1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice please

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Clare1000, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Clare1000

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi thank you for reading.
    My 15 year old son has been suffering with anxiety and I think depression on and off over the past couple of years. The last few months have been much worse with him having migraines brought on by anxiety. After a visit to the drs he is now on a low level anti depressant which is meant to help with the anxiety and moods. It seems to have done the opposite.
    He told the dr that he has had thoughts of harming himself. As far as i know he hasnt dont anything yet.
    I sent him a text earlier...as he doesnt like talking...saying if he knew or felt that he was gay it was perfectly ok and would never change the amount i love him. I was clutching at straws but it turned out to be correct.
    We have talked tonight and he is the lowest ive ever seen him. He doesnt want to be gay...he said that his father...who he hasnt seen for a few years (the fathers choice) had said that gay people should be shot...hes catholic..no excuse but it was a generalization and he was probably saying it to get a reaction. Even though he didnt know about his son.
    My son is hurting so much and i dont know how to help. I just want to take the pain away.
    Any advice would be very welcome
    Thank you in advance
    Sorry for rambling

2. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    While it might not be what you want to hear, but some times medication doesn't work or has adverse side effects. I can't count how many anti depressants my sister tried before finding one that worked and didn't have some weird side effect. One of them was doing awesome at helping her feel better, but gave her nose bleeds that would nearly send her to the ER.

I would suggest seeing a therapist who deals or specializes with depression and sexual orientation.

As for helping in other ways; just keep telling him you love and accept him and you will always be there for him.

3. questions4ever

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The most important thing you can do is be there for him no matter what. Acknowledge that this sucks. Find a truly great therapist (they do exist!).

4. Wolfwing

All I can recommend is you assure him that being gay is okay ,you always be there to help him, and most importantly love, accept, and support him no matter what.