1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everyone assumes im straight - Do I correct them?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Soundofmusic, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi!

So, Ive slowly been telling more and more people that Im not straight - mostly because I feel like that will open doors for me to meet girls. Jurys out on whether I like men but I know I like women and I want to explore that. However, new people I meet or people I work with ALWAYS assume Im straight - I guess because im a very femenine girl? I dont feel the need to always tell people I like girls but sometimes its super bothersome when people refer to me being with just men. For instance, the other day I was saying I dont cook and a few girls from work were saying that Im going to need to find myself a man that cooks or Ill have to learn how to cook for my husband when I find one (ugh).

Have any of you had to deal with this and if so, how do you go about it? I think it would be super annoying to be coming out to everyone when the topic comes up - esoecially at this stage - but I also dont want to perpetuate the idea that Im straight.

2. bidemi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah you should correct them,if for example you were a christian and everyone assumed you were a Muslim,won't you correct them.
    To me,things as important as sexuality should not be falsely assumed,we should be proud of who we are.so you better correct them.

I also can't cook like you,the annoying people here also say I better learn how to

3. Nancy1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it depends on how close you are to them, and what level of misunderstanding about yourself is comfortable to you. Your family and friends probably should be corrected, if you want to correct the dry cleaner that's fine too....but if you do not care what the dry cleaner, cashier, or co-workers think let them think whatever.

If you want to expand their minds and help others to be comfortably out and to dispel heteronormative assumptions correct everyone.

4. Really

In a situation like you described, I'd comfortably reply, "Yeah. That's not happening." It can either mean I'm not going to learn to cook or I'm not getting a husband. Either way, it might make them think twice about projecting these stereotypes onto you.

If anyone pursues it, you can decide how forthcoming you want to be.

5. Sunrays

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can relate. I think it comes down to how happy you are to continually come out to everyone. Personally i hate it.

Thinking about it I usually go for ambiguity actually. I never actually lie to people when they refer to partners.

#5 Sunrays, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  6. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this very much depends on how much your orientation being clear matters to your sense of identity. Me for example, it matters, but I try to pick my battles. I would correct with humour, like maybe saying, sure or maybe I'll need to cook for the lady I end up with. :slight_smile:

It does seem like it bothers you. Maybe it would feel good to you to mention things off hand outside of those conversations. Like mentioning female celebrity crushes or something casual of that nature.

7. tgOlivia

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I think the important thing is whatever makes you happiest. I don't think there is a right answer, I think the real question is; "Is the discomfort/awkwardness/annoyance of telling people more or less uncomfortable than not correcting people."

Whatever makes you, personally, most comfortable is the best course of action.

8. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's entirely up to you how you express your sexuality. If a passing stranger makes a comment suggesting I like women, then I just let it pass because I'm not likely to interact with that person ever again. With people I am going to be in constant contact with, i will correct them and say I don't like girls. If they are going to have some sort of relationship with me, whether as friend or colleague, then they need to know that I'm gay. But I don't need to explain myself to every random stranger who assumes I like women. They can assume whatever they want about me.

9. pestjohnbuda

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think Nice Dave has a really good way of putting it. I would say that you should tell someone if you want them to know because it can be helpful for your relationship with them or just because you want to be honest to them. It is all your choice and I would recommend to tell someone if you feel comfortable, and in no part feel obliged to tell everyone at work or school the first day you meet them. If you want to tell everyone, thats perfectly fine of course :slight_smile:

10. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's up to you. Use your best judgment on a case by case basis. It makes sense to inform people you are going to be spending time with. Finding the window would be tricky, I don't think you would want to just blurt it out at a staff meeting. But, slipping it in during a casual conversation with your colleagues might work.

11. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you all for such great advice! I think Ill just continue to be ambiguous so as to not lie and As I get more comfortable Ill casually drop it into conversation. Youre all great! Thanks!

12. Gay1234

It is entirely up to you but if you want to just correct them and they shouldn't get it wrong the next time. Well I can't say do or don't because it's your own choice. Good Luck

13. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just had another situation where I could have said something but I was just so afraid. The barista at work, who loves me, asked me out to dinner and said: its ok because Im a gay man and youre a single lady. You dont have a boyfriend, right?

It was the perfect opportunity to say something but i chickened out. Does it get easier? Idk what im so afraid of

14. ANerdWhoCares

Perhaps it would help if you had a plan of what exactly you'd say if the time revealed itself. I'll give an example from my experience:

I'm at my 16th birthday party. Present at the party are my mom, dad, step-mom, older cousin, younger brother, and my co-worker (also 16) at my restaurant job (she and I both do hosting.) We're close friends, and before I came out to my parents, they hired her (family run restaurant) partially trying to play matchmaker. :lol: So about halfway into the party, Kyle (younger brother, fake name) brings up the topic of Rita's (co worker, also fake name) age. When he finds out we're the same age, he says to me "So... She's 16, you're 16, why don't you... ya know..." Everyone at the table but him knows that I'm gay, so I decide to make a joke about it. "Unfortunately Kyle, she's missing one defining feature..." The table, excluding Kyle, break out laughing. Kyle ponders my joke for a second, and finally says "I knew it," and grins at me. Later he questioned me why I didn't tell him I was gay. Obvious answer: at 7 years old I didn't think he'd understand. (Kids these days, they're surprisingly more educated than we think :lol: ).

If a 7 year old can come to terms with having a gay older brother, I'm sure it'll be no sweat at all telling your co-worker how you prefer women. When all else fails, make it fun, it'll soften the blows that may or may not land when you tell people. :slight_smile:

15. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thats great advice!! Thank you!

I corrected someone today in fhe afternoon. I was talking about a date i have tomorrow with someone at work and another girl walked by and asked where i was meeting HIM and I said: its a she.

She was shocked and said she never expected it but then went on as if nothing happened. I really shouldnt be so scared. It felt good but i still get nervous.

16. ilovecats

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heterosexism sucks doesn't it? I get it all the time too. I was telling a student that I work with that I just got engaged and she was all, "Oh congrats! What's his name?" To which a different student replied, "It's not a he it's a she!" Haha. I found the whole situation pretty amusing, but I live in a very accepting community and work at a very accepting school. I've also been out for almost five years.

I come out to people that I want to know. I don't wear my sexuality on my sleeve and I'm not defined by it either. That being said, the longer I've been out the easier it has become to constantly come out. I think that the more experiences you have where you come out and people don't really care if you're gay or straight will help a lot too.

Another one of my more memorable times coming out was with a coworker. I was telling some random story about my girlfriend, and apparantly it was the first time she's heard me talk about my girlfriend. She stopped me mid sentence and was all "wait, like, girlfriend girlfriend?" and I said yeah. She pondered, smiled, and we moved on. Most people don't bat an eye when I tell them.

Oh! One more. I was student teaching and casually mentioned my girlfriend to my cooperating teacher. I didn't know it at the time, but she was pretty surprised. She said she went home and started texting one of her teacher friends who is also a lesbian to ask for advice. Her friend was like "well how does that change anything?" and then she realized that it doesn't. I'm always a little amused when I surprise people that I'm a lesbian.

17. CapColors

I tried wearing a bi bracelet because I want to BE out but not COME out.

Unfortunately, no one has noticed, as far as I can tell.

18. guitar

Just do what I do and wear a pride bracelet. People will eventually catch on :wink:

19. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha idk if anyone in my community would know what those bracelets are but its worth a try! Thanks everyone!