 Argentwing, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  6. Lazuri

Have you seen what the game looks like? Besides, 16GB isn't that much by today's standards--people maxing out performance have rigs with 32GB RAM these days--and the minimum requirements are still at 8GB. The common theme with modern games is that minimum system reqs are high, but the games tend to look great even on the lowest settings and recommended reqs has changed meaning from "this is what you need to run it well" to "this is what you need to run it on ultra."

It might sound like I'm blindly defending, but I'm a lot more hopeful about this game than most. Why? You've gotta be really fucking stupid to have an open beta for a bad game. If you have a bad game and you know it, you don't invite people to play it before release, you put up a total embargo on information the way Activision did with Tony Hawk 5.

#6 Lazuri, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  7. Lazuri

I've played a few games now and can say that the worries about performance are totally unfounded. The game runs super well.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You make some good points. I hope what I quoted is the truth. Although there seems to be a strain of opinion that performance and production is what makes a game worthwhile. Too often I see "1080" or "4k" and "60fps" touted as selling points. Yeah I love graphics and smooth framerates, but if your game is weak they won't help.

I don't think they'll worry about an open beta if it is really similar to Battlefield. That game's solid and if they took it as a base, not a lot will go wrong. My worry is that it won't be a lot like Battlefront 2. That game was almost flawless as I see it, and the more they deviate from its formula rather than expand on it, the less expectations I have.

9. Lazuri

I've played it a far amount now and here's my two cents on it.

First of all, the worries about performance was clearly unfounded. My GPU is a GTX660 2GB which happens to be the GPU listed on the min system reqs, but the game defaulted me to medium and I even dared to crank everything to high. It looks gorgeous and I'm still running it at 60FPS. The min reqs are clearly much lower than what is listed. I'm not so sure why they listed them this low.

As for whether or not it feels like Battlefront 2, it doesn't. But that's okay. If I want to play Battlefront 2, I will go and play that. This is something new and while it does smell of Battlefield, you can definitely feel influences from Battlefront 2 in there. It feels sort of like a mix between the two and it's really fun to play and it feels really good.

Really, my biggest gripes so far is that the difficulty curve is a little steep and that the game is way too bright as you can't see shit when you're facing the direction of the sun.

10. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

So, what do we think of it so far?

11. Acuba403

It's an open beta, I don't know about other platforms but it's free on Xbox. It definitely has potential. I played it yesterday and enjoyed it, there are defiantly elements of battlefield and cod in it but as long as it doesn't base the whole game on these it could be a really good game

12. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I see, I'm of the relentlessly pessimistic mindset that the game will just be battlefield in new clothes, and it won't offer anything unique or interesting from any other military shooter.I think I'll try the beta later today, and hopefully get proven wrong

13. Lazuri

So, I've played it for nine hours now and I can really describe what I thought at this point.

Last time I posted in this thread, I had only played the drop zone mode and while I found it alright, it wasn't really any more than that. Decent game, played well, entertaining, showed clear influence from the originals etc.

Then I played walker assault and holy shit, I am in love.

This is the Star Wars experience I've always wanted; the feeling of being smack right in the middle of an armed conflict and it feels amazing. Sudden, cruel death is the name of the game here and even though I died left and right, I couldn't get mad because the whole experience was just so. Fucking. Cool.

You had infantry struggling back and forth to control uplinks supported by vehicles and turrets. You had fighters dogfighting in the skies above, vying for aerial dominance and occasionally going in for bombing runs on the ground before eventually being shot down and dropping out of the skies into the battle below. you have Darth Vader engaging a group of rebels on one side of the field and Luke skywalker leading the charge to one of the uplinks on the other.

Chaos everywhere and it is represented so well by the graphics and sound design.

I've seen a lot of people complaining about how casual and straight forwards it is, but that confuses me a lot. Since when were the original Battlefront games hardcore FPSes with a high skill ceiling? To me, this plays just like a modern version of Battlefront should.

Only issue I have with it is that it only covers one era, which is a bit disappointing. Hopefully the sequel will feature both or cover the Clone Wars.

14. Lazuri

Oh, and the spawns are fucking awful. Really hope they fix that before release.

15. Rainbows~Exist

I know right? I thought it was going to lag like hell but I can run it smoothly on all high settings even though my processor isn't up to par with the recommended specs.

I've found it really fun though! It does get a tad repetitive but that's understandable since there are only three maps and game modes on the beta.

16. Rainbows~Exist

I know right? I thought it was going to lag like hell but I can run it smoothly on all high settings even though my processor isn't up to par with the recommended specs.

I've found it really fun though! It does get a tad repetitive but that's understandable since there are only three maps and game modes on the beta.

17. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Been playing this on the Xbox and now I have just pre ordered it, its brilliant.

18. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Yeah, I was actually disappointed when I found out about that, especially since the older games had both. Say what you want about the prequels but I think they actually had some of the more interesting weapons and vehicles and worlds to explore in a video game. I suppose Battlefront is going all out on the nostalgia factor since we have the technology to do that now, but I liked how the PS2 games gave their own interpretation, of the battles and the worlds.

19. Lazuri

It wouldn't surprise me at all if both eras were previously planned, but disney wanted it out by the release of the new movie so they could only do one era and since it takes place in the imperial era, they went with that.

20. Yosia

I actually really dislike Star Wars: Battlefront Open Beta.

Reason 1: Balancing.
    This is not too much of an issue because you can buy blasters and equipment for each side which are decent, but from the start, the Rebel blaster is insanely better than the Stormtrooper one. So much in fact that I, and others, were just losing virtually every gun fight.

Reason 2: Laser guns.
    While I understand that it is Star Wars and that lasers will have no recoil whatsoever, it just makes it way too easy.

Reason 3: Weapon overheat.
    While I understand that this is a balancing technique which balances not having to reload, they just overheat a little bit too quick for my liking. It makes it impossible to take on more than 3 opponents head on realistically.

Reason 4: Spawns.
    The spawns in this game are absolutely awful, they even rival Call of Duty Free For All spawns. You can easily trap the opponents in their spawn base, and the buddy spawn system I'll elaborate on next.

Reason 5: Buddy System.
    I guess this was meant to improve team-play. Well nope. The buddy system honestly is just a way to spawn in the action, usually leading you to getting shot straight away because there is no delay if the person is fighting like there is in Battlefield. I believe for this to work then they should have had more of a squad system such as in Battlefield.

--------

The game does have a lot of potential, but right now, the only positives I take are that it looks stunning and plays smoothly. I can only see it being something to waste time on and not take seriously.