1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is for The Parents

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Willa, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Willa

I just want to say to all the parents on this site who post things like "How do I support my child?" and "Help me remember my kid's pronouns," that you are all basically super heroes. You are the best parents in the whole world. You are so brave and so loving and you have to know how much your children appreciate you. Even if they don't say it, even if they act like huge brats, they are so, so grateful for you. You are all angels. God bless you. I know it's hard, and it's scary, and it's confusing, and it's frustrating. Hang in there. Stay with us. You are amazing. You are saving your child's life every single day. Know that this community isn't just for your kids. It's for you, too. This is your community. We are here to take care of you, too. We love you. We appreciate you. We are proud of you. You are a super hero. Keep coming back.(&&&)

2. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. bookandquill

Out Status:
    A few people
    So true. An accepting parent can mean the world.

4. alli o

alli o Guest

thank ou for writing this it needed to be said it is so important

5. Sinergy

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you....Your words feel me up and let me know I have something special to give and receive

If I listen.....I will hear!
    If I look...i will see!
    If I give love....I will receive!
    if I accept..... I will understand!

and what I understand is....... that I love my child for the wonderful person they are and how special they are.....for to me from giving me a gift of growth and compassion.

Priceless

6. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This.

(&&&)

7. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everything about this post is making my night at work better.

Seriously, though. Parents who will put in the extra effort are the best kinds of people.

8. Book addict

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think too, I hope, when I will be certain of who I really am and eventually come out to my parents, that they will be super heroes #hope
    Book addict

#8 Book addict, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  9. Sinergy

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    book addict

Your parents might possibly waiting for you to tell them. I was waiting for my son to tell me and I did once asked him but, he wasn't ready and he said NO he was “straight”..... so I had to respect his space.

And after a year he finally told me and he was so much happier (free)... he had built up such a fear and felt he would have to move away from me and the family cause he was concerned that we would hate him.

Could you be in fear?

Do you drop hints...seeing how they react?

10. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As someone who was rejected by her parents and her family, I agree with every word. You saved your child from something that is a true nightmare, a feeling of despair so deep that it eclipsed any hope for happiness during the horrible months that followed. When I read of any parent who accepts and understands it lights up my day because I know that a life was saved. So thank you and be proud of yourself for being such amazing parents. (*hug*)

#10 Eveline, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  11. art3mis

Wow, this is so true! My parents are divorced when I was a baby, so I don't know about my father, but my mum always has been extremely tolerant and supportive. We lived in such a conservative area with all our relatives being extremely conservative. But she was always on my side and defended me, supported me and I'm eternally grateful for that. It means so so much for children to be appreciated and loved for what they are by their closest ones. Please keep this in mind, when your child is coming out to you. You can literally save a life.

#11 art3mis, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  12. penelope

I love this thread. I wish all of the parents could be as supporting.

13. Supportivemom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Willa!
    Thank you soooo much for your message. I am newish here and I felt bad at first for being honest (e.g. how I had to grieve a little over the loss of my heterosexist expectations of how my daughter's life would be and my fears for her if she is gay (she is still unsure, only 12)). So every time I get support like this from kids who say they understand what it might be like for a parent like me, I am so uber-grateful my chest is about to explode.

xo

14. LizSibling13

LizSibling13 Guest

I have to say that supportive parents will really help with our alternative lifestyle (It is IMHO normal, not an alternative). My folks knows I love being a girl now, and yesterday, my mom helped me cook dinner for my bf...and my family, too. (Dad drove my bf home and when we were on his porch, bf said I could be his wife and mom to our kids. I said, I want a uterus in me, love).

15. RainbowBoyMom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you, I think this site is a super hero, because it helps us parents, too.

16. festivalhinge

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    As a parent, I want to say ** Thank You!! ** to all who have posted here.

I keep coming back to it, to re-read it. It was a new thread when I was new here, and said just the right things at the right time for me.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to bounce it for the benefit of the other parents here.

And I'll just add, for their benefit, that I and my wife went to our first Pride a couple of days ago. (Without our daughter, who could not be there.) I'd encourage other parents to go, with or without their children. It was such a friendly, happy, joyous event.

17. Elam

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I totally agree. I see people talking about how their parents weren't supportive of them, and if this happened to me (which is possible, I am still in the closet), I would break down. I need my parents to support me if I want to move forward in my transition. Thank you to all the parents who support their children through this.

18. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I too want to say thank you to the parents out there who are supportive and trying to learn more to support and understand their child.

It isn't easy for us figuring out and accepting our own sexuality and/or gender identity, but I also understand it can be difficult for parents too to come to terms with this and figure out how to best move forward and support their kid.

To all the parents who are even just making an effort to be on here - thank you. Trust me, I would be incredibly, incredibly grateful. Not everyone has the support or acceptance of family, but it gives me a bit of hope when I see parents on here trying to understand and accept their child for who they are. Thank you so much (*hug*)

19. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is so true :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: God bless excepting parents

20. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation: