1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom doesn't believe I'm depressed

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Hamilton, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Hamilton

Yesterday, I opened up to my mom about thinking I might have depression. I told her I had nearly all of the symptoms aside from insomnia and I rather have hypersomnia. She thinks it's just me being lazy and unmotivated but I fee like its so much more because even the things that I used to love so much (drawing and reading) seem so cumbersome to me. She thinks it's just because of my age and hormones but I don't think that's it. We are going to the doctor on Wednesday, though, and she said she'll talk to the doctor about it but I don't think she really knows what I mean when I say all of these things. Like I said, she just thinks I'm unmotivated. I don't know what to do ):

2. Alexrocks1253

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That must suck. Maybe tell your other parent or someone that you trust? Idk if this will help, but if it doesn't, here. (*hug*)

3. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Be sure to speak up for yourself to the Doctor and dont let your mother speak for you. Maybe also ask your mother to allow you to see the Doctor alone. If she refuses you can ask again in front of your Doctor who no doubt will put pressure on your mother to wait outside. You dont need your mother being dismissive or speaking for you in this situation.

#3 Robert, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  4. scarlettreid95

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    When you go to the doctors, definetely speak up for yourself and make it clear what your symptoms are. If your mum is going to try to speak for you, ask her in front of the doctor to leave, because she won't refuse if the doctor is there. If you truly thin you are depressed, the doctor won't dis miss this. good luck!

5. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with the other posters 100%

6. Snoww

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most parents have a hard time accepting that their child might have some sort of mental health issue such as depression. I've experienced it. By giving her further information about the symptoms and maybe comparing them to how normal people feel about certain situations, it might help you convince her that you're not just unmotivated. For me it worked. And as the others said, speak for yourself, don't let your mom speak in your place. Good luck!

7. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In general, parents have a hard time accepting mental illness with their kids. I've had friends whose parents have told them not to talk about their issues, because they don't want to accept it. Even my mom, who worked with mentally ill kids and autistic kids, looked me in the eyes and told me "You're not depressed, just anxious," despite the multiple diagnoses I had received from a psychologist that day. It's denial. It doesn't mean they don't love you, I think they just blame themselves when they hear the words "mental illness" and can't handle it.

If it makes you feel any better, we believe you. I believe in all the things you are feeling. I'm not a doctor, I cannot diagnose depression, but that doesn't mean what you're feeling and experiencing isn't there, real, and legitimate. Take the advice others have given you in the other posts, and stick up for yourself. You can do this, okay? (*hug*)

8. logansarah

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would recommend talking to a doctor or whoever you feel comfortable with, family, friends, a counselor, ect. If you don't feel comfortable write in a journal a bit before working up to talking to someone. Journaling is surprisingly relaxing.

It's not easy and you might feel like you're alone, but if you look you really aren't, you just have to reach out a couple times. Your mom might not believe you and believe me it's heartbreaking when the person who raised you and you look to for support doesn't believe you, but sometimes we just have to find someone who will believe and will support and help.

The same thing happened with my mom. After I told my mom I thought I was depressed she told me "It's great that you think your depressed.....". I than decided that I would wait the few months before I was 18 to talk to a doctor about it. That didn't work out because at my next doctor appointment when my mom stepped out of the room and the doctor asked if there was anything that I wanted to say I just blurted out that I thought I might be depressed, than I rambled that I had researched the symptoms and I had almost all of them. He asked a few questions, called some people in, and than told me that while he couldn't diagnose it he was pretty sure I had depression and that when we moved to our next home he would have the stuff added to my medical record, so that I could talk to the doctor there. We still haven't moved to a house yet and a month ago I had my 2rd crying break down that month and I decided that I really needed to talk to someone, so I straight out asked my aunt if I could talk to her. We talked and I was surprised to find out that she had also had depression and how she dealt with it.

I hope you good luck and hope that you overcome it. You are strong for asking for help.