1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Reports: Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia Dies

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BryanM, Feb 13, 2016.

1. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Everyone's waiting for Ginsburg to kick the bucket, but she just keeps living and living. :slight_smile:

2. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've never heard of this guy, I'm something of a conspiracy nut in that I don't think the government as we're shown is the government at work. I truly believe it's all run by lizard people (archons, look it up) and that they've been in control of the world since at least the moon landing when Neil Armstrong discovered the alien structure and got cut off by mission control.

What we're dealing with here is the death of a "sockpuppet," he was merely controlled by the forces that be, vague as they are, to create the illusion of order amidst the chaos that is the 'true' government. He may have even believed in his own ideals, but that still doesn't make him any less of a puppet to the archons. It's just like how I don't think the president of the USA is the 'real' president, just a representative of the archons' hierarchy.

You can call me nuts but when you look at the United States government or the UN, it makes sense.

3. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It still does not make it right! Anyways my boyfriend died on February 19th last year so I am not gonna be sorry for trying to have compassion for every human life even of those I disagree with.

#23 dano218, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  4. Oh Lilac

I don't want to celebrate his death... May he rest in peace... But he was not a good person nor was he a humanitarian. Someone like that did not deserve to be called a Justice.

5. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Typical republican party. Gridlocking the supreme court and refusing to appoint a successor. I hope this HURTS them in the general election. Whoever gets the dem nominee, needs to push people to understand that people disagree with Obama just for the sake of disagreeing.

6. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not going to celebrate anyone's death or dance on their grave, but I am also not going to pretend I'm sad he's no longer on the bench. I am glad for that, and hope he has a much better successor. The fact that people stay on the Supreme Court for so long is really abhorrent. No political position should be for life. Ever.

7. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to his family for their lose.

But the after math makes it clear this will only farther the downfall of the US government.

8. GayIsOk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Actually, it doesn't take that long. Usually less than a month. It's imperative that a justice gets placed because the court can't function properly without it. Obama will also fight the Senate by saying it's in the best interests of the people and he's right.

9. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Uh, when people say it takes that short of time, they fail to understand just how politicized the Supreme Court has become. The justices themselves are not too politicized, but Congress is (of course) very political. They see a chance to keep that Republican seat in the Court and all they have to do is wait a year until a new president (who might be their party) takes office.

Justice Thomas was a George H.W. Bush appointee nominated with a Democrat-controlled Senate. Bush had 1.5 years left in office, which would be too much time to wait. It took months for that process to be completed, and it was a very narrow vote to approve him. It took 124 days to successfully appoint Thomas with a vote of 52 to 48. If Bush only had 1 year left in office, I'm sure the congress would have pushed a little harder to wait. Now? We have wayyyyy too much at stake. There's no way the GOP is going to just give that up. Marriage Equality? Citizens United? Obamacare? We have a chance to tip the balance of the court. If we manage to get a new justice in, it sure as hell will take more than a month.

Also, congress doesn't give a rat's ass about the people. They will say they are preventing Obama's appointee because it's "for the people". It's an argument that isn't only used in one way.

#29 Skaros, Feb 13, 2016
  10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    True. It's in the best interests of the US.

But best interests doesn't seem to be a huge priority with the current Congress. I can't honestly see that changing any time soon.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Scalia was not a sock puppet. I'll go against the grain and say he was actually a brilliant constitutional scholar. A strict constructionist who believed in interpreting the constitution word for word in the way the Founding Fathers wrote it (which, from what we know, is not what they intended. )

He was also the worst kind of asshat who didn't care one whit about people, and seemingly angry about a changing society.

I never like to speak ill of the dead, but it is truly a blessing that he passed away.

12. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That doesn't mean it's okay. Regardless of politics, we're all people and celebrating someones death is reprehensible no matter how strongly you might disagree with someone.

I definitely didn't agree with Scalia on everything, but that's pretty sad. I hope everything goes well for his relatives and anyone else involved.

#32 baconpox, Feb 13, 2016
  13. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    RIP and best wishes to the family.

14. Eye Shine

It's really sad and I kinda feel bad that it is putting us in favor. Even so it is what it is. The man passed away and a democrat is in office. It's only logical that the next judge will be liberal. However, my condolences to him and his family.

15. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think you are the only one to note this. IIRC, on another forum a gay man who was, during his time there, very much into politics and very anti-Republican said something along those lines.

I can't comment. I haven't studied Scalia enough. What little I know of him just makes my blood boil, and so the less I paid attention to him, the happier I was. It wasn't like I'd ever have a chance to vote him out office, after all.

16. GayIsOk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, I realize, but it is Obama's Constitutional duty to appoint during his term. He has to according to the Constitution. Congress has to let him eventually, it's not their choice to let it roll over until the next President.

17. photoguy93

May he rest in peace - while I did not care for him, it's still a sad time.

That being said, my first thought was "DAMNIT, we now have to listen to shit from the conservatives on top of this whole election cycle..." and within minutes, I saw it was true!

Why shouldn't Obama pick a replacement? He is president for almost 11 more months! If it was a day away, I'd consider letting the next one pick...but really, how pathetic. Part of me actually wants them to wait, only to be even more pissed off when it's Bernie or Hillary picking...haha!

Then, I saw there's talk of who might be the next one - I don't care if you didn't like Scalia, but he's probably not even had a funeral yet and there's talk of who might be the next one? Yikes....

18. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello everyone.

Personally, I can understand the hurt and anger towards a character that endevoured to cause serious harm to the LGBT community. However, posts made simply to 'celebrate' someone's death are not appropriate for a support community like EC. Of course, nobody expects you to mourn his death, however 'dancing on his grave' is also inappropriate.

You are more than welcome to point out what his death might mean for the LGBT community, but please do not post about him "burning in hell". Be conscious that your posts reflect the EC community as a whole, and as a support community, we don't want to develop a reputation for reveling in anyone's death - no matter how much we disagreed with their ideology.

19. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very well, I will give an edited response.

Antonin Scalia was an evil person. He called the Voting Rights Act "a racial entitlement," constantly demonized non-heterosexuality and sought to have it criminalized, and fought to roll back every progressive law that has been instituted in his time.

I have no sympathy for him and will not wish him well, ever. My level of hatred and disgust for the individual apparently far exceeds the allowances of this forum, and I will leave it at that.

20. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And I more than fully concur, and offer this edited version:

I had to suffer almost three decades of him: I saw him uphold Sodomy laws being legal, and saw him in the dissent, when this was overturned. He was always on the wrong side of history. When I think of all the stigma he cast upon the LGBT community for almost 30 years, all I can think of is the feelings of shame he contributed to, and all of the gay people who were pushed over the edge, to suicide, by his hatred. And coming out in the 1980s, I was among those who may not have lived.

I have no more sympathy for him than a Jew would have for Hitler.

He favored the (elite) few over the many, the rich over the poor, the powerful over the weak, his own ego over humanity, and I hope a replacement can be appointed soon.