1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best approach for dealing with this guy

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by StarHealer, Aug 27, 2016.

1. StarHealer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey guys,

So, I've been going through this weird thing with this guy for a couple of months now. I don't know what we are or aren't. It's very confusing.

Just as a summery of my foolishness. I made an off hand comment to him, about thinking he was "hot". This started a chain of events that just got weirder and weirder. I thought he was straight and I was just joking around with him, but suddenly he was hitting on me and acting in a way I'd never witnessed. It got more and more intense leading to him trying to hook up with me, which I didn't do because I could tell he was terrified and I just knew in my heart it would have been a very very wrong thing to do. (I won't lie I really wanted to though....)

He recovered from that and it went away from a sexual energy to a more (for lack of a better term) of a dating kind of energy, with me making a lot of mistakes along the way CAUSE I DIDN'T REALIZE I WAS WITH HIM.

He asked me out on a date, but did it in a very crappy and indirect way. (Asking me if I was going to watch a movie, me saying no and him suddenly saying "oh, I'm watching it today, you really don't want to watch it", like what I have to beg you?)

We were texting almost every day, him sending videos of sailormoon dubbed over with funk songs about love, me sending funny vids that I knew he'd like. But it suddenly stopped.

That's the way all of this has been, it goes on really intensely a certain way and then just suddenly stops. I have a gay friend and the only advice she gave was "just ignore him".

I did that, very recently, cause I'm so so tired of this whole "thing". He freaked out, he got all pissed off and was stomping around, and when we spoke his voice was very high and upset. I made an offhand comment at one point and he was suddenly like "Welcome back." and I was just like "welcome back? I'm not back!", but he just started laughing and I told him to stop, I wasn't joking and flipped him off, but he thought I was flirting with him. I told him I hate him, but he just smiled and laughed again.

There's so so much more. Bringing girls around to try to make me jealous and other things like that. I'm just like WTF? Him getting jealous of things I talk about. Just crazy shit really.

I just want to straight up ask him if we're a couple or something, is that a mistake? I can't ignore him cause he thinks I'm just playing a game with him. I wasn't even ignoring him, I was just acting like "whatever", but I can't get away, he drags me right back.

I'm very frustrated right now. Very. What do I do? There are some many things going through my head and it's making me crazy. I'm sure I barely made sense, but I'm going crazy here.

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow! I can't give much advice on this, but I am a sympathetic ear to your venting.

From my perspective of what you wrote, he seems to have a very real (physical/sexual) attraction to you (you said he asked you out on a date - did he call it a 'date'?) that he himself is not comfortable with in his own mind at all. That makes the problem mostly his, but it's obviously having a big emotional impact on you, as well, because you are openly attracted to him. So, is he secretly gay or bisexual or is he just messing with you by being a big tease? Have you thought about sitting him down and having a one-on-one heart-to-heart conversation, telling him that if he won't be upfront with you in the conversation that you intend to just walk away and have nothing to do with him ever again (or something along those lines, depending on how you feel about it)?

Knowing only the actions that you have described, I kinda think he's got at least a huge crush on you. But if you try to pursue a relationship with someone who is in self-denial, you are going to suffer massive emotional consequences. Sometimes it can be worth it, sometimes not. In my view, it depends in large part on whether or not he's on the brink of opening up to his own sexuality (in his own mind, first) or if he's locked in his denial, but is messing with you because his subconscious and body won't allow him to completely deny his true nature. (The heart-to-heart conversation I mentioned above might bring things to a head between the two of you - and, actually, do you have anything to lose by doing something like that?)

Ultimately, I guess, only you can decide if you think it's better to try to pursue a relationship in this situation or just shut it off and not have to have such a distraction in your life.

I don't know if I've really been of any help to you. Sorry.:icon_sad:

#2 Quantumreality, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  3. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does he know you're gay?

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good point, NickW! I assumed that when he said:

that his friend KNEW he was gay. I mean, what straight guy tells his friend HE thinks he's hot?

5. StarHealer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, thank you guys.

He know's I'm gay, everyone does. For the record other than my gay friend, no one knows about this.

He didn't say the word "date", but after everything that had happened up till that point it's like he was asking me out.

He made a comment one time about how I was going to "question his sexuality", cause he took his ex to a Little Mermaid concert. I said I didn't cause it makes sense for a guy to take his girlfriend to a show like that (?). I said, I'd only question him if I found him at a bath house or something.

It's obviously not fair to me, I'm trying to understand him, but it's very confusing.

I should add, he's thirty and in my opinion a very good looking guy. To me it seems like something like this should have happened to him already. right? Also, at his age, shouldn't he know if he's interested in men or not?

I don't know about a relationship, because he did this whole rant about hating things getting too emotional and dealing with "crazy" ex-girlfriends, all the while I've seen so much emotion on that boys face and in his actions.

I told him that I really liked him, which was the closest I've gotten to that issue. He made a slight face, before smiling at me and talking to me in a sweet manner. Then I tried to invite him to a concert and he kind of freaked out, which lead me to kind of cut him from my life for a while. But I guess I'm back now, according to him anyway.

I'm overwhelmed.

(on a lighter note, I was talking to him about Chris Hemsworth, like I do with everyone and even him multiple times. This one last time, after I said his name, the look on his face was priceless. Like he couldn't believe I'd dare to bring Chris up in front of him. Later he brought Chris up and said something about him being my "heartthrob" in the most sarcastic way possible. I was trying so hard not to laugh at him)

#5 StarHealer, Aug 27, 2016
  6. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He is probably bicurious, bi or gay. But, he does sound like he sort of wants you to make a move. Then he won't have to decide.

I was him once. But, not quite so dramatic. I flirted and hinted with a gay guy because I wanted him to decide I was into it. Not me. It was chickenshit of me and not fair to the other guy. Not fair to you. I wish this guy would have just said "look me up when you figure it out". What he did do was proposition me. Scared the shit out of me but it worked. I decided to face my sexuality because of it!

But, if I would have taken him up on it, I was not ready and it might have been a scene.

I advocate total honesty. Just flat out ask him what he wants. Then you decide if you are cool with it.

---------- Post added 27th Aug 2016 at 03:41 PM ----------

My friends and I have done this for years joking around. Little did they know I was serious!

#6 Nickw, Aug 27, 2016
  7. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whew! You said so much! (Not a problem.) So, let me try to address things that caught my attention in order. (And all of this is just my opinion, of course. And you don't actually know me from Jack, but I promise to be honest and heartfelt- if not always tactful.) (I don't know how this post is going to look because I'm going to try to parse your post in pieces to respond to specific comments directly.)

If he didn't say the word "date," that would be more of an indicator to me that he even more repressed or actually just stringing you along (the extremes).

You weren't questioning his sexuality (I assume), so that would indicate to me HIS repressed sexuality putting 'words', as it were, in YOUR mouth.

It's definitely NOT fair to you, which is why I said that only you can decide whether or not you think pursuing a relationship with him is worth it. And I would bet money (not literally, because I would never try to make money from someone else's pain) that you will end up suffering significant emotional distress (at least in the near-term) from pursuing a relationship with him.

Uh, sorry, no. Not everyone deals with their own sexuality the same way. That's why we are all individuals. Personally, I didn't come out until very late in life, but I dealt internally with my sexual preference and became comfortable with it at a very young age. If he's dealing with religious, moral, family, etc issues that tell him it's wrong, he may not yet have really faced his own sexuality in the mirror. No bad on him. People are people.

A couple of the 'gayest' friends I've had, if you will excuse the use of the word in an almost derogatory fashion, were initially 'straight' guys who had a ton of girlfriends, but they could never keep a girlfriend for any lengthy relationship. Can you guess why?

That's cute. And yet another indicator of how much he seems to be in to you. But then his denial kicks in...

Oh, yeah, and Chris Hemsworth is very cute. I put him in the league of Hayden Christensen.

---------- Post added 27th Aug 2016 at 06:57 PM ----------

NickW's comment about total honest is totally in line with mine about having a heart-to-heart conversation with him. If I was in your situation and he wouldn't open up in a heart-to-heart, I'd let him go. But, again, I'm only providing my opinion from a distance and in the real world only you can ultimately decide what is best for you. (Albeit, hopefully, a bit more informed from the discussion in this forum.)

8. StarHealer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks again guys! I like all forms of help, even if it's constructive criticism! :icon_bigg

When I narrow it down, I'm in two minds. I know that either way I go, he's going to get upset. I just know him now.

I kind of want to just do it like pulling a band-aid off and just ask him "are we seeing each other or something?". I was already so freaked out the day that I told him I like him and it took everything for me to come off as naturally as possible. I had this whole thing I planned to say, but it got very condensed.

I'm guessing the heart to heart is the best way to go, but I know he's going to get very uncomfortable and defensive, so it makes it hard to have a talk like that.

I have a feeling that if I ask him what we are, he's going to say we're nothing and get super defensive. I feel like he is definitely stringing me along and getting too serious will kill it, but I guess it's good because it'll be over.

Though of course, only if he lets it be over, even after that. . .

As far as my thirty comment, I only meant that I figured a guy would have hit on him already. It seems like he should have gone through this kind of thing already (?).

I also don't get why me. I'm a heavier guy, I guess I have okay looks. It seems weird that I would be the one he'd choose, in the back of my head anyway. . .

A tiny part of me just wants to try freaking him out, so he'll find me gross and maybe hate me and then want to move on. Like say the craziest nastiest gayest thing I could think of.

9. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess when it comes down to it, StarHealer, you have to live your life. If you invest too much more emotional capital in this semi-/kinda-/sorta-/sort-not relationship, you have much more to lose than he does. What do you really have to lose by ‘pulling off the band-aid,’ as you said? From what you posted, it basically would either mean that you go your separate ways (by your choice overtly, but also by his choice if he doesn’t choose to open talk to you when you question him directly) or the two of you become MUCH closer. Either way, your life moves forward, doesn’t it?

It sounds like you think that because you move in the same circles, ending it on your side won’t necessarily end it on his. I guess if it came down to it, you could always tell him that if he doesn’t own up or let it go, that you would start telling your friends about your failed mutual love affair with him… but that would be pretty mean and probably a last resort – maybe the just the threat would be enough. (In fact, I think I, personally, might threaten someone in similar situation to yours with that, but I don’t think I could ever actually do it.) YOU have to live your own life.

I don't think you really want to listen to that little voice in the back of your head and just freak him out. That would ultimately leave you unresolved emotionally.

And you still haven’t shown any evidence that he isn’t just stringing you along and playing with you. That is a horrible thing to do and I still think it’s unlikely given all the other things he’s done to and with you, but it still can’t be ruled out at this point.

As far as age, goes, I wasn’t being critical, I was just pointing out that you can’t assume what feelings about his sexual identity he has come to terms with at any particular age. If he is in deep denial, why would he have gone through this before? Maybe he has and is in denial about that, as well. Or maybe he has simply never encountered a guy he cared about as much as you before now. A good friend of mine had a boyfriend about 15 years ago who was in his 40’s who was married and two daughter when he ‘suddenly’ came out of the closet. Of course, it wasn't really suddenly, but he hadn’t accepted his sexual identity up to that point.

As to why ‘you,’ love is a mysterious thing. Real, lasting relationships are based on so much more than physical attraction. The idea of a true soul mate is not a myth and it has nothing to do with the physical appearance or gender of either person. Don’t question your own self worth. If someone loves you that is enough.

Best of luck and stay strong!

#9 Quantumreality, Aug 27, 2016
  10. StarHealer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I guess I'll have this as a sort of journal, for updates.

This is where I'm sure I'm going to get flack, but so be it. We work together, so we see each other a lot, but only usually while working.

He was sent to cover another location for two weeks and other than Monday (where he "welcomed me back"), I haven't seen him until yesterday. I was standing there, doing my thing, when he was suddenly there, we saw each other and did our bro head tilt greeting. He smiled slightly then sighed heavily and walked off. I tried to follow him, but someone stopped me, which sucked cause I could tell he was upset. I was just finishing with the person, when I backed up and almost walked right into him, he just kept going and left. I guess I'll find out what happened later today.

As far as game playing, I'm just remembering some things. The day I told him I like him, he brought up going to the movies with a girl, when I asked if it was a date he got very defensive saying "no". I just felt bad because apparently it had been a disaster, the theater had homeless people not really romantic.

Then this random girl brought him something one time and he very loudly thanked her, then hugged her, ignoring me. I took (several) a breath and walked over to him, to say bye (I was off). Being very cool, and it seemed he got mad and stormed off when I didn't bring up the girl or what she brought him.

I make him jealous without intending to. I was taking to an old coworker one time and I turned because I realized he was staring over at us, fuming. Chris Hemsworth of course....

Blah, sorry just remembering random stuff.

11. StarHealer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ........Or not.

He came in today. Nodded at me and walked away with a pissed look on his face. We never spoke once. I of course left hurt and completely pissed off.

As of right now, I don't give a fuck about that asshole anymore.

12. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to hear that StarHealer, but maybe the best way to look at it is that now you can move on...

13. YeahpIdk

I think it's best, with everything you've said, to let this one go. Even if he is gay, even if he likes you, even if you like him, you're both on two totally different pages. Things aren't this difficult when it comes to a flowing, healthy relationship.

Don't be in a relationship because he makes it seem like you are. Be in a relationship because you guys are great together. This is not great together. At least it doesn't sound that way at all. He could still be sorting out his sexuality, but believe me, you don't want to stick around for that. He may never accept it and always just play games so he can get his fill without anything real happening.

You guys don't seem to speak the same language. That would only get worse and more hurtful the deeper you guys might get. So either tell him you like him and want to be with him, having a super open and honest conversation with him - or leave it be.

14. Tomás1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You sound attached - fretting & worrying about him, whether he smirked or smiled. It's not healthy.

Let go of him. If there is anything there, he'll come to you. But don't wait for him, or expect it. Put the ball in his court, do some kind of separation ritual for & by yourself, and move on. Don't waste any more of your time with this guy. Find someone authentic.

#14 Tomás1, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  15. StarHealer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yesterday, I had this wonderful two and a half hour long conversation with one of my very very good friends and I feel so much better know. I agree with everything he said and I can agree with all of what you guys said.

I don't care anymore. I don't care about Nick anymore.

I don't have the time! I have too much other stuff going on and I just need to move forward and focus on my future.

I still have to work with him though, so I'm sure that's going to be very pleasant.

I'll be back when he inevitably does some fucked, weird, emotional thing to me.

16. Krater

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You have what I call a "Player" in your net. You opened up emotionally to him and he is playing safe. For a time he may say all the right words every now and then (knowing that you are into him), but he is either genuinely playing you or he is just chicken shit scared which brings up all sorts of puke - denial, defensiveness, even dating a girl and telling you about it to throw your head in a tailspin, etc...

If he doesn't mean what he says and says what he means and his actions match his words. Save yourself a whole heaps of heartache!

He is game playing against your emotions. Seemingly in but really hidden.

Stop second guessing his motives, what he says, what that face he shows - what could it mean? It will just do your head in looking for hope

Guys (closeted gay guys too) can be mean and play all sorts of childish twisted games when they know someone is into them more so if its another guy.

Just ignore him (that may take some time to let go of him emotionally) work professionally.

17. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like he is interested in you, but is feeling ashamed of his sexuality. The fact that he's getting jealous and acting this way tells me he wants you. I just think he's having a hard time accepting it. I think maybe you need to confront him and say something like, "Look, I don't know what your problem is but, do you like me like that, or are you just fucking around with me? I'm willing to give this a shot, but if you keep playing games like this, I'll have no choice but to end this whole thing."

I'm being harsh because it seems to me that he communicates that way. Keep us updated. :slight_smile:

EDIT: I just read the other posts. He's an asshole, yes. But I think he's acting this way to repress his feelings and sexuality. He reminds me of the guy, Perry, in the movie The Mudge Boy.

#17 Anthemic, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  18. StarHealer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Again, thank you all for the kind words and help!

I finally worked with him today, after not really seeing each other for about three weeks (basically). When I went to the back to put my stuff away, I saw him looking at me, but quickly turn away. Whatever.

I didn't need to talk to him, at all, so I just stayed away from him. Other then catching him looking at me a couple of times, he just stayed away.

It seemed to put him in a very bad mood and he didn't talk to anyone. When he left, no one knew it cause he just stormed out.

I have this feeling its building up and that something's probably going to happen. *Sigh*

Anyway, on a positive note. I'm going to go see Britney this week and I'm so freaking excited!

#18 StarHealer, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  19. StarHealer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    . . . Yeah, today he avoided me and when we did bump into each other, he reacted very angrily and kind of violently, always stomping off with a nasty look on his face.

Off to see Britney tomorrow!!!!!

and then I come back to reality and have all this shifts where I have to work with just him.

If I'm to believe him, he's leaving in October.

Please leave in October.

:lol:

20. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    LOL! He's toxic. You don't deserve that crap in your life.