1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Feel-bad" shows?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Kodo, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I saw a thread on "feel-good shows" and I just had to make this one (blame it on my inner pessimist).

What are some shows that, after watching, made you depressed? Or, that elicited any spike in realism, pessimism, paranoia, or various other typically negative-feeling emotions? You can also feel free to list movies.

Personally I'd rather see a film/show that can rock my boat and split my brain, than one that makes me feel all "fuzzy" inside.

#1 Kodo, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The Imitation Game - it was good, but the ending was just depressing. If I tell you it was about a gay guy in the 1940s and UK as a country are such hypocrites then you might know what I'm on about.

3. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most of the time, TV news shows in general enforce my pessimist attitude rather well, so I've just decided not to watch it for at all. I pretty much just get it from here these days anyway, to filter the "the gay agenda is killing everyone" stuff.

4. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's fitting that there's one for this too, cheers :lol:

I see that there are two types of "feel-bad" shows. One of them is the directly depressing type, where it deals with heartbreaking scenes, stories, and heavy, heavy issues, and will probably end up with me crying into something every two episodes. That's one type, though if they're done well enough I might actually find them....not happy or positive, but I would respect and love the show in a different kind of sense than the way I would laugh and love my favourite comedy shows.

The second type of "feel-bad" is just simply terrible. These are those shows that are blatantly heterosexist/homo or transphobic, or utilise unhealthy cliches and tropes- one random example is the overly aggressive guy who borderline harasses a girl until she goes out with him, and it's seen as romantic and beautiful. It's a trope I've heard being complained about a lot. They just elicit irritation and general upset within me. Can't think of any specific examples, but those shows that totally butcher it in terms of healthy portrayals and actually good writing, just make me feel uncomfortable and irks me to an extent that I'll probably stop watching. These are the shows that don't aim to be dark, don't even aim to properly explore heartbreaking storylines and issues, but end up being bad in the way they write characters and deal with issues within the show. Now these are negative in a way that I can't even appreciate. And they definitely make me feel generally pretty bad. There are shows out there that are so blatantly offensive for the sake of some cheap laughs it's a little concerning.

Anyways, in terms of sad movies (because I can't think of any specific TV shows on the spot, though I know I had some in mind) -I second one of the posts above for The Imitation Game. I nearly bawled at so many scenes not because it was a terrible movie, but because some parts were just incredibly heartbreaking to me. Dead Poets Society is another one that I watched when I was much younger, and it also had some incredibly sad scenes, especially in the end- though I won't ruin it. Ironically though it's one of my favourite movies, and it does have a message of general hope and meaning and all that throughout it, despite the super heartbreaking parts.

#4 Alder, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  5. rudysteiner

Game of Thrones for me.

6. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same here.

Too much greed, violence and a lack of anyone I can relate to.

7. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The Vampire Diaries. Once you get to the third season, it's like a depress-fest.

8. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Titanic is the biggest one for me. I get where the ship is starting to sink, and i have to leave the room, or cry uncontrollably.

9. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I tried to watch it with my sister, but it was too violent for me. I'm a total wimp. :lol:

10. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess Breaking Bad is a pretty downbeat show!

11. GenderSciFi

Dr. House. Admittedly, sometimes the witty-badass-unfriendly-cynic doctor thing is amusing, but most of the time it brings me down. Game of Thrones, too.

12. candyjiru

Dr. Phil XD;;;; The commercials always seem so light-hearted... but then the show is horrible ;.; so sad... ;.;

Also Law and Order (and the spin-offs) whenever they don't catch the bad person T.T

13. UnendingVoid

Breaking Bad season 2 finale
    FMA brotherhood (you know which bit I'm talking about)
    Bridge to Terabithia

14. RandomMatt

The Walking Dead for me has always been a non-stop bleak feast. At least with shows like Game of Thrones there's enough humor and lightheartedness to compensate for all that aforementioned bleakness. TWD rarely finds time to be humorous which makes it all the more depressing to watch.

15. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The US version of Shameless. It's fun to watch but it occasionally brings up bad memories. The alcoholics, the hopeless and the derelict, the crazies and the druggies... It's like reliving my childhood all over again.

16. Mental

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Elfen Lied. Every single character has a deppressing backstory (ex: saw sister die right after saying that you hate her, being raped by stepfather, watch only friend (puppy) being beat to death by other kids, stuff like that), and most have a depressing ending. Its just so damn sad.

17. Genius Fanatic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Criminal Minds. It's a show about serial killers, so, you know, happy stuff! What makes this show even more sunshine and rainbows is that main characters die! Get kidnapped! Poisoned! Tortured! And one even develops a serious drug problem because of the above things! Yaaaaaaayyyyy!

18. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Anything that has to do with abused animals, like Animal Cops. I just cannot watch it. Shows like that make me physically sick and so sad that it ruins my whole day.

19. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't even explain the sadness I felt after watching The Walking Dead Season Four mid-season finale. I was torn, to this day a certain scene still heartbreaks me every time I watch it.

20. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Moral Orel. It's hard to explain the feel-bad aspect without going into massive spoilers, but it definitely gave me a lot of heavy stuff to think about.