1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Coming out of the closet" is Homophobic?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by perpetuality, Sep 21, 2016.

1. perpetuality

In class, we have recently watched V for Vendetta and when we were talking about Gordon (a gay man portrayed by Stephen F*cking Fry, love him) I talked about how he "came out of the closet" to a main character. BAM! Suddenly everybody is on me, accusing me of being homophobic and that saying that it's offensive.

Now, I'm really confused. I didn't think it was homophobic but maybe it is? It's just that there is literally a forum called "Coming Out Advice" so I'm pretty sure it isn't. It's nice that my English class is sticking up for the LGBT+ community, but uh, why would they think that?

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only times I've heard people say they don't like that term is when people say that sexuality shouldn't be assumed. I've never heard anyone say it's homophobic, that's pretty ridiculous. I mean, even if you think sexuality shouldn't be assumed, we still live in society where "coming out of the closet" is a necessary term.

3. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did they have any actual rationale behind this?

4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't worry about them.

Everything is offensive to someone. Some people will become offended if you say you don't like Star Wars, or that you aren't attracted to people with long hair.

Of course, i'm not saying you can simply say anything that comes into your mind without thinking (actually, you can, but that may create a lot of problems for you). The main point is: You weren't intentionally trying to hurt or "offend" someone.

In resume: No it isn't a homophobic term.

5. faustian1

They're "sticking up for the LGBT+ community?" I don't think so.

In fact, this sounds like the kind of passive-aggressive bigotry that lets a person get right back into the homosexual-hating role, while appearing to be "progressive" and "liberal." In the city where I grew up, Seattle, this kind of politics has a name, "The Seattle Way."

The "came out of the closet" phrase is in such general usage by gay people, that anyone who complains about it betrays themself as a rather uninformed novice to these issues.

I sure hope you asked them what they thought the PC way to express the sentiment would have been. I'm sure Stephen Fry would have found this to be hilarious.

#5 faustian1, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  6. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This sort of reminds me of something that happened to me back in grad school. It was like 25 years ago and I didn't know a lot of openly gay people, especially given that I was in a Divinity School, but it was already sort of fashionable amongst a certain strain of left-leaning students to be anti-homophobia, despite not really knowing any gay people. So anyway, I said something in this seminar--I don't really remember what I said. This other student pounced on it as "homophobic". Well anyway, I didn't really know everyone in the class but I was a sociable sort and so probably about half the people at that table knew I was gay. And everything just stopped. People looked around and then the whispering started--it was the most awkward game of telephone I've ever seen as the info worked it's way over to the person who had spoken. Then, quietly they apologized.

It was hysterical. Of course it seems even more ridiculous in retrospect now that I've met enough homophobic gay people to know that the two things certain don't preclude each other.:lol:

7. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Coming out isn't homophobic and anybody who says it is, quite frankly, is incredibly misguided in their attempts to support lgbt people.

8. faustian1

Those are great moments. I remember getting this lecture from a Canadian colleague in 2008, how "if you vote for Romney, you're crazy." In 2008, I voted for Obama, but for some reason (my appearance, my radio announcer style voice, my whatever), he seemed absolutely convinced that I was a Romney supporter. Neither before, nor during this did I let on what my political leaning in the election would be, except that my general statements in social conversations never were anything that I'd categorize as "conservative."

Unfortunately, because it was a business situation I really couldn't have any fun with it. Mainly, since the guy was from Toronto, I would have said, "I wondered if you were one of those Rob Ford supporters. Rob Ford was like Nixon. Even though you could never find a Rob Ford voter in Toronto (almost), he was handily elected. :lol:

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They're wrong.

10. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    thats completely insane, no it isnt offensive at all, infact this community practically came up with "coming out" as a term, "sexuality shouldn't be assumed" is some peoples argument but then, this isn't assuming, its literally a term for telling people your sexuality. so no, they are wrong, you are right

11. Formality

Wait what...? Who are these people?

12. ABeautifulMind

Thats pretty funny lol...

13. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think this happens a lot with SJW-types that are "The Norm" (you know, het-cis-white-middle class-neurotypical). It's like an extension of 'white guilt'. Especially I hear it a lot with cultural appropriation. People from outside of the community/culture make assumptions, decide for themselves, or literally heard it like one time on Youtube and then speak for the community/culture without actually knowing about the issue.

"Coming out" isn't homophobic. (Maybe probably policing/making decisions for/assuming your status/critiquing queer lexicon is though! ;P)

14. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Maybe you could ask them why? That seems very strange, I mean it's a very widely used term.

15. perpetuality

Okay, I asked them what they were going on about and they all claimed sudden amnesia. I think they were embarrassed, probably because of the tone of voice I used. I don't think they'll be claiming such things in the future though.

16. waterworks88

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's quite endearing, so no. :slight_smile:

17. Wolfwing

Anything can be considered offensive by anyone, but that doesn't mean them being offended is justified. For example, I saw a tumblr post where someone said that being gay and not liking trans males was discriminatory.

18. faustian1

Wait...there could be an upside. It could mean that I can have a crush on a straight guy, and he is required to have an affirmative action program to accommodate me.... (!)