1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multisexual poll

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dreamcatcher, Jan 22, 2017.

?

Multisexuals... How do you identify as?

1. Cisgender bisexual/queer man

24.2%
  2. Cisgender bisexual/queer woman

30.3%
  3. Transgender bisexual/queer man

33.3%
  4. Transgender bisexual/queer woman

3.0%
  5. nonbinary bisexual/queer person

9.1%
  1. dreamcatcher

So people always say that there are more bisexual women than bisexual males and I'm curious to see if that is true, even on a forum such as this. So if you are in any way attracted to more than one gender, pick an option and let's see the results!

2. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just like how males typically have either a low IQ or a high IQ, they are also usually on one side of the spectrum or the other. While females tend to have a more fluid sexuality. However, I think most people might be able to get into trying the other side once. So anyway, yes, it is more common for a bisexual person to be female than male. I think. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about lol.

3. dreamcatcher

But is it due to nature or nurture? I personally believe that there are probably equal number of male and female bisexuals but it's just more acceptable for a woman to be bisexual than a man due to the strict gender roles. Hence, why you see very few bisexual males out of the closet. So I just wanted to test it. I know this test isn't valid and will probably not tell me much but I thought it would be fun to see the results anyway.

#3 dreamcatcher, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  4. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just curious as to why you specified cis and trans? Not a big deal, just wondering.

5. Embi

Embi Guest

I believe it's probably due to nurture. Just looking at society and how women in same-sex relationships are treated compared to men, it makes a lot of sense why bisexual men might hide their "gay side". Two women kissing is perceived as hot, two men kissing as gross. A bisexual man is perceived as gay, a bisexual woman as straight. Two women can make out and people often keep thinking they are straight, but if a man kisses another man, people will immediately think he is gay.

Both views are harmful, but I do think it's generally easier for women to identify as bisexual because people will more likely "just" react as if they were actually straight (which sucks, I currently have to deal with it), while people believe bisexual men are actually hiding they are gay and might have to deal with nasty reactions.

But this is just my theory.

6. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm curious to know this too, OP.

7. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is a factor.

8. SiKiHe

maybe the idea was that if biology plays a role in sexuality, then bio-sex might make trans men more likely to be bisexual? if we're following the whole "women are more likely to be bisexual" idea

9. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not bi myself, so I won't comment on the poll to not mess results up. But I wanted to comment on this part of the discussion anyway (really hope you don't mind) because I have input there.

I do think part of this is nurture. Think about experimenting. A straight woman can experiment with women, even continue sleeping with them for "fun" but not be labeled a lesbian (or even bi in some cases). If a man experiments with other men, he's always labeled as 100% gay. Not even bisexual. Completely gay. Bisexual man face the one drop rule in regards to their sexuality. They can only be seen as gay for being with men, never bi. Even on this forum we see people saying any guy who experiments with men is "gay" in denial, but rarely do the same people treat women who are experimenting as "closet lesbians".

Most existing bi men identify as gay or straight. This is especially true if the bi guy prefers women since straight women are downright nasty and hateful to bi men. Admitting they like men will forever harm their dating pool. In comparison, straight men are not against dating bi women and even fetishize them (though that is a problem on It's own). So women can get away with more experimentation than men can.

Even saying female sexuality is fluid is completely environmental/social. It's not biological. Hence why women never experimented in ancient rome (but men did) but so many do now. It's because of social expectations. And a lot of the time it's for sexist reasons that believe bi women = straight and bi men = gay. For example, if a gay guy willingly has sex with women or marries one, he's always going to be seen as gay and was hiding it the whole time. If a lesbian does the same, she's forever seen as fluid or bisexual for her past, even if she was closeted and never liked men at all. There's a pressure for women to be at least bicurious and for men to be just gay or straight.

10. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I suppose you're right. Though I think this should have been specified earlier to avoid confusion, because that reasoning could be problematic if the question being asked is whether or not there are "more bisexual women than bisexual males".

11. RMember1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's pretty clear that bisexuality is more 'acceptable' for women vs. men. Nobody really wants to acknowledge that men can be bisexual, people just default to "if he likes guys, he's gay" or "he's simply lying, he just isn't out of the closet as gay yet". There's talk about how rigid male sexuality is without acknowledging masculine culture that makes men less 'allowed' to acknowledge if they have fluidity in the first place.

I know though that girls are often accused of being 'fake' because of social stigmas/'experimenting' as well, but I do think it's easier for females to be open about bisexuality rather than males.

12. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suppose that is true. Might have some good statistical relevance.

13. dreamcatcher

I agree. I even read a statistic that bisexual men are the most closeted group among the LGBT community. And it's for reasons like this. That's why I often question when people say that women are more fluid than men. How can we really know that when most of them are in the closet due to the culture that we have created?

I don't mind at all! Discuss away :slight_smile: I 100% agree with everything you wrote. I've read some articles on female sexuality and many of them seem to indicate that women are more fluid but it always bothers me how there are barely any studies on male sexual fluidity. I feel like if society were more accepting of male sexual fluidity, we would definitely see more equal amounts of male and female bisexuals.

Exactly! It definitely has statistical relevance. Maybe if there are in fact more cis bisexual women, then maybe we would see more bisexual transwomen than bi transmen because it's been shown that trans people have brains similar to their experienced gender. Or maybe we will see more bisexual transmen due to biological sex. It's definitely a variable that should be looked at so I thought it would be important to add the distinction.

14. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

As I trans woman, I can definitely attest to this. Even before I knew, I always felt my brain was way more female, and my reactions to things were more feminine, such as crying when upset(or at least wanting to but choking it back), even when I'm angry I sometimes feel the urge to cry, lashing out in a "bitchy" sort of way, etc.

And whatdya know, I'm bi too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. SiKiHe

I think mine is more circumstantial. I'm much more attracted to women, but I think having to understand my sexuality and gender led me to being more open to just finding love at all. Which I thankfully did in my fiance. But since he's a guy, and I'm openly more attracted to women, Bisexual seems like the most fitting term.

16. Terry Ja

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would love to be with a Transgender bisexual/queer man.