1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First appointment with Gender Therapist

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by irissakata, Jun 24, 2016.

1. irissakata

Hi everyone!

Next Thursday it is finally happening, my first appointment with a gender therapist. I'm extremely excited for it of course. But the closer i get to my appointment, the more my mind keeps bugging me, it keeps saying things like "you can live a normal life", "you don't need to do this", "you are a fake" etc.. and i have been looking forward to the moment where i finally would be able to talk to a gender therapist for years, to help me. It is like my mind keeps seeking escape routes from it, and it is also causing extreme anxiety.

Does anyone have a way i can deal with these thoughts and with the anxiety, and how can i best prepare for my appointment?

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to read this and I'm sorry for the dramatic post, but i just don't know what to do right now.

~Iris

2. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All I can say is you should bring up your concerns with the therapist. It is their job to assess you and help you decide if transitioning is right for you.

If it would help, write a list of everything you want to talk about so you don't miss anything.

3. irissakata

Thank you for your response ^_^

And it indeed is their job. But it is mainly like this. Before, it felt like i really needed to transition. But now my mind keeps worrying about things, like that i might never pass etc.. (and that decreases my motivation) Because deep down i know who i am, but it is just anxiety that i can't deal with i think. So i'm not sure if i'm still making sense to be honest...

#3 irissakata, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Could it be because this is the first step that you are taking to medically transition? Sometimes when you are going through the larger steps, there is a lot of anxiety there. This is something that a gender therapist can help with though. For now, I'd try to keep your mind on other things until after your first appointment.

5. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Improvise, we tend to be far more honest when we are improvising; and honesty helps tremendously in building a relationship with your therapist. Remember they are trying to get to know you at the first appointment.

6. irissakata

It certainly seems like the most logical explanation, and I do certainly feel the need to transition, so maybe it's also just me being afraid of the great unknown. And I will certainly do as much as possible to stay distracted from the anxiety. And thank you very much for your amazing advice ^_^

I will, i have always been someone that tell's everything at the moment I need to, so I think improvising seems like a great idea! And thank you very much too for your amazing advice ^_^

I'm just so grateful we have a safe place like EC, where I can talk to amazing people like all of you! ^_^

7. AmyBee

Yeah, what they said. Also all these questions and feelings are what going to the therapist is all about. It's good to question and wonder about things, and even anxiety can be made useful. I'm really excited for you!

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Start on the road. Remember where you came from, but don't look back.

9. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I feel exactly the same way a lot of the time. But remeber - there is a reason, a very reasonable reason at that, behind your dysphoria. You are perfectly valid and you deserve to be happy and to be able to live your life properly, you deserve, ten times over. Don't give up. You'll get there. An you'll thank yourself in due time.

10. irissakata

Nawww, thank you, and I'll try my best to make it useful ^_^
    I certainly will! Thank you very much ^_^
    Glad that I'm not the only one. And there indeed is a good reason behind it. And nawww, that's do sweet of you to say, so I won't give up! And I certainly also got the amazing people on this forum to thank ^_^