1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What type of binder to choose?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Im queer2bclear, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Im queer2bclear

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never had a binder and I most likely won't get one any time soon cause my parents aren't the most supportive.. But when I do get one, which type should I get? I've seen many different closure types and I'm not quite sure. I've heard a lot of people say that when you first get a binder you should get a pull over one but I'm just not so sure how well that will work for me..

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The GC2B works really, really well for me. I have a smallish chest and it's the binder known to be more comfortable so that's why I got it. It feels like a sort of reinforced undershirt, almost like part of a superhero suit (at least that's what I tell myself). It was a bit hard on the wallet though, a full tank top size costing $40 once you figure shipping. But it is worth every penny as my dysphoria has decreased dramatically. In fact I worry that it might work a little too well since I'm sort of closeted right now and my chest is seriously flat.

If you have your own bank account it might be possible for you to get one without your parent's knowledge. Or you could get it sent to a friend or relative's house that you trust. Just make sure to not bind with anything harmful (e.g. Ace bandages). Something that worked alright for me when dysphoria spiked, before I could get a real binder, was a neoprene back wrap like is used for sports. It's a stretchy padded material and works as a breathable makeshift binder. Plus it is also inconspicuous to have.

Hang in there brother.

3. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gc2b binders are looser, more comfortable and less restrictive. Underworks binders are tighter, and will flatten more. Black Underworks ones are stretchier than white ones. There's also Les Loveboat, which I don't know mich about, but is widely trusted.

If you have back problems, you might prefer binders that cover your entire abdomen rather than half-ones. Personally, I prefer ones that end past by ribs because if it bunches up around my hips it makes me dysphoric. I've found that long ones can make your stomach look slightly flatter and that half-binders compress a little better than full ones.

Don't get anything on Amazon, they're too tight and will hurt you. I've also heard T-Kingdom can be dangerous.

4. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have one from Gc2b and one from underworks, though they are not the same style so it is kind of hard to compare. My Gc2b one is a white half tank and the underworks is full length and black. Personally I prefer my underworks binder, though it is way too hot in the summer. It was a little cheaper as well and seems to be a little more durable. My Gc2b binder has a string hanging down the front already.

But lots of people swear by Gc2b and that company specifically caters to transmen whereas underworks binders were originally intended for cis men with gynecomastia. (Sidenote: Google gynecomastia if you want to feel slightly better about your chest. Some of these cis guys even have real /nice/ tits! haha)

5. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a big fan of my LesLoveBoat velcro binder. It's easy to take on and off because of the velcro, and I can adjust it to different levels of tightness depending on how I'm feeling that day. I don't personally know how well it works with larger chests. If you have a larger chest, I've heard gc2b is best. Underworks is a solid choice too.

What closure type you should get is up to personal preference. The ones with hooks are much more likely to be low quality and unsafe, but you're unlikely to find those on a reputable site. Any binder you can get from gc2b, Underworks, or LesLoveBoat is likely to be safe, so the style is up to you.

6. UnknownHuman

Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm a big fan of GC2B binders and I have quite the collection
    They pull on like a t-shirt and half the time I forget I'm wearing mine.

I had ordered my first binders without my mums knowledge and I just assume she think I wear them because I hated wearing bras? Im sure if you do end up buying a binder your parents will be able to see how much more comfortable you are and might open up more, and become more supportive.

Sorry if I wasn't much help but I hope you find a solution