1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poets' Corner

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Sartoris, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For the last month or so I've been getting back into reading poetry, but don't really have anyone to talk about it with [whether specific writers, pieces or the subject in general.] Wanted to create a thread to find out who or what others enjoy reading, talk about shared favorites, learn of new works and/or even help to understand various works better.

For the moment, the only poet I'd consider a favorite is T. S. Eliot, though many others come close including W. B. Yeats and Wallace Stevens [the two I've focused on most recently.] However, with Stevens I keep going up-and-down because for all I admire about his writing, I don't always know how to approach them. If there are any other fans of his work, I'd greatly enjoy talking about him.

That said, here's a piece I came across yesterday and very much enjoyed:

An Old Man Asleep

The two worlds are asleep, are sleeping, now.
    A dumb sense possesses them in a kind of solemnity.

The self and the earth—your thoughts, your feelings,
    Your beliefs and disbeliefs, your whole peculiar plot;

The redness of your reddish chestnut trees,
    The river motion, the drowsy motion of the river R.

2. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love poetry and I wish I was more knowledgeable of it. The one you posted is quite nice, so thank you for sharing first of all.

I find and read a lot of pieces online, sometimes just ones that bloggers write, and not necessarily those who are "professional" poets, though who knows how to define that. Ones I've actually studied include Plath and Duffy; other than that I've read poems by Poe and Heaney before. I thoroughly enjoyed studying Plath's works, and Duffy's as well. I've also studied in my literature classes before other poems, but never many of the same poet as I did with Plath and Duffy.

Anyways I'd like to get to more educated on poetry and delve more into this area; I write in my own time but it's nothing "professional" either- by that I mean I've never submitted anything to be published, I just do it in my own time. Some poets I'm intending to look into more in the near future include Margaret Atwood (I've only ever read one of her novels), Richard Siken, and E.E. Cummings.

As for a favourite poem at this point in time...I mean I have a lot of favourites but one I'm just remembering right now is Blackberrying by Plath, which I studied a while ago:

Nobody in the lane, and nothing, nothing but blackberries,
    Blackberries on either side, though on the right mainly,
    A blackberry alley, going down in hooks, and a sea
    Somewhere at the end of it, heaving. Blackberries
    Big as the ball of my thumb, and dumb as eyes
    Ebon in the hedges, fat
    With blue-red juices. These they squander on my fingers.
    I had not asked for such a blood sisterhood; they must love me.
    They accommodate themselves to my milkbottle, flattening their sides.

Overhead go the choughs in black, cacophonous flocks—
    Bits of burnt paper wheeling in a blown sky.
    Theirs is the only voice, protesting, protesting.
    I do not think the sea will appear at all.
    The high, green meadows are glowing, as if lit from within.
    I come to one bush of berries so ripe it is a bush of flies,
    Hanging their bluegreen bellies and their wing panes in a Chinese screen.
    The honey-feast of the berries has stunned them; they believe in heaven.
    One more hook, and the berries and bushes end.

The only thing to come now is the sea.
    From between two hills a sudden wind funnels at me,
    Slapping its phantom laundry in my face.
    These hills are too green and sweet to have tasted salt.
    I follow the sheep path between them. A last hook brings me
    To the hills’ northern face, and the face is orange rock
    That looks out on nothing, nothing but a great space
    Of white and pewter lights, and a din like silversmiths
    Beating and beating at an intractable metal.

#2 Alder, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  3. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Should've clarified, for any who liked it, the poem I posted is one of Wallace Stevens'.

You're welcome, and am glad you enjoyed it. :slight_smile:

For some reason I have even more trouble reflecting when reading things online, so usually try to stick with books which means I don't read poetry as often as I'd like. But so many are available online I hope to change that. Poetry Foundation has been an especially wonderful resource. I'd still consider the bloggers you mention as professional poets, certainly isn't something one needs licensing for (Haha.) Sometimes to distinguish, whether it's more or less accurate, I think of poets as 'established' or 'non-established.'

Of those four I'm most familiar with Plath, though I haven't read her work in quite awhile. Loved listening to hear readings on YouTube as well, especially of 'Daddy.' Likewise thank you for posting 'Blackberrying.' Would be curious to know your impressions of it, it's fascinating how she describes nature in such a passionate, yet morbid? way.

Hopefully this thread can stimulate some conversation in that area, which was partly my intention. I'd like to appreciate meter schemes and verse forms more, in addition to better interpretive skills. I've written some here-and-there over the last several years, unfortunately in comes in waves. How long have you been writing and do you focus on poetry? If you explore any of them, feel free to share any poems. I liked Cummings from what I remember, though I never quite understood all the decisions behind his punctuation. :lol:

4. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh yes I understand about the online thing; it's much easier to reflect or even annotate on paper- which is something I've grown accustomed to having studied poetry for my courses before and enjoying doing so. I'd like to buy some poetry collections from a bookstore soon; I saw Ariel (Plath) there recently but I couldn't get it at the time. Poetry Foundation is a pretty great website, I've been on it a few times before. And yes, I enjoy reading poetry of all kind and I definitely think that some of the bloggers online writing them are really quite talented too- and established was the word I was looking for, so cheers.

I haven't listened to readings of her poems before, but now that you mention it might be a nice thing to look into. Daddy is quite a fascinating poem, unfortunately one that I actually didn't study. Funny because it's one of her more well known ones I think. Blackberrying was one that I studied a long time back, but I think one of the main ideas definitely has to do with morbidity and death. The descriptions of decay and isolation within this path of blackberries seem to suggest a lonely walk towards the end of life, and towards a desolation that is the sea, and the nothingness described in the last stanza. The blackberries themselves seem to have quite a morbid connotation as well, although they are pictured as full of life, there is quite an ominous feeling about them (what with the usage of words such as "nothing but ____, blood, flattening, so ripe it is a bush of flies), and the nature surrounding it. Anyhow, I could say more, but I'll save the essay :lol: Many of Plath's poems have an incredible emotion and sometimes darkness behind them that is interesting to look into.

As for Duffy, many of her poems, at least the ones I've studied, have a quite feminist message and standpoint. I love almost all of them that I've read- her play on words, sharp humour and wit, and narrative voice that plays on traditional ideas and characters is fascinating. Certainly has been worthwhile for me to have looked into them.

To be honest, in regards to literary techniques and poetic techniques I am not the most experienced- a little bit ironic since most of my course focused on critical analysis, but really I just enjoy interpreting them and enjoying them. Sometimes that takes more than just a brief read- some poems are just difficult to understand and take in at first, but become brilliant if you look into them more. I've been writing for years now- all sorts from stories to poems, but poetry has become more frequent more recently.

Anyhow I'll definitely find some time to get to the bookstore soon to find something I can buy and read. Any recommendations for poetry collections or anthologies? If I find something I feel is interesting or can spark a discussion I may post it on here.

#4 Alder, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  5. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Another Stevens piece:

'In the Carolinas'

The lilacs wither in the Carolinas.
    Already the butterflies flutter above the cabins.
    Already the new-born children interpret love
    In the voices of mothers.

Timeless mother,
    How is it that your aspic nipples
    For once vent honey?

The pine tree sweetens my body.
    The white iris beautifies me.

Exactly, except the annotation... cannot bring myself to write in books [Hyperventilates.] I've a copy of Ariel, though considering getting her collected poems someday. I browse PF occasionally to learn more about different poets, but more to read examples of those I'm not familiar with. Didn't realise it was connected with a magazine for the longest time and might set-up a subscription one day.

I'd definitely recommend them, she has an excellent voice and recites them very well. After my last post, actually looked her up and found part of an album's worth she recorded!:

[YOUTUBE]zOv9_ksYwAg[/YOUTUBE]

What I appreciated about 'Blackberrying' is that images of death, mortality are there but more ambiguous than some of her other poems. When she writes about paths, the sea it suggested a constant movement within the poem which I assumed referred to the hardships and struggles of life in general. Not only are her poems dark, but extremely lyrical in phrasing [even more apparent in her readings, not to beat the horse (Haha.)] Will try to keep Duffy in mind and look into her.

That's understandable, since we can still interpret poems without counting feet or going on about what forms they take. I'm happy enough to talk about this subject at length at all. Do you find that even after understanding most poems more there are still things which remain elusive? Sometimes I'm unsure how much to "interpret" and what to read as adding texture, color to the writing.

I'm reluctant to give suggestions for buying, library checkouts would be different, and I haven't read too many different collections or anthologies. That said I've liked The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson: Reader's Edition, Eliot's Collected Poems and Inventions of the March Hare [latter contains early work which, for all it's roughness, I find very interesting,] Library of America's Collected Poetry & Prose of Wallace Stevens and Complete Poetry & Selected Letters of Hart Crane.

6. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This poem is quite nice as well- I like the imagery and the word play within the usage of nature.

Ah I can't bring myself to do that either, that's why if I want to annotate I photocopy or just print out a copy and write on that. I rarely write in the actual book, though if I do it's all or nothing :lol:

I didn't know that PF has a magazine either! Seems like a nice thing to look into. It's quite a big site and I believe they have an app as well? Maybe that is something worth getting.

Thanks for sharing! I'll bookmark it for later, will be a nice change to listen to poetry rather than read it. Might open up some new ways of enjoying it and interpreting it.

Yes the subtle way she incorporates darker ideas is something I've always admired. There are some quite negative words and connotations within her description of the blackberries and the path, and her journey towards the end- and I agree, the sea's movement- that suggest hardship within life and death. Duffy is pretty great, but sometimes it takes a second or third reading to see what she's getting at- A World's Wife is a fairly decent anthology to start with. In it she subverts many traditional tales and characters to give women the voice- indeed many of the characters/personas she's writing from, in first person, are the wives of famous men throughout history. Penelope is a personal favourite of mine.

I used to be terrible at interpreting anything technical in poems, and whilst it didn't hinder me from enjoying them, I've found that analyzing them has definitely opened up some pathways of interpretation for me which has encouraged me to enjoy them even more. I'm happy to always look into a poem, even though in the beginning it can be quite daunting- especially if there's quite abstract language and erratic structure. Of course, I agree that even after understanding a poem to its "fullest" there will always remain ideas within it that we either don't quite grasp, or is still hidden beneath it. The beauty of interpretation is it can be quite subjective, which leads to often a more personal way of appreciating poetry. We may never know the full intent of the original poet, but I think I quite enjoy the elusive mystery sometimes. There's always the "is that even the original idea they were trying to convey, or are we all off by a dozen miles?" thought.

That's alright, I can definitely look into the library as well. Maybe I'll just buy them if I have read them through and thoroughly enjoyed it. Cheers for the recommendations, I'll see if I can get to the library shelves soon.

Anyways I think I'm taking up such a bulk of the discussion here (@Sartoris, if you'd like us to move this into wall message chat, let me know (*hug*)), others can feel free to chip in or just paste poems they've enjoyed.

7. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Anyways, here are also two that I think are quite nice and in my opinion not too hard to read, if anyone is interested.

Love And Friendship - by Emily Jane Brontë
    Love is like the wild rose-briar,
    Friendship like the holly-tree --
    The holly is dark when the rose-briar blooms
    But which will bloom most contantly?
    The wild-rose briar is sweet in the spring,
    Its summer blossoms scent the air;
    Yet wait till winter comes again
    And who will call the wild-briar fair?
    Then scorn the silly rose-wreath now
    And deck thee with the holly's sheen,
    That when December blights thy brow
    He may still leave thy garland green.

And a longer one by Atwood-

A Sad Child

You're sad because you're sad.
    It's psychic. It's the age. It's chemical.
    Go see a shrink or take a pill,
    or hug your sadness like an eyeless doll
    you need to sleep.

Well, all children are sad
    but some get over it.
    Count your blessings. Better than that,
    buy a hat. Buy a coat or pet.
    Take up dancing to forget.

Forget what?
    Your sadness, your shadow,
    whatever it was that was done to you
    the day of the lawn party
    when you came inside flushed with the sun,
    your mouth sulky with sugar,
    in your new dress with the ribbon
    and the ice-cream smear,
    and said to yourself in the bathroom,
    I am not the favorite child.

My darling, when it comes
    right down to it
    and the light fails and the fog rolls in
    and you're trapped in your overturned body
    under a blanket or burning car,

and the red flame is seeping out of you
    and igniting the tarmac beside your head
    or else the floor, or else the pillow,
    none of us is;
    or else we all are.

8. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    'In the Carolinas' has stuck with me since I first came across it, admittedly I've only grasped some of it. What do you see as word play within the poem? Assuming the children refers to the butterflies [or insect-life in general,] flowers and/or both. Have wondered whether "aspic nipples" refers to a flower or pine tree.

Gooooood. :badgrin: If I ever want to write notes about a poem, I might want to photocopy as well or simply jot down thoughts in a journal of some sort. Yeah, apparently the site is an extension of Poetry magazine, which I'd heard of before but didn't realise the two were connected! Saw a copy recently and while relatively small, it's inexpensive for a magazine, under $4 USD. Might look into the app once I've a... more modern phone.

No problem, I hope you enjoy the readings though as a Plath admirer I imagine you will. :slight_smile: Love listening to poets read their own work, always try to find recordings if I can and have found quite a few.

Oh, I meant movement within the poem itself, not strictly the sea [unfortunately my writing's a little sloppy at times...,] which gave me the sense of somebody walking along these paths, by the sea and picking blackberries along the way. "but sometimes it takes a second or third reading to see what she's getting at" Ah, so Duffy's one of those, eh? :wink: Just teasing, but I appreciate what you're saying. Will make a note of A World's Wife, thanks! For some reason it sounds like a collection, that I haven't yet read, by Sexton called Transformations where she reinterprets fairy tales.

I can definitely imagine that it would. From lack of experience, I've often struggled with analyzing poems, partly because I'd prefer to share and compare impressions with other people than simply depend upon myself. It's far more intimidating, for some reason. Especially difficult because there seem to be as many ways to read, interpret a poem as there are types of poems, forms, styles! :confused: As though we need to adapt ourselves to each writer, if not each work. I believe it's that elusive mystery which appeals to me most about poetry.

No, it's great, I want there to be extensive discussion and hope others will feel free to join in, though am always open to chatting via Wall Messages. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 22nd Nov 2015 at 09:42 AM ----------

Another new one:

The Scholars by W. B. Yeats

Bald heads forgetful of their sins,
    Old, learned, respectable bald heads
    Edit and annotate the lines
    That young men, tossing on their beds,
    Rhymed out in love's despair
    To flatter beauty's ignorant ear.

They'll cough in the ink to the world's end;
    Wear out the carpet with their shoes
    Earning respect; have no strange friend;
    If they have sinned nobody knows.
    Lord, what would they say
    Should their Catullus walk that way?

I love Brontë's directness, especially compared with most English Romantic poetry, putting up the similes in the beginning so she can only focus on the imagery of rose-briar and holly. The line which stands out to me the most is, "The holly is dark when the rose-briar blooms" and curious what she's suggesting by it. Do we take friendships for granted when in love with somebody or does it simply pale in comparison to, what may be, those temporary feelings of the latter?

Atwood's is also interesting, assuming the speaker is the child's parent, I feel a very strong ambivalence in the writing. Dismissive and flippant, but still personal as one would expect in such a close relationship. As a loose impression, it seems that the speaker may be open to the possibility of accepting some responsibility for the child's unhappiness after suggesting other things.

9. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Rereading it I feel like word play isn't exactly the right term...I'd say maybe the imagery or the connotations of the nature within it. The parallel between human life, the end and the birth, and the purity/innocence and growth within childhood, and nature, is something that initially stood out to me, though I may be wrong.
    If you look at the way nature is depicted here, first the lilacs are said to wither, which obviously connotes death and the end of something, but rapidly after that the fluttering of the butterflies, the mention of new-born children- the way the movement of life and new life is integrated in right after the depiction of death of nature. "Timeless mother"- this is just a really random thought, but perhaps a reference to mother nature, and the aspic nipples/vent honey- once again I see a reference to motherhood and life. The "pine tree sweetens" and "white iris beautifies"- he could be referencing the purity of nature and the innocence of birth and childhood, but I suppose in a way he could also be exploring the idea of the allure of nature and its beauty within that. I don't know, just throwing some thoughts out there.

Sometimes I'm tentative of my first few readings of a poem, because I have been drastically wrong in interpreting poems before (though it's an arguable idea if there is ever even a wrong interpretation of a poem). You might want to read Mushrooms by Plath- a much younger me was so confused in reading it, but after someone told me what it was initially about, only then was everything so much clearer.

Now that I remember more clearly, I don't think the app was PF, I think it was of another poetry website- it might've been Poem Hunter. Anyways, the app was orange, if my memory is correct (which it sometimes is not :lol:slight_smile:

I agree, I think hearing poets read their own works really adds a dimension to it, and they have full control over the emphasis and delivery, which can sometimes be slightly skewered by our own minds and own internal voices when reading it. It's just really nice hearing them express their poem, even though at the end of the day a poem in itself a written piece.

Wait, I made a drastic mistake :bang: It's called The World's Wife, instead of A, which I'm internally berating myself for because I've read it so many times and I got the title wrong, what?? Anyways I'll forgive myself in my exhausted slip up. But yes, the collection sounds a lot like Transformations. In the anthology Duffy writes from the perspective of the wives of many famous men, and takes those characters from traditional stories, historical men, and Biblical tales. She then completely reinterprets and changes the perspective of the initial story and dynamic. Some of the titles are Mrs Lazarus, Penelope (Odysseus' wife), and Salome (from the Bible).

I don't have much to add on this because I wholeheartedly agree. Sharing interpretations and seeing the different perspectives on a singular piece can be eye opening. I usually try to get my own interpretation down first, no matter how wrong I think it might be, that way I have a solid first approach from my own perspective before I see how others have seen it, and in that way there's an appreciation of the poem from many angles and in many ways.

First reading reminds me of rows and rows of monks, copying texts by hand- for some reason. It's the first image that this conjures up for me. Bald heads is mentioned twice, though in this context I think it's an image of respect and wisdom rather than something negative? The way they're described to meticulously edit/annotate/muddle through the lines contrasts very very nicely with the image right afterwards of men dramatically rhyming out poems to court a partner. I really like how it's written out. That's the part that stands out initially for me.

I think that by "the holly is dark when the rose-briar blooms," is that we can often overlook and forget friendship when we're in that intense emotional experience with love, and in that friendship can often be pushed into the dark. Yet the "But which will bloom more constantly?" suggests that we cannot depend on the rose-briar which is periodic and unpredictable, but rather in friendship, which is more constant. She describes how the rose-briar dies in the winter, and in the winter nobody will call it fair- so the dark times of love and heartbreak are inevitable as well, and that love is inconsistent and not as present as friendship. Maybe that's one way to look at it.

I quite enjoy Atwood's dismissive and almost biting attitude in the poem, even if it's not the kindest of words. She seems to see sadness not as something heavy or significant, but takes that attitude of someone who simply goes "get over it." The shorter, blunt lines in the first stanza emphasise this well, yet when we get to the third, there are fewer full stops and more commas, which gives the poem a more liberated and gentle pace, suggesting a change in attitude to a more sympathetic one. I personally like this part:

and the red flame is seeping out of you
    and igniting the tarmac beside your head
    or else the floor, or else the pillow,
    none of us is;
    or else we all are.

Is the red flame the sadness? I wonder if she's seeing that the intensity of the emotion impacts everything else, and that either nobody is really sad, or everyone is. Hmm. Just my reading of it.

Anyhow if there are any other poems to chip in go ahead. I'll post if I find anything new that's interesting. Maybe it can just be throwing ideas or suggestions around, who knows :lol:

#9 Alder, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  10. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Will respond at length later, but wanted to contribute another poem before leaving for the morning:

The Mad Scene by James Merrill

Again last night I dreamed the dream called Laundry.
    In it, the sheets and towels of a life we were going to share,
    The milk-stiff bibs, the shroud, each rag to be ever
    Trampled or soiled, bled on or groped for blindly,
    Came swooning out of an enormous willow hamper
    Onto moon-marbly boards. We had just met. I watched
    From outer darkness. I had dressed myself in clothes
    Of a new fiber that never stains or wrinkles, never
    Wears thin. The opera house sparkled with tiers
    And tiers of eyes, like mine enlarged by belladonna,
    Trained inward. There I saw the cloud-clot, gust by gust,
    Form, and the lightning bite, and the roan mane unloosen.
    Fingers were running in panic over the flute's nine gates.
    Why did I flinch? I loved you. And in the downpour laughed
    To see us wrung white, gnarled together, one
    Topmost mordent of wisteria,
    As the lean tree burst into grief.

Just read this yesterday evening and immediately loved it, particularly the vaguely prose-ish tone. Is it meant to be directed at another person, or simply the fantasy of a relationship and sharing experiences with someone else? The speaker seems to compare their feelings, possibly actions, as a stage performance; exaggerated, intense.

11. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I understood what you meant. Despite the opening line, for some reason the poem didn't suggest death to me. Perhaps from a greater focus on the cycle of life than explicitly a beginning or end, though I found the imagery of birth more prominent. Your interpreting it as a mingling of literal motherhood and mother nature sounds very likely, especially if this is the sort of poem that is better understood in an associative way [dealing with comparisons/contrasts like you mentioned.] Especially because Stevens tends to be the sort of writer interested in the relationship between people, the self and surroundings.

Usually I'm tentative from fear of being wrong, especially with poems that are very discursive in subject, tone, imagery. But I suppose there's no reason to assume one's interpretation is wrong if it can be justified in some way. Will look up 'Mushrooms' at some point and get back to you, I'd like to get back to Plath and appreciate her work even better than I originally have.

Yes, those differences can make recordings surprising to listen to, even just hearing what they sound like at all. Also strange because, while many [if not most] poems are created with being spoken in mind, hearing something read versus reading it are such different experiences. To the point where I've felt like I haven't really experienced a poem until I've read it instead of just listening.

What?! You mixed up definite articles!? For shame... :eusa_naug Kidding aside, it's not a crisis, "World's Wife" and Duffy's name would be enough to find it easily. :lol: In that case, it might interest me even more than Transformations since I love history. Does it largely or solely focus on ancient times?

Right, because we need something to base or thoughts and questions on. Maybe not even a full interpretation, but noting what stands out to us in terms of a poem's mood, perspective, subject-matter, style of writing, etc. Did it take awhile to interpret poems, however 'rightly' or 'wrongly?'

It didn't seem that the speaker was respectful of scholars, "bald heads" probably the least harsh thing said about them, imo. His sense of rhyme and rhythm in the poem I think gives a sense of how these scholars nit-pick, squabble and obsess over little details; the suggestion that either they haven't "sinned" or we simply don't know it suggesting they are too removed from life, from passion? Which, if they are meant to be monks, would give a more interesting angle....

There's an instance of my reading far too literally into a word....[Facepalm.] However, I understand the similes much better now and it makes the poem even more impressive. Appropriately romantically bleak for such a writer (Haha.)

Exactly, her speaker's attitude perfectly captures the tone of a dismissive parent. She may as well be saying, "Oh, you're overreacting... " I'm not sure whether I interpret the "red flame" as sadness instead of blood or life itself. Similarly I don't know how to read the final four lines, exactly. Is the speaker suggesting the floor, pillow, nobody or everybody as being there beside them [comfort, support] or that any of these things may "ignite the tarmac?"

12. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's true, the fear of going utterly off tangent is sometimes still there, even when I have more confidence in my analysis or interpretation. I suppose though like you said, as long as you can evidence it and can justify your reasoning, it's hard to exactly interpret a piece of work completely wrong. Despite it being a very analytical thing, it is also entirely subjective and personal. Yes if you have time please do look into Mushrooms. I'm curious how others initially interpret it because I was lost when I first read into it.

It focuses very much on traditional stories and older times- though not all non fictional, she also uses stories from mythology and so forth. However she puts a modern twist on them, so it's really a blend of traditional and modern, and Duffy is very good at playing with words and ideas- taking something and tackling it from another viewpoint and perspective entirely.
    To fully appreciate some of the poems in The World's Wife (See- got it right this time :lol:slight_smile: I'd suggest doing some background research on what story/tale/historical figures each poem is based on. The context can help a lot, though you can definitely go into it quite blindly as well, but it might not make as much sense.

There's always a need for a foundational start point when it comes to intrepretation. A few readings through, finding the fundamentals before building on it. Like most things, it needs a backbone first. In terms of time for each poem, it could take a dozen minutes to hours, if I'm approaching it by myself, and with nobody to discuss it with. I've spent quite a few years learning and reading, and I think it helps- though experience isn't a pre-requisite, it does open up different perspectives and gives you new ways to look at what you see. And I don't exactly have a lot of experience either; I like doing all this but I'm far from being a professional in any way.

I think that's a good way of looking at it as well, actually. Didn't quite pick up on this perspective immediately, I suppose the speaker could very well have been reprimanding the tediousness and lack of spirit of the scholars and how they pick at the words of others, rather than having their own passion. This is why discussion is always useful :lol:

Honestly I'm not sure how to quite read it either. At first I believed that the red flame is sadness, an interesting way of representing it because sadness is so often traditionally represented in blues and grays, when it comes to colour. It could be referring to how the sadness is seeping into and destroying all comfort (the pillow, the bed, the floor/solid ground).

Anyways will respond to The Mad Scene in another post. If anyone has anything to add to what I said here feel free, or else the discussion can carry onto the next poem, however it goes. Oh and thanks for creating this thread by the way. I feel like the wall of text might be a bit intimidating, but adding new poems to discuss means that anyone can chip in anytime!

---------- Post added 24th Nov 2015 at 09:38 AM ----------

Oh I love it as well, thank you for sharing. I'm quite peeved at my range of vocabulary sometimes because it's not big enough to understand all the words here, but the general feeling I'm getting is that the speaker is addressing a fantasy of a relationship, perhaps a fulfilling daydream in substitute of a real thing. I'm getting, for some reason, quite the gist of loneliness here, though that's perhaps just my own reading. It's the exaggeration of someone who is trying to create a fantasy bigger than life- there's a certain romanticized desperation to it I think. The first line "Again last night I dreamed the dream called Laundry" seems to suggest that it is indeed in the speaker's mind.

The prose-like structure fits well into the telling of this story. The shorter lines "We had just met" and "I loved you," are powerful and emotional, possibly even moreso if we take it from the perspective that they are making this story up inside their heads, or forseeing something that could have been. There is quite a dramatic tone to it. Quite heartbreaking as well I feel: "the sheets and towels of a life we were going to share;" this line sticks out to me because it has a very domestic tone. Sheets, a connotation towards the bedroom, and towels, towards the bathroom, both quite intimate and important in and of a close relationship. I like how everything in this seems to refer back to the idea of laundry- in capitals in the first line like it's the title of a story. How the rags and cloths symbolic of this relationship, and its destruction (trampled/soiled/bled/groped), the clothes that never stain or wrinkle (perhaps an idealistic fantasy that represents a relationship?), and near the end "wrung white, gnarled together," like clothes in a washing machine.

Anyways there's quite a lot of strong emotion, movement and pace towards this. Although initially I thought it could be a fantasy inside someone's mind, born out of loneliness or just a daydream, it might be someone thinking back on a relationship that could have been.

13. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Suppose that one just gains confidence in their interpretations through practice, then. I'll definitely let you know once I've read 'Mushrooms' and may even post it here as well. The World's Wife might even be a good aid in understanding classical/mythological references in other poems. And I need to do more research on such things, since allusions are constantly appearing in poetry regardless of who writes or when they're written....

As you've said before, I've nothing to add since I agree with everything (Haha.) Outside of classes, have there been opportunities to compare interpretations with other people? Moving onto 'The Scholars' talk, it's useful if only because contemplating something on my own always feels too vague. In any case, I like how Yeats' speaker appears critical of scholars but does so in a humorous way. When he writes, "Lord, what would they say / Should their Catullus walk that way?" I can instantly picture the sort of person he's referring to and imagine someone taking their idols so seriously they're shocked at any assumed disrespect toward them.

Referring to Atwood's poem, that's why I didn't read it as sadness, since neither "red" or "flame" are terms I associate with it. They both suggested intensity, passion, furor. But she provides a twist in describing it as "seeping" out of the addressed. You're welcome, though I hope the wall of text isn't intimidating! :eek: I hope that plenty will enjoy and get something out of this thread.

If it helps, I'm constantly peeved with my vocabulary too... speaking of which, I'd thought of putting links into future poems for words, phrases, allusions anyone may not know off the top of their head. Anyway, it does seem a fantasy, whether daydreaming or a missed opportunity as I believe you imply further on. Is the presence of "Laundry" in so many crucial areas of life and relationships the reason he develops this as his primary imagery?

And 'The Mad Scene's structure, tone suits the rush of details and imagery, moving from one to the next; as well as its disjointedness, like someone scrambling through their thoughts. I agree, the shorter lines are powerful. Even though they don't show it in the punctuation, it's almost like a conceptual pause? The speaker suddenly stops contemplating and addresses their direct feelings, the first apprehension? and the latter attachment. I think this poem may focus on a missed opportunity, because of lines like, "I had dressed myself in clothes / Of a new fiber that never stains or wrinkles, never / Wears thin" suggesting a composed, unflappable personality which gives over to, "There I saw the cloud-clot, gust by gust, / Form, and the lightning bite, and the roan mane unloosen. / Fingers were running in panic over the flute's nine gates. / Why did I flinch? I loved you." Perhaps an image of fear of confessing or displaying love and affection?

14. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I suppose so- like with many things, confidence comes about with experience, though that no means disqualifies one to approach something they have never done before. Sometimes I find that it might be even more useful- after all, a fresh, blank slate, with no previous experience or knowledge, can also give a refreshing and unique perspective. It's a balance between building up that confidence and knowledge, and not feeling overwhelmed by names of techniques and preconceptions and all that.

Interpreting poems in isolation is interesting, but I sometimes am left wondering if I'm going off on an entirely wrong direction (though like we mentioned, is there really a wrong way to read something), or I'm just curious how other people would see it. If you search online there tends to be a general opinion that is "right," and with others you may get a wider range of interpretations. Especially when it comes to poems that are very widely studied, there is generally one interpretation that is seen as correct- whether it be because it's widely agreed on, or it was the poet's original intent- but I don't think the reader's interpretation needs to match the poet's to be completely right. It's up in the air of interpretation and subjectivity as is many other things.
    The Scholars is quite an interesting poem and I love that you shared it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I simultaneously agree with your reading of it and also have my own original reading too, so a nicely rounded way of looking at it.

Haha this thread contains quite a few words, but if not contribute then I hope people still enjoy reading ^^ Nothing wrong with that either.

Oh I think that's a great idea to put together maybe some reference links. I feel like I'm always lacking in terms of vocabulary when it comes to poetry, there's a lot to remember, what with rhyme schemes and form and literary analytical terms.

I think laundry is an excellent theme in that poem. It's not something that I think one might think is an obvious choice of theme- but now that you mention it, the presence of laundry in so many aspects of life adds to the idea expressed in the poem- a sense of consistency and domesticity that is lacking. It's a good representation of a relationship, or in this case, the lack of one.
    The frantic pace of the poem really does add to the emotion, I sense the speaker's almost desperate reminiscence or loneliness in a way. A missed opportunity always has that bittersweet nostalgia that is portrayed quite well. The transition between "never stains or wrinkles"- perhaps also in reference to the poet's pristine, "good" life before, over to "roan mane unloosen, running in panic, flinch" shows all this nicely. There is a shaky vulnerability to it.

Anyways nice chat as always, and this thread will always be open to new interesting poems, and I'll post ones I find that catch my eye in the future too.

15. UnendingVoid

I like a lot of W.H Auden's poems and obviously Edgar Allen Poe
    I'm more into the macabre so if you could recommend me some stuff that'd be awesome and much appreciated

16. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know that much about macabre poems or poetry apart from having read some of E.A.P.'s works before, but I'll see about looking into that.

As for recommendations, Poems of the Fantastic (first link that comes up if you search it on Google) is a site pretty full of fantastic and macabre poets and poems. Hopefully you might find something you like. If there's anything interesting feel free to share (*hug*)

17. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I understand what you mean about experience. It's something which develops, rather than a per-requisite. It can be refreshing, interpretation as much as creation involves a good degree of imagination, it's important to maintain it as confidence and knowledge develop. To not be overwhelmed, as you said. Likewise, but reading in isolation also becomes dull afterawhile, not having anyone to share pieces we're passionate as much as uncertain about. I believe the general opinion of what's "right" depends on what's inherent in the poem, than some quality which is apparent only to those 'in the know.' And plenty of them are vague enough to question what's inherent in the first place at all!

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. :slight_smile: Wanted to post a sample of Yeats' writing and wanted to find a good, short one to start with. Might post more in the near future. Definitely, and assume quite a few people have read it so far going by the view count.

Our vocabulary's are constantly growing, though, and learning new words is very enjoyable so long as we're not overwhelmed by them. Occasionally I've read poems where it seemed there was an unfamiliar or strange word every other line... :confused: As you mentioned before, not understanding rhyme schemes doesn't prevent appreciation of a poem, appreciating them [whether now or later] only adds to it. What sort of analytical terms?

All the more considering that 'laundry' can be spoken of in terms of being kept clean or dirtying it, kept private or exposed perhaps not unlike a person. Yes, and a desire for domesticity underscores the speaker's thoughts and desires, in my opinion. What I also admire is that this reminiscing borders on obsessive, only barely kept in check; comparing their sensations to an operatic performance suggests a deep self-awareness.

Yes, please continue to share any which you come across or examples of anyone you admire. Though no pressure to do so, of course. :wink:

---------- Post added 25th Nov 2015 at 03:26 PM ----------

I've read, or heard, a few Auden pieces but haven't seriously taken him up yet.

For macabre, I don't know too many to suggest. You could try some of Stephen Crane's poems [might look for an example to post in the future,] or some of the French Symbolists like Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Paul Verlaine who were known for strange, personal imagery.

18. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I got to dash so I'll put together a proper reply when I can, but meanwhile here's one by Atwood that caught my eye, thoughts? (*hug*)

Morning in the Burned House- Margaret Atwood
    In the burned house I am eating breakfast.
    You understand: there is no house, there is no breakfast,
    yet here I am.

The spoon which was melted scrapes against
    the bowl which was melted also.
    No one else is around.

Where have they gone to, brother and sister,
    mother and father? Off along the shore,
    perhaps. Their clothes are still on the hangers,

their dishes piled beside the sink,
    which is beside the woodstove
    with its grate and sooty kettle,

every detail clear,
    tin cup and rippled mirror.
    The day is bright and songless,

the lake is blue, the forest watchful.
    In the east a bank of cloud
    rises up silently like dark bread.

I can see the swirls in the oilcloth,
    I can see the flaws in the glass,
    those flares where the sun hits them.

I can’t see my own arms and legs
    or know if this is a trap or blessing,
    finding myself back here, where everything

in this house has long been over,
    kettle and mirror, spoon and bowl,
    including my own body,

including the body I had then,
    including the body I have now
    as I sit at this morning table, alone and happy,

bare child’s feet on the scorched floorboards
    (I can almost see)
    in my burning clothes, the thin green shorts

and grubby yellow T-shirt
    holding my cindery, non-existent,
    radiant flesh. Incandescent.

#18 Alder, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  19. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^ Will have to go over this more thoroughly and reply at length later. :slight_smile:

20. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is there anyone who's read Fernando Pessoa by chance? Have been learning about his work recently and am extremely interested.

Having looked this over again, my immediate impressions are that it also suggests domesticity, though unlike 'The Mad Scene' it's not idealising but mournful. There's a great sense of loss and isolation, as well as a transformation brought about through some trauma? The other striking thing is that most of the poem suggests the past and/or timelessness, but when "the thin green shorts / and grubby yellow T-shirt" pop-up it takes a sudden left turn into being contemporary.