1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hydroxycut

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Butterfly2016, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Butterfly2016

So I've been using Hydroxycut for a little more than a week now. I'm trying to lose about 20lbs. So far its been working great for me. I'm already 2lbs lighter. I use the drink mix. Anyone else here use it? What was your experience with it?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd be cautious. This product has been blocked from sale three separate times by the FDA due to it causing liver damage, heart fibrillation, and various other serious medical side effects. They keep reformulating it with different combinations of things, and the cycle keeps repeating. Basically, it is an unregulated, untested, and pretty dangerous nutritional supplement that works by artificially stimulating metabolism in a way that has proven to not be safe. It is marketed through a loophole in existing regulations.

Worse, there's almost no evidence that it actually works. The one tiny study that purports to show objective results is actually a study of green tea extract (basically, caffeine) rather than hydroxycut itself.

A two pound weight loss can easily be attributed to water weight, dietary changes, exercise, or other factors; given the way that fat metabolism works it is very unlikely that the supplement actually caused the loss of two pounds of fat.

If it were me, I would choose a different path.

One of the things we know about fat retention is that it is most directly impacted by the levels of cortisol (a stress hormone) in the body, which, in turn, are impacted by stress levels. Cortisol impacts leptin, a major factor in the storage and burning of fat, causing the body to become resistant to it, and therefore, to have difficulty burning fat. Supplements such as hydroxycut not only don't reduce the leptin resistance pathway, they put additional stress on it, which may increase leptin resistance.

There are some pretty successful dietary approaches aimed at naturally reducing cortisol, reducing leptin resistance, and helping the body to burn fat without using artificial stimulants. There's one called "The Fat Resistance Diet" that is pretty well regarded.

There's also a really good book, The Plant Plus Diet, that is probably the most well-researched and credible approach to diet, metabolism, and the underlying biochemistry of weight control that's yet been written. The author has a Ph.D in microbiology and in psychotherapy and addresses the psychological as well as biochemical factors that impact weight.

If it were me, I would opt for an approach closer to one of those, as they are safe and have very sound evidence to support their efficacy.

3. thrashgal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    agreed with above poster, id say dont take weightloss stuff just change your diet and exercize as often as u can really pushing yourself harder and harder..cut out sugary drinks sodas, juices with fake sugar or high sugar or even just added sugar, id opt for like infused water (just water and u add things like fruits or herbs or whatevr, i like mint plant with lime juice and cucumber myself) or teas..drink lots of water..and cut out most sweets and get ur sugars from real fruits..ud be surprised how much of a difference that alone will make...also opt for whole foods and cut out processed foods if u can...and work out workout workout...forced yourself to when u feel lazy but also remember to have a rest day or two...fuk all those things that promise results, u dont need them

#3 thrashgal, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I lost 40 lbs since August largely doing this diet, eating 5 smaller portions a day, and drinking a detoxifying tea blend about 4x/week (10 bags green tea and 4 bags Yogi Detox tea in a quart mason jar steeped overnight), plus working out about 3 times a week.

I don't trust a lot of these cleanse or supplement diets. Often times they're not safe, not tested, or not permanent and you just regain the weight.

#4 SemiCharmedLife, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  5. Butterfly2016

I'm doing pretty well on it right now. I've gone from 153lbs to 148lbs in just 2 weeks. I feel fine. The only side effect I notice is feeling hyper. Thanks for the heads up though.