1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New here and looking for support

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by HIMYM, Jul 27, 2016.

1. HIMYM

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hiya,
    I have posted a couple of times so far but don't feel that I've done a proper introduction about me.

So here goes, I am a trans women and I am gay, and I am struggling with very little to no support at all and was wondering if here might help.I have been living full time as a trans women for 4.5 years now.

I feel that I have two major struggles right now as a trans women. The first is that I have no to very little support (I have just started going to my local LGBTQ+ center). I have now got to that point in my journey where, I just can't do this on my own anymore, and I am just shouting out for help aimlessly hoping that anyone who can help support me, in terms of advice and someone who understands the difficulties that I go through. It would be really nice to talk to someone on an equal level without having to fully explain all the time.

What I think also makes this maybe more difficult is that I know that I need to gain self confindence, and then when I know it, believe it.
    Maybe I need to start loving the whole of me and not just my soul or my mind (who I am), but also love my physical body as well. We have had a long history of hating each other and in the end I had to choose so I did, but now....

I feel that I have connected with the label of gay since I have understood me. It is only very recently I realised that I had messed up the meanings of gay & straight, and now I get it. I had realised that I was gay but this was before I realised fully about my gender. So when I knew the gay label was right it ment men with men. I kept that understanding, but I realised and was a trans women, and didn't change the meaning. Things kept not working out at all with men. Then when a women just swept me off my feet, cleanly, I had to relook at what gay ment. And this is where I am today, gay meaning to me women with women.
    I feel so free and just so relaxed, just simply walking down the street and not beating myself up about looking at women. It feels so scary because my brain is so quiet and spacious. I haven't ever had this feeling in my living memory before, its sooooooooooo amazing, I feel like I am flying, its that much of a relief. I just want to feel that I have fully accepted it within myself and that I am confident about it all.
    I know I am gay and I know that its right.

Thank you for taking the time to read through this, and any advice or comments in any shape would be appreciated.
    Thank you

2. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey there and a late welcome to you! :smilewave

I have seen you post before but I never know quite what to say because you don't seem to have any specific question or thing you need advice on. You could also try the Gender Identity and Expression forums if you haven't already if you need advice on trans-related things, there are some really helpful people there who don't necessarily come to the Later in Life forums.

Oh and congratulations on figuring out you are gay in a lesbian way! :slight_smile:

3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi HIMYM,

I think we've spoken on other threads, but welcome to EC. I hope you're able to find the support here that you're looking for. Congrats on your progress so far! :slight_smile:

4. Stewie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm happy for you, figuring out where you fit, is a freeing feeling.

5. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride::welcome::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

6. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi and welcome again HIMYM. :slight_smile: I've responded on a couple of your threads. I just wanted to say again thanks for being a part of the forum and sharing your story.

Congrats on finding your label and gaining greater understanding of yourself.

It sounds like you're doing the right things to find support by going to your LGBTQ centre.

As far as loving your whole self, I think counselling is a great place to find more self acceptance. I would suggest specifically going to a counsellor specifying in LGBTQ issues.

Keep writing on here, everyone here is very supportive.

#6 baristajedi, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  7. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  8. HIMYM

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello to everyone and thank you for welcoming me :slight_smile:

Thank you HappyGirlLucky I haven't really looked at the Gender Identity and Expression forum but I will now go over and have a much more in depth look into it, thank you. I will also take on board the advice that I need to be possibly asking questions or advice in a far more clearer way if at all.

NotMyName I think your right we may have spoken on one of your threads about questioning before.

Baristajedi, I am just feeling that there is or should be more than just going to my local LGBTQ+ Center to find friends and a support network thats why I was asking. I am seeing the counsellor at the LGBTQ+ center on Thursday so I am sure that I will find out if it better than the ones I have tried before.

Thank you again for all your responses